Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default James Tynion IV debuts new vigilante CLOWNHUNTER

I like the idea. Design isn't memorable, but the concept is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I like the idea. Design isn't memorable, but the concept is good.
    Is it? It just kinda feels like a Jason Todd rip-off and the design being so weak (imo) doesn’t help. There’s a bunch of people who think Batman sucks because he doesn’t kill these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Is it? It just kinda feels like a Jason Todd rip-off and the design being so weak (imo) doesn’t help. There’s a bunch of people who think Batman sucks because he doesn’t kill these days.
    I don't think so - one of Joker's surviving victims seeks revenge on the clown. Different from Jason in that this was a normal non-sidekick victim, getting to see how some people would react to being the victim of this villain is a new angle. And it didn't say he thinks Batman sucks because he doesn't kill, just that this vigilante will. Maybe it won't go down the normal whiny path. However that's up to execution - concept is, my opinion, good and solid.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Sweet! Jason's new friend

Tynion really seems to be trying to expand the Joker "mythos."

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't think so - one of Joker's surviving victims seeks revenge on the clown. Different from Jason in that this was a normal non-sidekick victim, getting to see how some people would react to being the victim of this villain is a new angle. And it didn't say he thinks Batman sucks because he doesn't kill, just that this vigilante will. Maybe it won't go down the normal whiny path. However that's up to execution - concept is, my opinion, good and solid.
    After reading Tynion's newsletter my first feeling was, and still is, that Clownkiller is an amalgamation of Lonnie Machin/Anarky and Harper Row/Bluebird. Considering Tynion has written both of these characters in his Detective Comics run (and he co-created Harper with Snyder), these similarities might become more apparent the more we see him and the fallout of Joker War.

Lonnie Machin/Anarky
    • Has problem with the current system within Gotham and believes he can do better.
    • Is antagonistic towards Batman.
    • Doesn't believe Batman goes far enough.

Harper Row/Bluebird
    • Lives in The Narrows.
    • Death of a parent who was caused indirectly by Batman.
    • Has had some kind of idolization of Batman in the past.
    • Wants to make Gotham better.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Tynion really seems to be trying to expand the Joker "mythos."
    He’s said in the past that one thing he’s missed is the villains having people to play off of besides the hero. That’s why he brought Mercy back in Hell Arisen and created Punchline for Joker to replace Harley Quinn.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Hmm... makes sense

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I like the idea, I don't think this character will be as memorable as punchline though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He’s said in the past that one thing he’s missed is the villains having people to play off of besides the hero. That’s why he brought Mercy back in Hell Arisen and created Punchline for Joker to replace Harley Quinn.
    I see Tynion is in the same camp as Paul Dini in the "let's give a villain a female sidekick to bounce off of" camp.

Not a fan of Tynion but I agree with him that new characters are needed. The one thing that really sticks out to me with this design is the tie. I think the character would look better without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Not a fan of Tynion but I agree with him that new characters are needed. The one thing that really sticks out to me with this design is the tie. I think the character would look better without it.
    Now that you've brought it up, all I can think about is some reaching for it during a fight.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

I like the Do It Yourself angle for him. He reminds me of a more punk rock version of the We Are Robins crew. For some reason I keep thinking of Punchline being his archnemesis than the Joker. The killing angle is fine but a bit simplistic and I'm hoping he picks up/reveals a more interesting view of the world than "batman is lame because he doesn't kill"

Quote Originally Posted by Westbats View Post
    Now that you've brought it up, all I can think about is some reaching for it during a fight.
    And hanging him with it lol

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I like the Do It Yourself angle for him. He reminds me of a more punk rock version of the We Are Robins crew. For some reason I keep thinking of Punchline being his archnemesis than the Joker. The killing angle is fine but a bit simplistic and I'm hoping he picks up/reveals a more interesting view of the world than "batman is lame because he doesn't kill"
    I can see Punchline flat out killing Clownhunter to prove shes different then Harley