Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    the problem with a boycott. is that it needs a majority of the fans to do it. As well as it affecting Marvel profits in a very signficant way. Otherwise it's just wasted imo.
    agreed. it has to be the decision of the fans if they want to save what's left of the x-men from marvel or not. i have already made my decision.

Fantastic Member

the problem with a boycott. is that it needs a majority of the fans to do it. As well as it affecting Marvel profits in a very signficant way. Otherwise it's just wasted imo.
    The incident would affect the distributors, the "damage" to Marvel (being optimistic) in a period of one year.

Of course with all the financial problems that have suffered, should already have some measures to protect themselves.

A mass boycott is implausible to begin with but if it was possible to achieve, it should be done to non-X-titles. However, Marvel has shown they don't care about existing demand. They'll try as hard as they possibly can to generate demand where it doesn't currently exist. e.g. the many Inhumans books

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Luckily I started reading post AvX so that part doesn't bother me one bit.
    "Luckily" isn't the word I'd use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    What about the people who love and enjoy current X-Men comics? What about the fans (old & new) who look forward to this new status quo? Do they not count? Would it be fair to them?
    We don't count. Those who don't follow the hive-mind are part of the problem. Go figure.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Mighty Member

It's funny, but I ended up taking Joe Q's advice to 'don't like, don't buy' not out of spite, but purely because I really didn't like them anymore! The loss of Rogue to the Avengers, the replacement of Logan by a teenage girl has put the final nail in the coffin, so to speak.

I tried very hard to read AvX recently, but gave up halfway through - the whole thing was an Avengers lovefest, and I honestly find how right wing the Avengers and SHIELD are lately a bit disturbing.

Luckily there are some great indies about.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Now that you mention it, that could've been pretty cool. And would've allowed Marvel to stick to their guns about keeping Logan dead. As it stands, using OML is kind of a cop out. Not that I'm complaining. I love the character.

But I really enjoyed the interaction between Cable and Jean when they were on an X-men team together briefly during Claremont's return to the X-men in the late 90s (the whole "Revolution" era), and her being a teenager at this point would've added a whole new dimension. So that is an interesting thought.

And Cable could've easily filled the OML role of protective, older veteran warrior guy. So, yeah, I guess I kind of agree with you there. Either way, though, I would be entertained as I love both characters. Guess I just like the grizzled vets.
    I remember that myself; Cable was great back then.

I wish Marvel wasn't so obsessed with replacing long established characters with kid versions of themselves. Why not bring back the original Jean? What's going to happen to the original Cykes now they have a 17 year old version of him? And why kill off Logan to replace him with X"£ - even her fans are dubious on that one?

The irony is there are some great teen characters already around, why not use them more instead of the 05?

Don't really disagree. I'm not really feeling the teen O5 being here anymore, and the interaction between Tean and Old Man Logan, while it could be interesting, seems like it will get old kind of fast. Having this old guy be conflicted because here is one of the great loves of his life, alive again but very young, and adopting this super protective posture over her because "she represents the best of us" or some such trope could get played out real fast and feel a bit hamfisted if overdone.

We'll see, I suppose. IMO this has already been done, albeit slightly differently, first with Logan and Jubilee back in the day and more recently with Cable and Hope. And there the father-daughter relationship felt real and organic and developed over time (i.e., not forced).

If they wanted that type of dynamic Cable and Hope would've probably worked better in EXM than Tean and OML. But I do really like OML so I'm glad he's now in the new Marvel U regardless.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 09-23-2015 at 03:43 AM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

The benefit of advocating a boycott is that you get to take credit for the lower, sub-Bendis sales these new X-books are bound to have. It's like when "Vote for the worst" took credit for keeping bad people around on American Idol. Did they really have an impact? Doubtful, but it made a good narrative.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    And why kill off Logan to replace him with X"£ - even her fans are dubious on that one?
    Speak for yourself. I and many of her fans LOVE the idea. The only real concern being raised is that she remain true to herself and makes the Wolverine name her own, rather than changing who SHE is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Speak for yourself. I and many of her fans LOVE the idea. The only real concern being raised is that she remain true to herself and makes the Wolverine name her own, rather than changing who SHE is.
    This is the fear with many of these things isn't it, Hulk, Cap, Thor etc? Wolverine has been offed so Laura, instead of making a name for herself and selling a book in her own right, is piggy-backing of the Wolverine name. The character has been developed very well over the years, from generic Wolverine clone to a young girl struggling to come to terms with who she is and repercussions of that.

Wolverine hasn't even been dead for a year before Old Man Logan came to the 616 and Laura took his mantle yet the fans of Logan want to read him and fans of Laura want her. The main question is will the fans of either be happy with the result?

As a longtime Wolverine fan (20+ years) I'm happy. I get to jump in with a fresh start and a very cool future version of Logan, while also getting to see how his protege handles the mantle. Should make for some interesting reading. And I'm just not hung up on the whole "but it's not our Logan" issue of him not being the 616 version. As far as I'm concerned there is no 616 anymore. Just a new Marvel U that closely resembles it. And this Logan is from a future where the villains won and he's out to prevent that. Easy enough.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

It depends on what you want to accomplish. If your main concern is the books would boycotting them help the franchise or cause it more harm. If you are boycotting books are you boycotting other merchandise also. With X-Merchandise becoming scarce and Marvel Execs making statements such as the X-men are not as popular, a boycott would really be counter productive merchandise wise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    It depends on what you want to accomplish. If your main concern is the books would boycotting them help the franchise or cause it more harm. If you are boycotting books are you boycotting other merchandise also. With X-Merchandise becoming scarce and Marvel Execs making statements such as the X-men are not as popular, a boycott would really be counter productive merchandise wise.
    lol, what merchandise? The cancelled statues? Their huge presence in mobile games (JK, they don't have one)? Some lame Deadpool (Not an XMan) action figure?

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Complexed View Post
    lol, what merchandise? The cancelled statues? Their huge presence in mobile games (JK, they don't have one)? Some lame Deadpool (Not an XMan) action figure?
    I know the lack of merchandise, especially console video games is a knife in my heart. On a positive note Kotobuykiya has a couple more X-statues coming out, i know it's not much but if what little merchandise we do get is boycotted and does not sell well it may discourage manufactures to even make products for sale.Thus feeding the narrative that X-merch is not a big seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    WORD.

Its a welcome progression of her character imho.

....or I'm blinded by enthusiasm for Logan's exclusion...