Spectacular Member

Default Age of Conan setting

Hi I was wondering since Marvel got back the Age of Conan setting back again I was wondering is this setting still officially open to new fiction, the problem is that the Two famous characters are each owned by a holding company.

I want to create new Official characters in that world,

LW

Spectacular Member

Um folks since no one has replied to my posting, I was wondering about the fact of creating new characters set in the Age of Conan, hence why I've bin reading Savage Sword Conan Magazine.

There are so many holding companies for Howard created characters, I also bin reading Red Sonja comics and Dark Horse Conan comics as well.

Is there any way for a 21th Century Man to come too the Age of Conan?,

LW

Just write your own age, man.

It's what Howard would have done.

I think Marvel is planning to bring Solomon Kane, Dark Agnes etc, to the Marvel universe. Personally I wished they kept the REH stuff in a separate pocket universe.

Spectacular Member

Well I don't want to get officially in trouble with the many holding companies that own the rights to Howard characters, and there's Marvel/Disney.

The Mouse can be mean when comes to those it feels that are creatively crossing there lines so to speak,

Since Red Sonja is over at Dynamite Comics so I want my character to officially meet each character many times,

Unlike Conan's Creator I don't think City life is bad or Corrupt,

LW

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by lwhitehead View Post
    Hi I was wondering since Marvel got back the Age of Conan setting back again I was wondering is this setting still officially open to new fiction, the problem is that the Two famous characters are each owned by a holding company.

I want to create new Official characters in that world,

LW
    I am not a lawyer and you should speak with one for commercial usage.

It depends, and if your going for commercial usage you'd want to get with a lawyer who specializes in trademark to get the rundown on what you can and can't use. The original novels according to Google would've fallen into public domain as of 2007 according to the UK. I am not sure if the same is the case for an American court but you might want to check with that if you are based in the United States and in-general.

In-general you can likely do it similar to the original Blue Beetle where you can make stories in the settings of the original books, but cannot use newer incarnations who are under different studios. So you would likely be able to use the characters and world of the original (likely even allowing your own characters), but you cannot use anything by Darkhorse or Marvel. Still, you should probably check with a lawyer to give you proper advice on how to proceed.

And if what I'm seeing is true, the characters themselves might be under different companies and so you would want to check if you need to pay a license.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Spectacular Member

Dam I though so Both Marvel, Darkhorse and Dynamite have very good lawyers and I'm Canadian.

I've planned for this problem for Fantasy Sword and Sorcery setting nothing beats Russia for a Nation for Fantasy specially in late Middle Ages and when the Tsars first came around, I don't want too sound hateful but in History Russia has bin seen as a Nation that had to catch up to the rest the Europe and the Western world.

Ivan is based on Ivan the IV, but Robert used another name for Cossacks but with a K.

LW