Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Think Frank has lost his place in today's Marvel universe, purely due to the concept of "The Punisher".

This of course is a slightly bias opinion having read Garth Ennis' Punisher Max run and consider same the quientessential Punisher.

Sure other writers have made him work in recent times (Rucka and to an extent Rosenberg) but when it boils down to it, don't think he fits in anymore.
    Rucka did well and Ennis is amazing but Rosenberg is really meh

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Well you had Wolverine/Punisher:Revelation which was ok but not a best-seller story in my opinion. So no, this team-up doesn't guarentee a great story.
    True

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Savage Avengers is a fun read. Punisher is in the first several issues then he moves on. I mean you have Conan, Wolverine and Punisher int he same story. How can that not be good?
    It sounds stupid and awesome at the same time. Really depending on the writer

OH MY GOD!!! MORE GORAN PARLOV ON A MAX TITLE SAVES MY DAY
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 06-03-2020 at 08:23 AM.

I'm still waiting for an animated series aimed at adults. Preferably all new material but it would be nice to adapt some of the Ennis story arcs.

Jim Lee made me a lifelong fan of Tropical-Shirt Punisher

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Think Frank has lost his place in today's Marvel universe, purely due to the concept of "The Punisher".

This of course is a slightly bias opinion having read Garth Ennis' Punisher Max run and consider same the quientessential Punisher.

Sure other writers have made him work in recent times (Rucka and to an extent Rosenberg) but when it boils down to it, don't think he fits in anymore.
    The question, especially now w/ the apparent increase of anti-Punisher sentiment due to some police having his skull logo tattooed on themselves, is what can Marvel do to make him work? Should Marvel even try to make him work?

Frank Castle, to me, is still one of the better, more multi-layered serialized characters in comics. But of course, since he's serialized, he's basically at the mercy of his writers. Some writers write him threatening to kill children. Other writers write him saving criminals from death. Other writers write him telling cops to stop looking up to him.

So, what can a writer, perhaps more in-tune w/ the social climate of today, do to make Punisher work? Even if in a very narrow niche?

...besides making him Cosmic Ghost Rider
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    The question, especially now w/ the apparent increase of anti-Punisher sentiment due to some police having his skull logo tattooed on themselves, is what can Marvel do to make him work? Should Marvel even try to make him work?

Frank Castle, to me, is still one of the better, more multi-layered serialized characters in comics. But of course, since he's serialized, he's basically at the mercy of his writers. Some writers write him threatening to kill children. Other writers write him saving criminals from death. Other writers write him telling cops to stop looking up to him.

So, what can a writer, perhaps more in-tune w/ the social climate of today, do to make Punisher work? Even if in a very narrow niche?

...besides making him Cosmic Ghost Rider
    I'd gladly write new Punisher stories. have Frank go after macro-level gangsters and (fictional) politicians with ties to murder, exploitation. team him up with folks like Cardiac and Shotgun. The "face" of street-level crime in the 1980s (crack era) became very black & brown and creating a severely imbalanced scenario to insert the "fed up with it all" white vigilante characters, post-Death Wish.

It would set the internet on fire and Marvel would never do it,(I mean, it would be socially irresponsible too) but the only relevant Punisher today is a black man who kills corrupt cops.

I think The Punisher still has a place in the marvel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It would set the internet on fire and Marvel would never do it,(I mean, it would be socially irresponsible too) but the only relevant Punisher today is a black man who kills corrupt cops.
    Marvel already has that character... Nighthawk. It wouldn't matter for me if Frank was black or white and I like how he has to tip toe around cops and be careful not to kill them. Unless they're bad

Maverick313

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Ahh, Punisher already kills corrupt cops.

Recently discovered, Travis Charest draws the Punisher

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-07-2020 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick313 View Post
    DUH. You know it would be different if it were a black man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Almost a dash of what a Tim Bradstreet on interiors would look like

^^^ OMG! ^^^

Thanks for the reminder.

Bradstreet's covers are legendarily classic:

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick313 View Post
    A black Punisher would ahve every black male in Marvel get shot by any scared cop even if they saw his face and knew his name.

And that would include the likes of Falcon and even Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Both are them are great, but that second one is epic!
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark