Page 125 of 667 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175225625 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 10005

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    There are a number of companies I avoid. Ones like Chic-Fil-A, others where the owner is a Big Republican/Trump supporter, like Nathan's Hot Dog. You can't boycott everyone, but you can try to make sure your money doesn't support the most egregious ones.
    I'm kinda big on this (****, didn't know that about Nathan's, glad I've not eaten more than a few of their Dogs in life). Big corporate avoidance is harder than it has ever been yet easier at the same time- for some things, if that makes sense. It's a tangled nest and this Trump tariff hammer is gonna be huge I feel. Larger capital items are not in the short term budget for the foreseeable future in my household but bay-bee, If our Chinese overlords really want to put the screws to us, than can. Their brick and mortar agents are full of their stuff. That's the tangible goods you can hold in your hand before you purchase, I don't know what people do who purchase the majority of things on the interwebz. I feel I'm gonna wake up and all of the Dollar stores will be becoming $3 dollar stores. Looking for American made products is part time work in of itself.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

There are a number of companies I avoid. Ones like Chic-Fil-A, others where the owner is a Big Republican/Trump supporter, like Nathan's Hot Dog. You can't boycott everyone, but you can try to make sure your money doesn't support the most egregious ones.
    I didn't know about Nathan's. I avoid Jimmy John's because of the 'no compete' clause they force every employee to sign - it basically means you can't work anywhere that serves any combination of meat and bread. Thankfully, I leave closer to a Kneader's and a Capriotti's than a Jimmy John's, so the loss is minimal.
    Dark does not mean deep.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Okay, where did this come from?

Rex Tillerson, a man who is “dumb as a rock” and totally ill prepared and ill equipped to be Secretary of State, made up a story (he got fired) that I was out-prepared by Vladimir Putin at a meeting in Hamburg, Germany. I don’t think Putin would agree. Look how the U.S. is doing!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Geezus! How long has it been since Tillerson left/was fired? More proof Trump is seriously incapable of letting go of a grudge.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Imagine what would happen if someone went to court and argued: "Yes, they might have run over a kid while driving drunk, and maybe they could have done more to prevent that, but it's really the kid's fault for trying to cross the street while they were driving. There are just too many kids crossing streets these days to miss them all."

I just don't buy it. Any system that involves using deliberate mistreatment as a deterrent is going to to have deaths at some point. The deaths aren't anomalous , they are the point.
    To go with the metaphor, we don't yet have evidence that anyone was driving drunk or who was in the car. There's a bit of a difference here on speculation. The sources suggest that it's not clear yet why the kids died in terms of negligence, whereas you think it's clear why and JCAII thinks the main cause of speculation is whether much worse has happened that we don't yet know about.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    That's kind of the Republican MO these days, their blatantly evil policies and their opponents' inability to do anything to hold them accountable for that is as potent a demonstration of their power as anything else.
    PwdOn, the article I cited is from Vox, which is hardly a Republican news outlet.

It's one thing to talk about punishment, but what's the solution?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Tillerson made some recent comments against Trump in an interview, and he does appear eager to speak with House Democrats, so there is new material to piss off the President.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    They're fine with it since it's 'just' the 'transgenders'. Plenty of gay people out there who reject the T in the LGBTQ, sad to say.

But, hey. They're Republicans so they're just fine with #$@$ you I got mine' right up until they end run their way to reinstituting discrimination everywhere they can. See legislation to help Chik-Fil-A

https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...=.1a5ca1a15cd6

Meanwhile, Chik-Fil-A continues to funnel millions into anti LGBTQ groups.
    The Republican legislation is in response to elected Democrats using the law to punish a fast food chain. The Democrats made the first move, and probably on a bad issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    The irony of this is that it would be in the Republican's benefit to jump on it. Seriously, with renewable energy sources you can produce locally and so you don't have to import nearly as much oil. Modifying cities and towns as well as upgrading gas stations and creating new locations would introduce much needed jobs. You introduce a tax incentive to the auto industry to introduce electric power into cars to eventually phase out oil so long as production is kept in the US. Therefore you can introduce jobs to the country and keep them there. As well as you can shut up the climate crowd and be hailed as heroes in the process. Phasing out oil wouldn't happen over night so you're looking at a decade or more of praise and job growth for that decision possibly keeping politicians in office.

