View Poll Results: Married Scott & Emma "doing it" during mindlink...is it adultery?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

69 78.41%
  • No

14 15.91%
  • It doesn't matter to me. No Comment

5 5.68%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I... want to say yes. Just because there have been numerous times where powerful telepaths have been established to be able to psychically do things to people, that their physical bodies react (physical manifestations of injuries encurred during a psychic attack). Hell, Emma bragged during Morrison's run about knocking out the press assembled outside the school with the throes of ecstasy. So...

In the biblical sense, it's not. It's not just "impure thoughts", though. It's as real as the real thing can get, if a telepath wants it to be.

Let's just rate it somewhere in or around a handy, and call it a day.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 05-11-2014 at 03:42 AM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Anis View Post
    From what I've read they did nothing of sort. If anything they s*** on his character just for the sake of cheap melodrama. They did that with they wanted him to dumb Maddie for Jean and they did it again to replace Jean with Emma. For the character that's supposed to a boring straight up good guy Marvel seem to have fun shitting on his image..

My point exactly.. Marvel never tried to protect his character. That's character assassination right there.
    I kind of disagree, but ill go into more detail to explain. The Cyke situation was meant to be uncomfortable, but not boundaries. Not unlike Jean/Wolverine kiss lets remember. They were showing the marriage was in trouble and both sides were a bit lost in the chaos. The thing is Jeans was easily brushed off. They've done it before, and nothing really materializes. Even with a kiss, its almost treated like there was nothing physical and it was more flirty behavior. Scotts was deceitful and intimate. So while they both were somewhat unfaithful, Scotts is about fifty times worse and I dont think they expected that.

As for the graveyard. It was meant to be poetic closure to the story. Remember the story starts at the grave. World falls apart because Cyke cant get over Jeans death (aww what a show of love, how honorable). Jean finds the problem, fixes it and pushes Scott into Emmas arms (its not his choice anymore, it was Jeans to do this). Now we cut back to the same scene as before and see the exact moment a new timeline was born. The kiss on the grave wasnt intended to be a "**** you Jean", it was meant to show the new beginning. They planted the seeds for Scott to be absolved of guilt for moving on with Emma. However as readers that isn't what we see. We see Jean saving the day and being selfless again, and Scott pissing on her grave for it.

But wasn't Jean's death a heroic one? Agree with everything else btw.
    No it wasn't heroic. Jean flew back from the sun with Wolverine, stood and watched Magneto get defeated, then walked up and leaned over him for no reason, where he then killed her by touching her....the fucking phoenix. It was THE biggest pile of **** ive ever seen in comics. #1 on the list. They were like "... uhhhh... so lets just kill Jean out of nowhere, for no reason, in a retarded situation... because why not.... and we need Scott and Emma to hook up." (sorry, it gets my blood pressure up)

I always wonder why they did that (pushing Scott/Emma paring).. If they didn't want Scott and Jean as a couple there're so many way to break them up without making one character a dick and another a dead woman. What good about not having Jean around? They could've kept both Emma and Jean.
    They pushed Scott/Emma to freshen things up in the universe. Scott/Jean had no more story to tell. In the entertainment business, functional relationships dont last. Emma is a great character, and popular, and shes practically naked all the time. Sex sells. It certainly had nothing to do with the pairing itself, because it was awkward and unnatural for a while, and so bloody forced. In the long run things fit into place, but it was pretty bad to begin with.

As for Jean, they were going to suffer backlash for breaking them up no matter what. Keeping Jean out of the picture makes things more acceptable because shes off the table. If she were hanging around fans would have hounded for it. Secondly shes hard to keep alive with the Phoenix powers (Morrison had to keep her out of every conflict pretty much, and use her powers in other ways). Third they like her as a dead character. Scott gets to brood about it, other people get to be all sad. So she got thrown away to boost the rest of the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    So did the two of them actually have sex telepathically, or did they always just talk and Emma appeared dressed like Jean while they did so? That scene with them about take their clothes off, was that their first time actually trying to have sex telepathically or had it already happened?
    I think that this scene means the answer to the first question is yes.

But maybe some would disagree?

BANNED

Well yes. That's life. Scott changed and doesn't love Jean as he loved her before. If they truly love each other they shoul dundertsand that and jyst wish thge other one is happy even if ot's not with the one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    So did the two of them actually have sex telepathically, or did they always just talk and Emma appeared dressed like Jean while they did so? That scene with them about take their clothes off, was that their first time actually trying to have sex telepathically or had it already happened?
    It was all telepathic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    I think that this scene means the answer to the first question is yes.

But maybe some would disagree?

You left out the best part...Emma's face in the final panel.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Yes, yes it is adultery.

Classic case of two wrongs totally making a right.

BANNED

Yes. But meh, Jean cheated first. Scott just did it better and totally one upped her.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    They have all the best intentions for him, but the decisions they make on his behalf usually end up hurting him in the long run. Ultimately, you just have to let him stand on his own merits as a character
    Well, objectivity says otherwise. Especially considering the character is much more popular now than he was in the 90's.
    Last edited by Optic Rage!; 05-11-2014 at 07:43 AM.

