Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Jamal Campbell is INCREDIBLE.
    JH Williams III is also one of the best artists to ever grace the pages of DC's comics. Where's he lately, btw?

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    JH Williams III is also one of the best artists to ever grace the pages of DC's comics. Where's he lately, btw?
    I just visited his twitter feed, of which he's quite active, no mention of what he's been working on.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    From Batman #373 (July, 1984).
    Thanks!

Too many favorite artists to mention here, and I don't want to limit myself anyway to top 5 or 10 or whatever. But out of all the collaborators of Grant Morrison, I think these days I like the work of Frazer Irving the most.
    "The critics? No, I have nothing but compassion for them. How can I hate the crippled, the mentally deficient, and the dead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    He and Blackman have a series called Echolands coming out on Image. Williams is drawing #6 now. The first issue has yet to be solicited.

I also have way too many favorites!

Jack Kirby
    C. C. Beck
    Kurt Schaffenberger
    Curt Swan
    John Byrne
    Murphy Anderson
    Jerry Ordway
    Sean Murphy
    Jerry Robinson
    Dick Sprang
    Carmine Infantino
    Jim Davis (Fox and Crow)
    Sheldon Mayer
    Mikel Janín

Yes, I've read a lot of comics.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

To me DC doesn't have an answer to Kirby , (who I consider to be the definitive Marvel artist).

To me DC is broken down into eras.

Curt Swan, Neal Adam's George Perez, Alex Ross and Frank Millar make the short list though. Any artist who's style defined a particular era in comics, is on the list.

BANNED

Neal Adams.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    To me DC doesn't have an answer to Kirby , (who I consider to be the definitive Marvel artist).

To me DC is broken down into eras.

Curt Swan, Neal Adam's George Perez, Alex Ross and Frank Millar make the short list though. Any artist who's style defined a particular era in comics, is on the list.
    DC was a much bigger publisher than people tend to acknowledge in threads like this one: war comics, romance comics, horror and mystery, Western, Vertigo, modern WildStorm, etc. So, naturally, there were many influential and amazing artists who worked for them, without leaving any influence or trace on the properties like Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. For example, Bernie Wrightson. Mike Mignola. His style is hugely influential in the whole medium of the comics, but not so much within the confines of the mainstream DC universe.

So, Curt Swan, sure. Neal Adams, absolutely. Others mentioned, I am not exactly convinced. I mean, they WERE influential, but I think some other artists were even more. I like Perez' work, but I'd never consider him more influential on the DC properties than Jose Luis Garcia Lopez. Or John Byrne, for that matter. The end of the 80s and the first half of the 90s is in the shadow of John Byrne, not Frank Miller. Yes, I am speaking about DC, and despite the fact I don't like his later DC work (Wonder Woman, The New Gods) at all. But his work on Superman cannot be overestimated, visually.

Alex Ross is extremely popular among fans (and his colleagues) but I can't see that many artists follow his approach.

Jim Lee's work (with Scott Williams), on the other hand, is what inspired many. Of course, that work couldn't be possible without Barry Windsor-Smith and Arthur Adams (both of whom I consider to be greater artists) - look at the style of cross-hatching in their works.

Anyway, this topic is about favorites, not the most influential people, so everything is permitted. Just my 2 cents...
    Last edited by Paradox_Nihil; 03-28-2020 at 02:07 AM.
    "The critics? No, I have nothing but compassion for them. How can I hate the crippled, the mentally deficient, and the dead?"

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox_Nihil View Post
    DC was a much bigger publisher than people tend to acknowledge in threads like this one: war comics, romance comics, horror and mystery, Western, Vertigo, modern WildStorm, etc.
    Hear, hear!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

One of the great DC romance artists, Ric Estrada:

Secret Hearts #140 (December, 1969):

Young Romance #165 (April, 1970):

Young Romance #200 (July, 1974):

Last edited by Electricmastro; 03-29-2020 at 10:43 PM.