It's baffling they don't at least consider the monetary benefit of this because that oil money is only as good as the source of it.
    From a purely economic perspective, the US benefits from some of those non-green policies. Our energy production is roughly 90% of consumption, and there are advantages to some non-renewable forms of energy (oil is easy to transport and cheap.)

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...us_energy_home

Other countries are failing to meet their goals.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.e01dfdd91e33

Renewable energy sources do have disadvantages in terms of costs and efficiency.

This isn't a case of pure upside. There are serious tradeoffs, even if you think a switch is necessary. And it's just about what the US does.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    To go with the metaphor, we don't yet have evidence that anyone was driving drunk or who was in the car. There's a bit of a difference here on speculation. The sources suggest that it's not clear yet why the kids died in terms of negligence, whereas you think it's clear why and JCAII thinks the main cause of speculation is whether much worse has happened that we don't yet know about.
    I remember around when this whole child detention thing started. In Virginia there were wild reports that children were regularly beaten, stripped naked, and strapped to chairs with bags on their head for full days. The government sent someone in to investigate these wild claims and found...they were basically true. But none of that legally constituted abuse *cough*bullshit*cough*, so it was allowed to continue. The Venn diagram overlap between the children we're legally torturing and those that actually die in out custody is completely academic in my eyes, so I stick by my analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I remember around when this whole child detention thing started. In Virginia there were wild reports that children were regularly beaten, stripped naked, and strapped to chairs with bags on their head for full days. The government sent someone in to investigate these wild claims and found...they were basically true. But none of that legally constituted abuse *cough*bullshit*cough*, so it was allowed to continue. The Venn diagram overlap between the children we're legally torturing and those that actually die in out custody is completely academic in my eyes, so I stick by my analogy.
    Do you have any links? Because the news items I found don't confirm that the worst allegations are true.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shenand...ped-to-chairs/

Initial stories in July suggested the main problem was that kids had mental health problems that were not dealt with adequately.

Many of the children were sent there after U.S. immigration authorities accused them of belonging to violent gangs, including MS-13. President Donald Trump has repeatedly cited gang activity as justification for his crackdown on illegal immigration.

Mr. Trump said Wednesday that "our Border Patrol agents and our ICE agents have done one great job" cracking down on MS-13 gang members. "We're throwing them out by the thousands," he said.

But a top manager at the Shenandoah center said during a recent congressional hearing that the children did not appear to be gang members and were suffering from mental health issues resulting from trauma that happened in their home countries -- problems the detention facility is ill-equipped to treat.
    The state review, ordered by a Democratic Governor, dealt with the use of restraints, and rejected the more outrageous claims.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...se-claims.html
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Answer me servant!! I was not acting crazy, correct?

"I watched Nancy and she was all crazy yesterday," President Trump says, asking Sarah Sanders what his tone was like during yesterday's meeting with Democrats.

"Very calm and straightforward and clear," Sanders says

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Do you have any links? Because the news items I found don't confirm that the worst allegations are true.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shenand...ped-to-chairs/

Initial stories in July suggested the main problem was that kids had mental health problems that were not dealt with adequately.

The state review, ordered by a Democratic Governor, dealt with the use of restraints, and rejected the more outrageous claims.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...se-claims.html
    I was using this one, but it's all basically the same.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...d-down-n900306

The fact that the investigators never interviewed the children making the claim, or their lawyers, should say it all.
    The people being accused of wrongdoing were the only ones allowed to tell their story, the rest were just crazy, that's not great.

EDIT: Though I was wrong on one point. They weren't proven to be doing all the things they were accused of. It's just that if they HAD been doing all the things they were accused of, it still wouldn't have legally been abuse. Thyat's on me, I misread that.
    Last edited by JCAll; 05-23-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I've never been a fan, even before the LGBT issues. Honestly something's happened to crunchy fast food chicken sandwiches in the last year or 2, and the only one that's not half-rubber is the Chicken Schnitzel from Weinershcnitzel.
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, I went there more for the chicken salad sammiches which I enjoyed. No matter, I can live without them.
    I have never eaten at Weinerschnitzel. Then again, I have never seen a Weinerschnitzel. It's mostly a California thing. I'm certain some users are the same whenever people make Dairy Queen comments.

