Page 40 of 183 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

In a couple of ways, TNG is a mirror image of TOS. Instead of progressively getting worse like the latter, the former got better and better. IMO, both shows highs exceed the other Star Trek shows, as do their lows (DSN was the most consistently good of the entire franchise).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    In a couple of ways, TNG is a mirror image of TOS. Instead of progressively getting worse like the latter, the former got better and better. IMO, both shows highs exceed the other Star Trek shows, as do their lows (DSN was the most consistently good of the entire franchise).
    TOS to me was stable. started well, ended well. TNG got immensely better some of the highest of all highlights of TNG- Cause and Effect, All good things, Lower Decks to name the few all came later on.

TNG is by none, the most intellectual science fiction series to ever grace the small screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    TNG season 1 was not the best. Star Trek tends to have a lot of build up. The reason I have always been scared of shows with a masterpeice first season, shows like Heroes. They have no were to go but down in the next season. TNG Season 2 got better, perhaps arguably having the best star trek episode of all time with the measure of a man. The highlight of season 1 to me was Datalore. Could be bias talking, Data was my favourite character in TNG.
    I actually stopped watching TNG halfway through Season 1, because I found it so annoying. The introduction of Moriarty during the following season, however, brought me back for good. Everything seemed much improved in Season 2 - the scripts, characterizations, cinematography, ... all that was needed was the better acting from Frakes (not to mention the beard) and also the cooler uniforms that were evident by Season 3.

I actually stopped watching TNG halfway through Season 1, because I found it so annoying. The introduction of Moriarty during the following season, however, was brought me back for good. Everything seemed much improved in Season 2 - the scripts, characterizations, cinematography, ... all that was needed was the better acting from Frakes (not to mention the beard) and also the cooler uniforms that was evident by Season 3.
    I suppose there is a reason why the trope is called Growing the beard.

I actually stopped watching TNG halfway through Season 1, because I found it so annoying. The introduction of Moriarty during the following season, however, was brought me back for good. Everything seemed much improved in Season 2 - the scripts, characterizations, cinematography, ... all that was needed was the better acting from Frakes (not to mention the beard) and also the cooler uniforms that was evident by Season 3.
    I agree, Elementary, Dear Data was one of the highlights of Season 2, the screenplay was original for a sherlock holmes based episode. What I always found weird with season 2 is how much hate Katherine Pulaski got. I found her a unique addition to the team and cast, she always brought another interesting intellectual depth to most of their discussion. Elementary data was a good example. Never got the hate for her.

As for elementary data, this is one of the very first time we see just how dangerous A.I could be when they begin to fully think for themselves. I love how it ends with more of a resolution that was somewhat peaceful. As a Data fan, again another highlight. it is also what is irritating me about star trek discovery and their explosions and flashy stuff. Discovery is barely star trek when I think of TNG,

I agree, Elementary, Dear Data was one of the highlights of Season 2, the screenplay was original for a sherlock holmes based episode. What I always found weird with season 2 is how much hate Katherine Pulaski got. I found her a unique addition to the team and cast, she always brought another interesting intellectual depth to most of their discussion. Elementary data was a good example. Never got the hate for her.
    Same here. I preferred her to pre-Season 2 Crusher myself, though I like Bev more than Pulaski post-Season 2.

As for elementary data, this is one of the very first time we see just how dangerous A.I could be when they begin to fully think for themselves. I love how it ends with more of a resolution that was somewhat peaceful. As a Data fan, again another highlight. it is also what is irritating me about star trek discovery and their explosions and flashy stuff. Discovery is barely star trek when I think of TNG,
    Data was the only one I liked right from the start, while the others had problems initially (except for Worf and, yes, even Wesley).

I think part of the criticism of Pulaski is that she was seen as a sort of female McCoy-her fear of transporters, her relationship with Data etc. I'm not sure, but this might've been a bit of a side effect of season 2's opener being a recycled phase II script (The second TV series with the original cast which became the first movie, although many of it's ideas, sets and some scripts were worked into TNG) due to the writer's strike at the time.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Same here. I preferred her to pre-Season 2 Crusher myself, though I like Bev more than Pulaski post-Season 2.

Data was the only one I liked right from the start, while the others had problems initially (except for Worf and, yes, even Wesley).

Wesley is a Saint compared to Michael Burnham.To say Burnham is a Mary sue, will be to give Wesley no more bashing. My favourite from TNG was Data, Picard and Riker.

Extraordinary Member

TOS to me was stable. started well, ended well.
    I agree. There are great episodes in all three seasons. Sure there are also some clunkers in all three, but more good than bad for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I agree. There are great episodes in all three seasons. Sure there are also some clunkers in all three, but more good than bad for sure.
    There were indeed fine episodes, but the production values weren't as good (including Shatner's toupee, which looked ratty - Season 1's was by far the best). The worst episodes came from this season, too. That season... was also... the one... where... Kirk... pauses... way, way... too much!

Incredible Member

most of the star trek series got better as the seasons progressed ... tng , voyager , ds9 especially the introduction of the dominion in season 2 onwards , enterprise with season 3 and 4 etc.

Extraordinary Member

I find season 1 TNG and most of Voyager to be so bad as to be unwatchable. Enterprise was the only series I watched when it came out and I liked it then, but it's a pain to rewatch as an adult. I find TOS to be much more watchable when it is bad simply because the chemistry between Kirk, Spock, and Mccoy is always enjoyable even when the rest of the episode is terrible. Seasons 3-6 of TNG are truly amazing television. DS9 is an amazing show from start to finish with relatively few clunkers, though the ones that are clunkers really stand out in their terribleness.

Season 3's best for me were the Tholian Web and Enterprise Incident. Curiously I think it's also the season with the most actors that were also in Batman: Yvonne Craig, Frank Gorshin and Lee Meriweather.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think part of the criticism of Pulaski is that she was seen as a sort of female McCoy-her fear of transporters, her relationship with Data etc. I'm not sure, but this might've been a bit of a side effect of season 2's opener being a recycled phase II script (The second TV series with the original cast which became the first movie, although many of it's ideas, sets and some scripts were worked into TNG) due to the writer's strike at the time.
    Yes Pulaski was a Female McCoy, but I thought she was a good addition.

There were two problems I had with TNG.

1. Things were too perfect. I don't recall Picard making any major mistakes. There was barely any character disagreement. It was too much of a lollipop atmosphere. This is one of the reasons I prefer DS9 light years over any of the Star Trek Series. At least Pulaski added some conflict. This leads to #2.

2. Although it had some of the best episodes, many of them were boring. You had to watch quite a few of them before you got to the good ones.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 12-03-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Never quite understood Roddenberry's insistance on "no conflict" in the initial stages of TNG. Pretty much a good chunk of TOS was the "big three" arguing with each other, or the guest crewman of the week questioning the Captain's orders.

Even the rest of Starfleet was shown to be a bit messed up from time to time. There's so many episodes dealing with corrupt captains and admirals that it pretty much spread to the rest of the franchise (including some of the movies) as a cliche.