Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Did you happen to notice the paper stock? Matte or glossy?

My copy is in the mail as well...
    Flicked through a copy in my LCS. It's matte

Incredible Member

Was at my LCS and checked out the Batman Legacy tpb but flipping through it I noticed how some parts of it look to be scanned images so I just put it back, oh yeah and seriously what a boring bland cover they went with, why make the image in red??

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    Was at my LCS and checked out the Batman Legacy tpb but flipping through it I noticed how some parts of it look to be scanned images so I just put it back, oh yeah and seriously what a boring bland cover they went with, why make the image in red??

Sigh...DC just can't get their shit together when reprinting trades from that time period, which is a shame. There's a rumor (maybe confirmed by now? not sure) that DC can't find a bunch of the original artwork for certain volumes of that area (Shadow of the Bat, Azrael, etc), so they just scan copies of the images when they do trades to fill it in. Some scans, I've noticed, are good, others look slightly choppy. The first volume of Azrael you could really tell on some pages, others not so much. It didn't hinder my reading experience that much, I still enjoyed it, but it would have been better with smoother artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmreyn View Post
    Sigh...DC just can't get their shit together when reprinting trades from that time period, which is a shame. There's a rumor (maybe confirmed by now? not sure) that DC can't find a bunch of the original artwork for certain volumes of that area (Shadow of the Bat, Azrael, etc), so they just scan copies of the images when they do trades to fill it in. Some scans, I've noticed, are good, others look slightly choppy. The first volume of Azrael you could really tell on some pages, others not so much. It didn't hinder my reading experience that much, I still enjoyed it, but it would have been better with smoother artwork.
    They lost the artwork?? Iirc, Batman in that era was some of its best. I can't believe that happened

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    They lost the artwork?? Iirc, Batman in that era was some of its best. I can't believe that happened
    I can't understand how this happens. I would assume that someone would be on retainer to keep up to date prints until the digital age. It seems so obvious.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

All-New Member

I would rather have the scans than nothing at all....

So please, lets see the rerelease of the rest of Azrael.

Incredible Member

Around '95 or '96 I believe DC had started switching their paper stock from matte to slick glossy paper, it's the latter that looks worse when scanned.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Royale View Post
    So please, lets see the rerelease of the rest of Azrael.
    That has to be the most embarassing collection I ever bought. I highly regret paying money for this shit and would never order another. And it's not like there aren't other options: I can wait for a sale on Comixology, because it's cheaper and IIRC those versions somehow don't look like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    I can't understand how this happens. I would assume that someone would be on retainer to keep up to date prints until the digital age. It seems so obvious.
    DC Has some serious problems it would seem. I'd like to say they're doing their best but...I dont think that's the case

I want Batman collections that fill the gap between Knightfall and Contagion. I know about the Moench/Kelley HC, and I own it, but that doesn't cover much (and also only includes issues they both worked on; if one took a month off, it's not in this book). A lot of things happened with Batman's new status quo, and it's a shame it hasn't been released.

I would also like to see the cancelled Superman: Man of Tomorrow book resolicited as a tpb and to continue forward up to the Death of Superman. Then I want them to continue the series picking up where Return of Superman left off, collecting the rest of the triangle era. This was an immensely popular time for Superman (especially compared to the decade that would follow), so it's surprising that more hasn't been collected from it. Ihave the Death of Clark Kent, Trial of Superman, the Wedding, and "Superman Transformed" in their original trade releases, but the quality of them is extremely cheap and they have no context to them.

Maybe I should just custom bind what I want from DC lol
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I want Batman collections that fill the gap between Knightfall and Contagion. I know about the Moench/Kelley HC, and I own it, but that doesn't cover much (and also only includes issues they both worked on; if one took a month off, it's not in this book). A lot of things happened with Batman's new status quo, and it's a shame it hasn't been released.
    Same here, my own hope is that once Legacy vol 2 comes out DC will go back and release collections between Knightfall starting with Troika (which was missing from the modern TPB's) and go all the way up to Contagion

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post

I know that a lot of the Image creators have lost artwork from the 90s era and it was due to the digital files types that were used for inks or colours back then becoming corrupted over time.
    Maybe its a similar issue at DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I know that a lot of the Image creators have lost artwork from the 90s era and it was due to the digital files types that were used for inks or colours back then becoming corrupted over time.
    Maybe its a similar issue at DC?
    Marvel also uses scans for 90s material, so that might be why. I'd always assumed they had lost or accidentally destroyed the original art files, but if other publishers and creators of the time have also lost access to the originals, then chances are it's a common problem like file type corruption.

Fantastic Member

But do the collections of 90s material from other companies look like blurry crap?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wisdom View Post
    But do the collections of 90s material from other companies look like blurry crap?
    At least a few of the pages in the Age of Apocalypse Omnibus are shockingly bad. A lot of the rest, while readable and not overly distracting, are very obviously scans.