Zapp's utter hatred of the Neutral Planet is a testament to his incompetence as a person, but also a brilliance of Futurama.

The weird thing is... asexuality ain't that bad. You just don't have that urge to boink (which, to some, sounds like a poor frame of words, but just hear me out), which for years was something that made me question why I thought I was bi, or even straight beforehand. When I had bloodwork done, the doctors told me I had healthy testosterone levels, which is something that meatheads and your online MRAs will always puff their chests and brag about is important due to misinterpreting science, or using "paleo-science". While having low levels of testosterone do impact one's sexual drive, that's not entirely a reason for someone to just not be inclined for a sexual relationship. You still want to be with people, though, because as I always attest, a person has their needs. It's just that those needs don't have to end up feeling like they're self servicing.

However, asexuality is one of those things that's even less understood that your standard LGBT, since, as I've stated, to many, the idea of a person uninterested in sex is just as, if not even more, frightening as one who is interested in the same gender, since you'll get your lame arguments like "You're ending your genetic line of thousands of years!" (the results also said that if I did have children, there was a good chance they'd deal with some form of disability, which I don't want to put on them, so back off, eugenist), or "you're missing out on the joys of parenthood!" (I can't stand kids on the bus or at the store, not to mention I had an physically abusive father and a terrible mother who was emotionally abusive and incompetent at child raising, plus coupled with my limited financial outlook, I don't want to raise a kid off welfare and potentially continue the cycle of bad parenting), and my personal favorite, "you're wasting the seed God gave you!" (eh, go preach that in Alabama).

As for picking and choosing places to avoid supporting, it can be tough. Like I said, given the limited resources I have to contend with, I'm stuck shopping at Walmart, which I know is a bummer considering their predatory practices and how they screw over their own employees (I haven't forgiven them for laying off hundreds of workers suddenly years ago when they shut down the Sam's Clubs), but I can avoid buying Nathan's Hot Dogs (I don't eat hot dogs as the nitrates give me headaches) and Chick-fil-A is not worth the price to support radical conservatives.

Damn. I like Nathan's hot dogs. I used to go to the original Nathan's all the time when I lived in Brooklyn. But then, that's the only time when boycotts really count, right? When we have to make a real sacrifice. A boycott doesn't really mean anything if you never bought anything from the company in the first place.

I mean, for instance, I recently read that the guy who started MyPillow.com is a big Trump supporter. But I never had any plans to purchase anything from MyPillow.com. So it wouldn't mean much for me to boycott them. But if I stop buying Nathan's hot dogs, it will be a bit of a sacrifice on my part. Not much, but at least I will be forgoing one small thing that I otherwise enjoy.
    Last edited by Malvolio; 05-23-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Tearful Theresa May resigns, paving way for Brexit confrontation with EU

Fighting back tears, British Prime Minister Theresa May said on Friday she would quit, triggering a contest that will bring a new leader to power who is likely to push for a more decisive Brexit divorce deal.

May's departure will deepen the Brexit crisis as a new leader is likely to want a more decisive split, raising the chances of a confrontation with the European Union and a potentially unpredictable snap parliamentary election.

May set out a timetable for her departure - she will resign as Conservative Party leader on June 7 with a leadership contest beginning the following week.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    I have never eaten at Weinerschnitzel. Then again, I have never seen a Weinerschnitzel. It's mostly a California thing. I'm certain some users are the same whenever people make Dairy Queen comments.
    I ate at Weinerschnitzel some when I lived in Texas but I was a kid and don't remember how anything tasted, but to hear my parents talk about it, it is the best thing you have never eaten. That and Whataburger--which I do remember quite well because that was a once-a-week-thing for years. And it was tasty.

Also, there are places without Dairy Queen? That seems weird.

Mighty Member

I thought this was interesting:

We’ve Hit a New Low in Campaign Hit Pieces
    https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...38156/#respond