Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Name the last comic book you read that you genuinely would tout as literature and state why.

I can't do it...
    I can name more than a few runs, Tom King's Vision, Saladin Ahmed's Black Bolt, Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk.
    I can go on, the point is gatekeeping what counts as cinema or literature is nothing but stupid, immature and narrow minded.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 11-09-2019 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Name the last comic book you read that you genuinely would tout as literature and state why.

I can't do it...
    Maus, March, Sandman, Yossel, Any of Will Eisners's GNs, Bone, Kirby and Lee's FF, Moore's Swampthing, Xenozoic Tales......

Because they are.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I compare it with the adaptations of Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth. It's not the concept or idea, but how it is executed. The 1959 version had the right intentions, but today both the movie and the effects feels dated. Imagine if you could make a present day version of the story, with all the tools available today. They could have done it, but instead with got the rollercoaster ride with Dwayne Johnson.

The point is that in my opinion, it's how the Marvel movies are executed that matters, not the fact that they are Marvel movies.

Here is some irony. Scorcese made a wonderful unappreciated film, "Hugo", which among other things was about the great silent film maker George Melies. Who made magical fantasy movies short on plot and character, but filled with special effects.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    I think Scorsese & Coppola are incorrectly expressing their displeasure. I get they don’t enjoy the super hero movies. They made their names in an era when studios weren’t really aiming for a monster audience. The idea of making a movie appealing to virtually everyone just wasn’t a prevailing thought. It had been like that in the 50’s & 60’s but after a series of expensive flops, studios saw the value in letting a director craft a film with a specific vision rather than targeting the widest audience. That’s where you get something like “Easy Rider”. It wouldn’t appeal to grandma & grandpa but it spoke to a certain age group and made money. It wasn’t really until “Jaws” that studios starting the trend of the summer popcorn films that would appeal to everyone.

To say Marvel films aren’t art however is absurd. The original “King Kong” from 1933 is art. “Star Wars” is art. “Shaft” is art. I think his problem is that yearly lists of top grossing films are dominated by super heroes or some type of animation. It’s not occasionally but just about every year. It’s surprising that a different type of film doesn’t crack the top 10 occasionally. Maybe they do and I just am not aware. I live in a smaller town so our selection isn’t the best. I love all these films but sometimes I even go “geez another comic book movie?” I get these guys don’t enjoy the movies but to trash them is just silly.

Look at the actors. I’m sure they enjoy working on the Marvel movies but I’d think some get tired of acting against a blue screen all the time.

I remember reading that Robert Redford contacted Marvel to do one of these movies, because he wanted to experience working on an FX-heavy, green screen type movie. And it seems to me that when an older actor shows up for a roll now, it's because they called up Marvel and expressed an interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    if you want a scorsese Netflix fight, tell scorsese to take a dig at Spielberg but Spielberg is also one of his buddies, who thinks comic movies will fade into trash cans. these directors may have differences but superhero films are like a common enemy now.
    I can honestly see Scorsese's point, though I don't agree with it. But for Spielberg to be complaining is laughable, given how many similar tropes are in almost all of his movies (usually a child of divorce and a single parent). Though at least he has branched out and tried different things over the years, from Schindler's List to Amistad.

As for Coppala- who gives a **** what he thinks? Has he even directed a movie in the last 20 years that have found an audience? I won't deny he's made some classics, but the last movie I've heard of that he directed was 'Jack', and I think his last wide release was 'The Rainmaker', and those were back in 1996 and 1997. Him speaking out just screams of someone who is trying to be relevant again.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It’s not going to be popular on here, but he didn’t say anything wrong. It’s okay to like McDonald’s but don’t get mad when someone doesn’t want it because it’s fast food.
    What do you mean its not going to be popular on here? it is becoming a popular opinion to agree with Scorsese. I know some marvel fans here who have said, they know marvel movies are nothing more shallow entertainment. the only thing I don't agree with, with them is when they try to say all comics movies are shallow entertainment like marvel. NOT TRUE.