The strict definitions of adultery/affair/cheating always include the sexual aspect of things, hence why Scott was very insistent on the fact that he and Emma never did anything in the physical world. But he was also confused by the telepathic angle, "They were just thoughts, right?" or some quote similar to that. This is the sticky wicket because while sex is the ultimate endgame in most cases, unfaithfulness in a monogamous relationship comes down to a betrayal of intimacy, one party offering something to someone else that should be exclusive to his or her partner. And for many the emotional aspect of the relationship is just as if not more important than the physical side.

As an example consider the movie Love Actually. In it Alan Rickman's character is married to Emma Thompson with a couple kids, but he ends up becoming infatuated with his new secretary. They speak regularly and the conversations become more flirtatious as time goes on, but other than that they don't actually do anything. I don't think they ever so much as hold hands. But Rickman does end up buying his secretary an expensive necklace for Christmas and his wife finds out about it. She's understandably hurt and Rickman realizes he's been an idiot about the whole thing and while he's not guilty of full on adultery most agree that he's been unfair to his wife.

In Scott's case, if we take the trouble in paradise and sexual therapy angle out of it, it's perfectly natural that he would have sexual thoughts about another woman even though he's committed to Jean. It wouldn't be the first time. And that's ok. Most everyone does it and it's not something you can really help. Where it becomes a problem is that those thoughts became actively engaged with another willing mind, and with a telepath as strong as Emma is the mental landscape can be just as real as the physical one. So while they may have only been acting mentally, by their perception there wasn't much difference.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Optic Rage! View Post
    Well, objectivity says otherwise. Especially considering the character is much more popular now than he was in the 90's.
    Is that actually true though? Sure the old Cyclops wasn't as popular compared to his cast mates but the X-Men also had a lot more fans back then as well.

It's probably a rebalancing of the ratio. Fewer fans over all but Cyclops gaining new fans while retaining old ones. Scott has been the undisputed #1 mover and shaker in the franchise for the past several years, so fans will respond to that in some way as opposed to the old days where he was one among many and mainly there as the cooler head amongst a group of maniacs.

So when this happened during NXM what was worst Cyke's psychic affair, or Jean physically kissing Logan several times. One can say Jean did it cause Cyke wasn't giving her any, but she did it anyways. Cyke did not stop either.
    Last edited by OpticDreams; 05-11-2014 at 11:09 AM.
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpticDreams View Post
    So when this happened during NXM what was worst Cyke's psychic affair, or Jean physically kissing Logan several times. One can say Jean did it cause Cyke wasn't giving her any, but she did it anyways. Cyke did not stop either.
    Yeah you know you're relationship is doomed to fail when there's the mere idea of a love triangle with that neanderthal.

I dunno. I kind of like Scott and Jean together when it's in something like X-Men Evolution or X-Men: First Class (the comic) where there's an innocence to the relationship, but that's obviously far from how X-Men canon goes.
    Last edited by Kid A; 05-11-2014 at 10:15 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    The strict definitions of adultery/affair/cheating always include the sexual aspect of things, hence why Scott was very insistent on the fact that he and Emma never did anything in the physical world. But he was also confused by the telepathic angle, "They were just thoughts, right?" or some quote similar to that. This is the sticky wicket because while sex is the ultimate endgame in most cases, unfaithfulness in a monogamous relationship comes down to a betrayal of intimacy, one party offering something to someone else that should be exclusive to his or her partner. And for many the emotional aspect of the relationship is just as if not more important than the physical side.
    Yes. You can also see this as psychic sex, therefore, it's sex but in the plan of our soul which is you. So, it's indeed adultery. It reminds me a bit opf the movie "Her" which is really great when it comes to what is "love".

What a lot of people are missing from this is that Scott was suffering from PTSD after being possessed by Apocalypse. This is even acknowledged within story at one point by Jean herself (hence why she is more angry at Emma than him). There is a reason relationships between therapists and patients are viewed as unethical in real life and what Emma did here could be considered taking advantage of a mentally and emotionally vulnerable person (especially since she initiated the affair).

Quote Originally Posted by sabongero View Post
    A couple of years ago, I was just browsing through the graphic novels section at a Barnes and Nobles. I haven't read an X-Men comic book since Storm defeated Scott for leadership of the X-Men in issue #201. Yeah, that was a long time ago.

At the time, after a long hiatus of not reading comic books, I was surprised that the White Queen was one of the good guys. Then Scott and an alive Jean Grey in the trade paperback were husband and wife, but Emma and Scott were doing The Nasteeee. And Emma was on her Phoenix dress, which made me laugh. Then Jean catches them by minlinking with them.

Now here's the thing, Emma and Scott have been doing this but in their mind together only. Now is this considered cheating on your wife? The sex happened in their mind, but not physically. It was in the mind, but both conscious and shared thoughts. I never even thought of such a concept until I came across this X-Men TPB.

Can someone explain to me why this is cheating or why this is not cheating? Thanks for sharing your thoughts here.
    i hate infidelity and absolutely adore Scott/Emma as a pair, BUT it is cheating, all adultery and cheating begins with a thought...
    IN CYCLOPS WE TRUST.
    Cyclops fans, stay true, stay humble, stay strong.