Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Poor work environment, huh. I have said before that DC does seem to be having serious talent troubles. The younger top guys they do have didn’t seem happy, with King’s run being cut short and Snyder wanting to leave mainstream superheroes altogether, while there is this over reliance on boring bottom charting old writers they seem more comfortable with.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-22-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Johns has no power over the direction of DC. He’s not the guy stopping John Stewart from getting an ongoing, you guys gotta stop making him the boogeyman. Johns is basically contained to Shazam and Three Jokers and that’s it.
    That's the problem I'm talking about. He STILL have some sort of relevance, regardless whether he has no power and only relegated to miscellaneous roles. With Dan DiDio gone (finally), excuse me if I feel a little nervous when Geoff Johns is still around to some capacity. But at least I can sleep more better after Dan DiDio has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If I was in charge I’d give John a GLC book to be the star of and I’d keep him on the JL. Jess I would have rotate with John because goddamn does the JL need more women members, and otherwise I’d make sure she shows up in the GL books as well. Hal is just let Morrison write for as long as he wants.
    I would actually be satisfied with this.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Why barry? Why not jay garrick or alan scott? Earth-2 is a thing. And the forefront business is a power hierarchy nonsense. Dc needs to start saying its dcm not dcu. Because they can't compete as a cohesive Universe with marvel both in comics and outside media.Even then if doctor strange and spiderman pulls on the thread. Dc will always be catching up.
    Because the other mediums steer the boat and not comic books. You can decry it, but it has been that way since the radio shows, cartoons, and/or movie serials from the '40s. Now if there were films and television shows starring Jay and Alan (or Wally, for that matter), then that would be different.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Poor work environment, huh. I have said before that DC does seem to be having serious trouble recruiting new talent. The younger top guys they do have didn’t seem happy, with King run being cut short and Snyder wanting to leave mainstream superhero’s altogether, and there is an over reliance on boring bottom charting old writers they just seem more comfortable with.
    Now that can be blamed on Didio. He was good about getting older creators jobs to pay the bills which I appreciate. But those should be noncanon side books like what Marvel gets Claremont, not freaking mainline books. Jurgens on Nightwing and Batman Beyond? Seriously? The books with younger characters should be where you recruit new talent.

DC has seriously failed hard at recruiting the next gen under Didio. Marvel has Donny Cates, Al Ewing, Eve Ewing, Chip Zdarsky, and a lot of promising new talent. DC has a lot of bland and mediocre writers with a few younger super stars like Snyder and King. Whoever takes over for Didio needs to do a better job at getting new talent. I have very little faith in Lee or Harras ability do better, Lee gave his old Wildstorm and Marvel buddies books during the New 52, and Harras has made sure that Lobdell always gets a book at DC as long as he’s there.

I saw someone bring this up on Twitter: What the **** was the point of those DC Writer Workshops when DC didn’t give anyone from those jobs? I mean Jesus, didn’t a lot of those guys end up at Marvel? Just an embarrassing failure at recruiting talent from DC.
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-22-2020 at 12:59 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Because the other mediums steer the boat and not comic books. You can decry it, but it has been that way since the radio shows, cartoons, and/or movie serials from the '40s. Now if there were films and television shows starring Jay and Alan (or Wally, for that matter), then that would be different.
    Not really, it's a cycle. It's not one sided. What goes around comes around.what sells will be sold. A simple priest character from for tomorrow made it into movies . As said, dc has better chances of selling itself as brand with multiverse. Otherwise, dc has never been about creating new characters, it just makes different versions. It has far lesser number of sheer characters than marvel.you love superman right? Here you go female superman or superdog or superboy.. Etc. This has always been their deal.They need to drop main earth nonsense. Just have banners with earth names.Have road maps for the multiverse.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-22-2020 at 01:09 PM.

I liked him, honestly. Hope he has a bright future wherever he goes next!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

BANNED

Didio at Marvel. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...popular_mobile

Wow!

Rob Liefeld is a f*cking *********!

pretty much the only negative responce in that whole thing
    But he's not wrong.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Poor work environment, huh. I have said before that DC does seem to be having serious talent troubles. The younger top guys they do have didn’t seem happy, with King’s run being cut short and Snyder wanting to leave mainstream superheroes altogether, while there is this over-reliance on boring bottom charting old writers they seem more comfortable with.
    Ah yes. I saw one of the Twitter responses... forget who, but he says that one of the best things about Dan was he's protecting old creatives when no other industry would... or something like that.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Already happened. What would that accomplish again at this point.
    To be vindictive, I guess.

I don't think that Barry needed to be resurrected at the time he was, at least not if we were going to be keeping the main continuity without a reboot. I think Hal's successful return caused them to overestimate how needed Barry was for the Flash franchise when we had Wally. Barry had a better send off and a better successor, and now Wally has been royally screwed over more and more since Barry returned. However, at this point, it's just pointless and kind of petty to hope for Barry's demise while we hope this is a turn around for Wally. And also naive if anyone thinks Barry's going anywhere with the success he's had in other media. Sure, maybe he borrowed some stuff from Wally, but none of that matters to the average joe watching his show.

Hal is a little less safe, but the GL mythos lends itself better to rotating focus. So he doesn't need to go anywhere permanently. But aside from Hal, the higher ups will probably prioritize John and especially Jess over the others and they wouldn't be wrong to do so.

Censorship Sucks

It is time for fresh blood at DC Comics. 5G was proof of that. A change is good.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The POC characters that aren't sharing mantles with anyone would show up rather easily.

We've already seen this, even in a poorly planned reboot. The New 52 set Superman back to the beginning of his career, and John Henry showed up in the first arc. Adherence to the proper debuting order clearly didn't mean much there. Same could be true for the likes of Vixen, Black Lightning, Vibe, Kimiyo Hoshi, Element Woman, Aztek, etc, who are in the same age group as the main JL and don't have to sit around and wait for legacy mantles to come their way.
    Wrong in Hoshi's case. She's the second Doctor Light.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The issue never was or never will be the characters. It's how Dan and the other creatives handled the whole situation of it. Dan could have instructed that Wally be given a prominent role(INSERT EVERY OTHER CHARACTER THAT FITS THE BILL HERE) in not only Barry's return but his on-going story. He Chose not to. Dan could have put his Ego aside when Rebirth looked like DC's saving grace, thanks to John's. But it wasn't his idea so he Chose not to. Dan could have let certain CREATIVES who have been causing trouble and telling terrible stories go. But he choose not to.

Thier Ego's, Poor Planing, and Poor Management is what led to Low Sales, Fan's Turning Their Backs On The Company, and To Dan's Over Due Walking Papers. The characters have nothing to do with it. If anything the CHARACTERS will be the only thing that could SAVE the comic division.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-22-2020 at 02:07 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wrong in Hoshi's case. She's the second Doctor Light.
    And it's always been weird to have a female hero take on the identity of a still active male villain.

You could give her a much needed name change, or have them debut around the same time: two Dr. Lights, one evil one good.