Scorsese could have said this comment in 1978, or in 2000 or in 2008. the superhero backlash blame goes to how Disney has handled Marvel ever since they bought the rights, they took a very good world like marvel and leveled it too something that does not reflect the depth of the comics
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-07-2019 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    I somehow doubt that people are going to suddenly stop showing up to MCU movies or that studios and theaters are going to suddenly stop wanting billions of dollars just because a few directors (no matter how many classics they've put out) are feeling salty.
    I never said , People will not show up. What I said is, the so called critics are powerless when scorsese opens his mouth. but then again critics have been powerless for a long time, just look at Joker.

Scorseses complaining is literally "Ok boomer" levels of ridiculousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Marvel movies are not a deep reflection of the comics. Marvel movies are a reflection of a well oiled formula. There would not be much backlash against marvel if marvel actually borrowed more from the comics than from Disney feeble lore.

Sounds like what James Cameron said, I would not call him tone deaf but insightful. I say this with quote from James: “I’m hoping we’ll start getting Avenger fatigue here pretty soon. Not that I don’t love the movies. It’s just, come on guys, there are other stories to tell besides hyper-gonadal males without families doing death-defying things for two hours and wrecking cities in the process. It’s like, oy!”
    https://www.screengeek.net/2019/05/0...ngers-fatigue/

I hope the mods don't see this as marvel bashing but I wanted people to really understand why I was against all the big land massive cgi fights that always happened in avengers. I called avengers movies animated sequences, Scorsese says they are theme parks. Its just not good film making that is supposes to help comic movies gain a better reputation.

Marvel is perceived the way it is because they have always cared more about the superficial elements of comics. The destruction of a whole city, in some instances a whole planet takes up over 50-70% % of the film. That is not storytelling in the manner Scorsese thinks about Cinema. That said, the audience has changed as well.
    Trivia for today. did you know Infinity Wars is a movie that is 90% CGI? The producers said so.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

As for Coppala- who gives a **** what he thinks? Has he even directed a movie in the last 20 years that have found an audience? I won't deny he's made some classics, but the last movie I've heard of that he directed was 'Jack', and I think his last wide release was 'The Rainmaker', and those were back in 1996 and 1997. Him speaking out just screams of someone who is trying to be relevant again.
    Coppala is not trying to be relevant again. He gave up making movies on his own because he wanted to be a vintner and hotelier. Which he has been wildly successful at. It's interesting that he just doesn't like the current studio big-budget franchise mentality. But I think he could find a way to still make the movies he wants to, the way Scorcese does. He was probably just tired of the whole thing and chose a different path. He purportedly hated making Dracula. And didn't want to be a "work for hire" director again.

Screenrant had just written an article in response to Scorsese comments on their website that says marvel is beginning to damage the genre. Not like I have not said that before here. the irony since screenrant is a marvel friendly site.

https://screenrant.com/marvel-movies...-damaging-bad/

I will always say it, the worst thing that ever happened to the genre was

1. marvel creating a cinematic universe that was too heavily connected to eachother unlike their comics.

2. Disney buying Marvel and creating a bad film formula, with little film making process.

put those two together is a terrible combination that can do damage.

Maybe we needed Scorsese to say it because no one in the press listened when Mangold, Singer or even James Cameron said it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    He needs to stop fetishizing theaters. There’s more variety and quality content than ever before thanks to streaming. In the coming months I’ll be renting 2019 art films like Parasite, The Lighthouse, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, A Hidden Life, and The Farewell. The best part is that I won’t have to sit in a theater next to some bloated corpse shoveling popcorn down his throat or some idiot’s screeching goblin.
    Hey! I'm starting keto now bro, GIVE ME SOME TIME!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Seems to be a prevailing trend among the MCU bashers. They haven't really watched the movies but atleast Scorsese is being honest about not having watched them. Unlike some other ppl….
    Well, I’ve watched the movies and Scorsese is 100% right.

Avengers editor thinks Scorsese has a point but still says there are some good with mcu. Only things is the bad has outdone the good for the last 6-7 years in my opinion.

https://www.cbr.com/avengers-endgame...rtin-scorsese/

BANNED

Why are some people offended by Scorsese’s opinion? He was asked a question and he gave his honest opinion.