27 46.55%
  • Yes, but I guess they look ok already

15 25.86%
  • I don't care either way.

8 13.79%
  • No, I love their current looks

8 13.79%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb X-men #1: would you have wanted new costume designs?

The new X-men team is finally announced, but contrary to expectations, most of the members are still using their previous costumes.
    Polaris and Sunfire are the only characters who seem to have new designs.

- Jean Grey keeps her 70s look.
    - Cyclops keeps the HoX PoX recolor.
    - Synch and Laura keep their Vault redesigns (but now both seem to wear the exact same colors.
    - Rogue keeps her 90s look.

Redesigns used to be pretty common in big new launches, but only a few books in the new era have redesigned their entire cast (i.e. X-factor and SWORD).
    Now there's a pretty high profile launch and Marvel didn't seem to pay much attention to the team's aesthetic.

So the question is: Would you have wanted new designs to go with the new #1?

And where is Dauterman when we need him?

Extraordinary Member

I was going to say no, because I did not expect them. Then I read your reasoning, and I started to agree. But then I remembered they have not come up with any good new costumes since the 90s anyway, so I went back to no.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Krakoa era means the creative teams can use whatever costumes they want so it doesn't bother me.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    But then I remembered they have not come up with any good new costumes since the 90s anyway, so I went back to no.
    I beg your pardon.

Last edited by Hi-Fi; 04-16-2021 at 11:40 AM.

The only costume that's horrible is Jean's miniskirt. Shiro's costume isn't really visible under all that fire but the mask looks different; I'll wait and see how it looks once he flames off.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Personally I like that in X-Men each character has their own suit with their own personality, not that they all go the same.

I think only 4Fs cope well with sharing uniforms and because their powers guarantee that they are visually varied anyway.

Jean should have kept her gala look. Ditto on Scott

Rogue should have gone back to her new Excalibur look

Lorna and Sunfire's new one is fine

Synch and Laura's are both new so Im glad they get to actually use them

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I quite like all of the costumes, not loving Jean sporting a look from the 60s but Pepe makes even that look good.

Lorna looks good if a bit impractical?

And I always found Laura wearing Wolverine's mask kinda ugly.

I voted yes. I think it really exemplifies a new era when you see characters in new costumes. There is less 'oomph' when they just return to old one's.

I think the only one who I don't mind switching costumes is Cyclops since it's new enough. Thankfully Lorna and Shiro got new one's.

Jean, Rogue, Laura and Synch are all in dire need of new uniforms. There is too much green and yellow here, let some characters branch off into new colors and combinations.

Jean should’ve either donned the Gala look or sported a more fitting costume like the Giant Size yellow/green version of her XMR costume, even a costume like her third blue and yellow short lived X-Factor costume would’ve been cool to see. Would’ve loved Rogue to have sported her Messiah Complex costume, always loved that one on her. Love Lorna’s new costume.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I beg your pardon.
    Touche. But even that first Rogue one seems based on her original costume.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I voted yes. I think it really exemplifies a new era when you see characters in new costumes. There is less 'oomph' when they just return to old one's.

I think the only one who I don't mind switching costumes is Cyclops since it's new enough. Thankfully Lorna and Shiro got new one's.

Jean, Rogue, Laura and Synch are all in dire need of new uniforms. There is too much green and yellow here, let some characters branch off into new colors and combinations.
    I agree 100%.

Cyclops is the only one I actually like.
    Jean is the biggest offender. At this point I think editorial keeps the dress only because it generates controversy.
    Laura and Synch's costumes aren't terrible, but they're incredibly generic and I hate how they have the same color scheme. As if there wasn't enough yellow in that group pic already.
    Rogue has had much better looks after the overused 90s one. I'm a much bigger fan of the one she wore in Carey's X-men and its variations (which would look good alongside Cyke's look).
    Lorna's new look is ok, but her X-factor costume looked a bit better (even if I don't get why a flyer would wear a skirt/dress mid-battle.)
    I can't comment on Sunfire, because we can barely see him.

This was a great update to her 90s look. Should be in this

Don't care either way. It doesn't really affect the story one away or another unless it's mission specific anyway. But i do think new costumes will come after the first arc.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Not fond of Laura in yellow. Something like the black and gray body armor from the second half of ANW would...um...fit/suit her better.