Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Can "Wonder Woman" Make Its Mark in a Crowded Superhero Movie Landscape?

While fandom is in a tizzy over Marvel's "Captain Marvel" movie, fans are oddly quiet regarding Warner Bros. "Wonder Woman" -- but will it succeed?

Full article here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    While fandom is in a tizzy over Marvel's "Captain Marvel" movie, fans are oddly quiet regarding Warner Bros. "Wonder Woman" -- but will it succeed?

Full article here.
    Ironically funny since the fans never shut up about wanting a WW movie before it was made official. Make up your minds people!!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post

Full article here.
    Fandom is in a tizzy? You mean how Disney got a few "journalists" to write a one page story promoting the new Captain Marvel movie?
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284

There was no clamor for a Captain Marvel film. Rather, there was clamor for "any solo female Marvel CBM."

OTOH, as Legato says, a Wonder Woman film has been requested for years.

... Not sure what the alleged backlash is about. Gal Gadot was already announced as Wonder Woman long ago. It should go without saying that she would eventually be set up for a solo film. So the impact was somewhat muted-- if they announced Gal as Diana plus the solo movie months ago, then that would have set the tone of enthusiasm.

historically, in the general public psyche-- WW doesn't have an iconic villain. (certain) cartoon fans and (some) comics fans know about Cheetah, Ares, Circe, Giganta, Dr. Psycho, etc., Jane Soccer Mom does not. Similarly, the depths of her traditional origins are not known to the general public like Batman, Superman or Spider-Man.

To my knowledge, they have yet to announce the head producer, writer and director yet. When that happens, then there will be a better gauge on fan reaction.

It would be curious if Joss Whedon's treatment ends up being used.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    There was no clamor for a Captain Marvel film. Rather, there was clamor for "any solo female Marvel CBM."

4sho. That was something people have always wanted from the MCU. Doesn't really matter who.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post

Actually, there were quite a few people clamoring for a Captain Marvel film. Feige said on more than one occasion that the two movies he got asked about the most, even more than Avengers movies, were the possible Black Panther and Captain Marvel movies. There did seem to be quite a groundswell of support for a Captain Marvel film. I know I'm much more excited about a Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) film than I am a Wonder Woman film, especially with the darker approach the DC movies seem to be taking. And I have a hunch modern audiences might connect more with Captain Marvel (Air Force officer gaining superpowers) than Wonder Woman (daughter of Zeus).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Steele View Post
    Actually, there were quite a few people clamoring for a Captain Marvel film. Feige said on more than one occasion that the two movies he got asked about the most, even more than Avengers movies, were the possible Black Panther and Captain Marvel movies. There did seem to be quite a groundswell of support for a Captain Marvel film. I know I'm much more excited about a Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) film than I am a Wonder Woman film, especially with the darker approach the DC movies seem to be taking. And I have a hunch modern audiences might connect more with Captain Marvel (Air Force officer gaining superpowers) than Wonder Woman (daughter of Zeus).
    Which is a bit hypocritical don't you think? WW has been the redheaded stepchild of DC/WB and when it finally gets a movie people turn up their noses at it and shoos it away.

EDIT: I'm also going to call double standard on the latter comment. If people can accept a Thor film then they sure as hell can accept a WW film
    Last edited by Legato; 11-06-2014 at 03:40 PM.

What always interests me is that the SJW/tumblr crowd who love Marvel movies have been complacent in what has been, the most regressive franchise of the century. DC already won the diversity race so they should switch sides, but Marvel's hiring of Cumberbatch has assured this group of people will continue to support Marvel above DC.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Fantastic Member

Yeah, a year ago I never would have expected that people would be more excited about a Captain Marvel film than a Wonder Woman film, but now, after seeing Thor 2 do well, Cap 2 do very well and Guardians do incredibly well, Marvel feel like they're on a roll and the audience is just responding to that. Warner Brothers are only one film in to their shared-universe superhero franchise, that film had a very mixed reception, and in general confidence in the Warner/DC brand is much more subdued. That's a large part of the reason. People also expect to be entertained when they see a Marvel film, Man of Steel was not the kind of movie you take your kids or your parents to see, it had more in common tonally and stylistically with a hard sci-fi film than a popcorn blockbuster. People now legitimately have confidence in nearly every Marvel film to be at least decent even if they've never heard of the IP it's based on. Warner have to earn that confidence, and as their characters are generally better known, they also have to meet higher expectations. No wonder enthusiasm is rather muted.

I'm totally going to see both of them though, you just try and stop me.
    Last edited by confusiongrows; 11-06-2014 at 03:52 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    Yeah, a year ago I never would have expected that people would be more excited about a Captain Marvel film than a Wonder Woman film, but now, after seeing Thor 2 do well, Cap 2 do very well and Guardians do incredibly well, Marvel feel like they're on a roll and the audience is just responding to that. Warner Brothers are only one film in to their shared-universe superhero franchise, that film had a very mixed reception, and in general confidence in the Warner/DC brand is much more subdued. That's a large part of the reason. People also expect to be entertained when they see a Marvel film, Man of Steel was not the kind of movie you take your kids or your parents to see, it had more in common tonally and stylistically with a hard sci-fi film than a popcorn blockbuster. People now legitimately have confidence in nearly every Marvel film to be at least decent even if they've never heard of the IP it's based on. Warner have to earn that confidence, and as their characters are generally better known, they also have to meet higher expectations. No wonder enthusiasm is rather muted.
    This just confirms that if we don't see DC heroines being pushed in films then the fans are more to blame than the studio. Especially if they have this kind of attitude you pointed out

All-New Member

The reason I'm not particularly excited for it is that it's the DC Cinematic Universe, the same people who made Green Lantern. I hope it is awesome, but do I expect it to be? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomstick View Post
    The reason I'm not particularly excited for it is that it's the DC Cinematic Universe, the same people who made Green Lantern. I hope it is awesome, but do I expect it to be? Nope.
    I don't think you know what you are talking about.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    This just confirms that if we don't see DC heroines being pushed in films then the fans are more to blame than the studio. Especially if they have this kind of attitude you pointed out
    The fans aren't to blame for the failings of the filmmakers. I've never liked this argument. Wonder Woman hasn't been pushed for a movie before for one reason only ; Warner Brothers didn't try to push her. The project has been in development hell for years. You can't put any of that on the audience!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    The fans aren't to blame for the failings of the filmmakers. I've never liked this argument. Wonder Woman hasn't been pushed for a movie before for one reason only ; Warner Brothers didn't try to push her. The project has been in development hell for years. You can't put any of that on the audience!
    Say they did push the movie and the movie still bombed. Then yes the audience are to blame because they too play a part in a films success and failure.