Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    And what are Jean's history and roots. people seem to be dancing around the material.

White people have been race bending for years now there is a problem. Personally i find it entertaining especially since disney is going to do what they want any.

And to answer your question yes i would, some people need to be told their history isn't as important like the confederate traitors for instance.
    It's been ascertained that White people have been race bending for years...and there's a huge industry outcry against it. Why is it now palatable and acceptable for us to, in essence, "do it to them"? The moral issue/dilemma hasn't changed, just the perpetrators.

That notion, pushed to the extreme...would it be acceptable for Black people to buy and own White people as slaves?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

It's very likely they will. The MCU is a shared universe and they went in strong with the white characters at the beginning and there was just a capital storming. Now just looking at it from a purely economic standpoint it doesn't make a lot of sense to add another white red head to your cast when you have scarlet witch with her own show and a secure place in the movies and a black widow movie upcoming, you just open yourself up for stuff. Most likely part of the reason they are playing with phoenix now so they can figure out how to introduce it into the mcu sans jean.
    yh wasnt the statistic like 90%+ of the mcu is white and there are more aliens than poc as main cast?? it's crazy. Quite literally appealing to white audiences and disregarding minorities for 10 years straight.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    jean is a white woman with red hair. you shouldn't change it simply because there were other white women with red hair. There is literally nothing about bishop that says he needs to be black. or jubilee needing to be asian. storm and black panther have african roots, so they need to be black, but other than that, there are very few characters that need to be their race. the fact remains that these characters have been depicted this way on screen for over 30 years. changing it for the sake of it is just dumb
    But again this is the precedent that white people set up. It was okay for them to racebend anything and everything and eventually everything was white and now they don't seem to be able to sit back and deal with the same stuff everybody else had to. i mean they'll get over it.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyworthnoting View Post
    Because being white is not essential to the character at all, So the skin color of the actor wouldn't really matter.
    it is essential. she's a white character. how is being black essential to bishop? how is being asian essential to jubilee?

BANNED

jean is a white woman with red hair. you shouldn't change it simply because there were other white women with red hair. There is literally nothing about bishop that says he needs to be black. or jubilee needing to be asian. storm and black panther have african roots, so they need to be black, but other than that, there are very few characters that need to be their race. the fact remains that these characters have been depicted this way on screen for over 30 years. changing it for the sake of it is just dumb
    Again, jean is a woman, with white skin and red hair. Her skin is really not demonstrated to be important to the character at all, so this is really just you trying to keep the character white for some unseuspected reason.

Because being white is not essential to the character at all, So the skin color of the actor wouldn't really matter.
    People can be POC and still be redhead. Malcolm x was black and redhead

But again this is the precedent that white people set up. It was okay for them to racebend anything and everything and eventually everything was white and now they don't seem to be able to sit back and deal with the same stuff everybody else had to. i mean they'll get over it.
    look, i'm not on board with racebending of any kind. i also want my comic book characters to be as close to the books as possible. and again, it's not like this is the first time these characters have ever been on screen. they've always been portrayed as white. jean has been in movies for 20 years. to race bend now just seems dumb

Again, jean is a woman, with white skin and red hair. Her skin is really not demonstrated to be important to the character at all, so this is really just you trying to keep the character white for some unseuspected reason.
    why does bishop need to be black. and....go..

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

oh, here we go. So you regocnise that by design black characters were kept out of comics, but your answer is "deal with it"??? lmao
    That would imply Lee and Kirby were anti-black but the answer is 'no'. Keep making stuff up.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's been ascertained that White people have been race bending for years...and there's a huge industry outcry against it. Why is it now palatable and acceptable for us to, in essence, "do it to them"? The moral issue/dilemma hasn't changed, just the perpetrators.

That notion, pushed to the extreme...would it be acceptable for Black people to buy and own White people as slaves?
    When they are climbing over capital walls in 2021 and blaming a system they created for their own erasure while still pretending not to see what's in front of them. i can't get too excited about losing some representation to people who have been asking for any crumbs for years with people not doing the right thing. If you think all else is equal on the situation you don't really have anything else to respond to me about because now your falling into what you claim you don't like, hypothetical theories.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

I feel like a lot of assumptions are being made about other users. I know this is a delicate topic in many ways, but the discussion feels like it's starting to go nowhere.

That being said, I feel like no matter what happens, the only guarantee is that some will always be upset with whatever choice is made.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

BANNED

it is essential. she's a white character. how is being black essential to bishop? how is being asian essential to jubilee?
    Again, with the deflection. You Couldn't answer nor accept my comment so you pivot to whataboutisms. Being black can be essential in 2 ways, either to the character(like being black is essential to storm and black panther) or how being black is essential to the reader/viewer. For decades they only created white charactersand avoided black characters and to this day they really only created very few, and work on even lesser than those few(not accidentally) so to purposefully change one of the only black male's is literally just like, giving a child a sweet, slap the child and take the sweet away.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

The X-franchise has the most diverse cast in comics. No need to race-bend anyone when you have a plethora of amazing characters, colours and backgrounds to choose from.

Again, with the deflection. You Couldn't answer nor accept my comment so you pivot to whataboutisms. Being black can be essential in 2 ways, either to the character(like being black is essential to storm and black panther) or how being black is essential to the reader/viewer. For decades they only created white charactersand avoided black characters and to this day they really only created very few, and work on even lesser than those few(not accidentally) so to purposefully change one of the only black male's is literally just like, giving a child a sweet, slap the child and take the sweet away.
    And my biggest gripe is the wall around the system that people act like they don't see. They say go create new characters because they know no one is going to do it and no one is going to do it because mostly everybody else in the room is white too. I find it hard to believe in 75 year history marvel could only find a handful of black writers and artists. And why are they always put on the same already black franchises if we trying to diversify. They really need to stop trying to catch people in that catch 22 everybody sees.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    People can be POC and still be redhead. Malcolm x was black and redhead
    That's literally what I said. previously in this thread a dude said, that starfire HAD to be white skinned with red hair. I imagine he thinks it simply would be "better". Quite clearly he only thinks of redheads as white. My mod has slightly red hair and as soon as her hair is exposed to the sun you can see it from the other side of the planet.