Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    So yeah, recently won a slot for free sketch commissions and it finally came in.

Kyoko Hino by AchanDraws.

Great artwork, only the she looks like she isn't wearing any kind of bra. No woman would intentionally fight without proper support.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Reading Koukou Tekken-Den (on Nik's advice). There's a lot of good to it - sure, some magical martial arts stuff, but it also has (for example) solid judo (and well-drawn to boot!). And when a non-judoka is trying to do an armlock on a judoka, it's pretty easy to spot his mistake by the art (still don't know if that's because HE doesn't realize it's a mistake, or the artist doesn't realize it's a mistake, but the lock doesn't work and it's easy to see why).

So, good stuff so far.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Double-fisted weirdness attack, I can let pass because it's a weirdness magical attack, but there's a choke that's just horribly drawn (and not done as it's demonstrated). Forgivable, mind.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-19-2021 at 09:43 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Pretty fast tests. Good stuff. VERY glad to hear.

And...yeah, people have given up. Not just in the US; Canada's numbers are horrid right now, and people basically don't give a crap any more. Similarly the politicians. *I'm* freaking paranoid - not just for myself, but for others, because heck, I could be carrying it somehow - and my wife and I stare in horror at the people around us who are just doing whatever, sometimes without even having masks on.

Ugh.

In the future, any zombie movie that doesn't show hordes of people running toward the zombies screaming 'it's not real!' and most of the rest of humanity just shrugging and saying 'eh, probably won't happen to me' should be viewed as extremely unrealistic.

Conversely, I will never again shake my head at a disaster movie that shows the government reacting poorly to the disaster due to a combination of incompetence and greed.
    Yeah, it was in an emergency center so they were doing immediate test results with a fee. Thankfully my folks got good coverage.

And ugh, this is basically the reality of things now. Just when you think people aren't that dumb like the movies depicted...

Yeah, it was in an emergency center so they were doing immediate test results with a fee. Thankfully my folks got good coverage.
    Awesome. Though I'm really sad that you need to worry about coverage. O_o America and its health system...

And ugh, this is basically the reality of things now. Just when you think people aren't that dumb like the movies depicted...
    Sadly, yeah.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Great artwork, only the she looks like she isn't wearing any kind of bra. No woman would intentionally fight without proper support.
    Right, kinda my mistake as I should had been clear with the references I used. That and be part of that group of writers who follow rule of ridiculous at times.

Like Kyoko's father, Yuu, at the age of 14 went from average kid with mediocre skill in kendo to a karate using one man army who destroyed a sword school in a rage after nearly two months of training in the woods by a near crazy hermit.

But yeah, when I say karate...I don't really see as all sorts of random flips and all and call it karate like most 80s/90s flicks.

Kinda more like that.

Awesome. Though I'm really sad that you need to worry about coverage. O_o America and its health system...
    Yeah, my Dad is in his 70s and found a competent insurance. My Mom and I got our benefits from our jobs.

....Lucky as hell to be honest.

Right, kinda my mistake as I should had been clear with the references I used. That and be part of that group of writers who follow rule of ridiculous at times.

Like Kyoko's father, Yuu, at the age of 14 went from average kid with mediocre skill in kendo to a karate using one man army who destroyed a sword school in a rage after nearly two months of training in the woods by a near crazy hermit.

But yeah, when I say karate...I don't really see as all sorts of random flips and all and call it karate like most 80s/90s flicks.

Kinda more like that.
    Despite it being heavily stylized (which isn't to my taste), I will say that I did rather like parts of that.

...which, honestly, is more than I can say for most Hollywood fights. ^_^ Fun to watch.
    Why are we here?

Yeah, my Dad is in his 70s and found a competent insurance. My Mom and I got our benefits from our jobs.

....Lucky as hell to be honest.
    I'm VERY glad to hear.
    Why are we here?

I'm VERY glad to hear.
    Indeed....It was hard to imagine it's just recently I got my health benefits.

Indeed....It was hard to imagine it's just recently I got my health benefits.
    I've been a year without health benefits. Finally manged to get something after nearly three months of applying then waiting then applying then waiting. Mine will start February 1st. The system is on the right track, but it still needs a heck of a lot of work.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I've been a year without health benefits. Finally manged to get something after nearly three months of applying then waiting then applying then waiting. Mine will start February 1st. The system is on the right track, but it still needs a heck of a lot of work.
    Right. All things considered, do be safe. All of ya.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Reading Koukou Tekken-Den (on Nik's advice). There's a lot of good to it - sure, some magical martial arts stuff, but it also has (for example) solid judo (and well-drawn to boot!). And when a non-judoka is trying to do an armlock on a judoka, it's pretty easy to spot his mistake by the art (still don't know if that's because HE doesn't realize it's a mistake, or the artist doesn't realize it's a mistake, but the lock doesn't work and it's easy to see why).

So, good stuff so far.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Double-fisted weirdness attack, I can let pass because it's a weirdness magical attack, but there's a choke that's just horribly drawn (and not done as it's demonstrated). Forgivable, mind.
    If it helps, the two fisted Buddha punch thing pretty much disappears from the narrative shortly after its introduction. As the series progresses, it slowly moves away from secret technique stuff and gets more into solid fundamentals.

There is an /extremely/ silly lock technique in, I think, three or four arcs from where you are but series seems to be tending more towards... well, not realism per say, more grounded fighting stuff.

To some extent hehe. Still a fair amount of silly stuff in there but that's part of the charm.

Pro wrestlers are a special exemption. They get booked VERY strong.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 01-19-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Also the UK has the worst covid numbers in the world at the moment.

1,560 people dead yesterday and at cases wise were at 1 in 620ish. Utterly unconscionable handling by the government.

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Health benefits? Is that something you can eat?

I jest (poorly), but I'm also of the current mindset to- given the choice between going to the hospital and dying- pick the option with fewer steps and expenses.
    This signature intentionally left blank.