Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Selene was brought back to life a few years ago in the all female x men title

Quote Originally Posted by Jovos2099 View Post
    Selene was brought back to life a few years ago in the all female x men title
    So I remembered correctly.

But how, exactly, did it happen?

More on-point - not sure where Coates is going with this? Selene? A woman called Alexi? Ok then...? I suppose this might have something to do with the Winter Guard... hmm.

Fantastic Member

Enchantress remade her on orders of Arkea.

Selene is also an External which the most recent cable run stated that an external will always come back as long as other external are around.

D-Man was resurrected in a Secret Wars tie-in and shown to be one of the people who survived the reconstruction of 616.
    And yes he was revealed to be gay int he issue of Cap. Falcon by Spencer.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Yeah, I know. But I actively try to block Spencer from my memory. Not that I don't begrudge anyone who enjoyed his Cap books, you do you, but as Steve Rogers is my favorite character, I personally did not enjoy Spencer. That said I did read both Sam and Steve's books, so my dislike for Spencer is not coming from an uninformed place.

...Spencer also made Rachel into a stripper and then had her turn to crime again, so I've still got issues with his portrayal of things in addition to creating Stevil. And making Wanda possessed... again... for like the umpteenth time in a decade. Come on, Spencer, you could have done better. His female portrayals were very... one dimensional.
    I had no time for Spencer cap at all

And I am still convinced they intended to keep cap evil for much longer, but turned tail on the idea when empire got such negative heat

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    And I am still convinced they intended to keep cap evil for much longer, but turned tail on the idea when empire got such negative heat
    No, not the case.

I get that some Cap fans didn't want to read about an evil Cap. That's fine.

But I think some fans would have enjoyed it more if they realized that, hey, this is a story with an obvious end game to it.

I don't care what Marvel says in order to preserve the suspense of a story. They can say it's the real Steve all day long but, as a fan, you have enough basic common sense to know that this is all ballyhoo and that, when all is said and done, Steve will be fine. It's the same thing with Superior Spider-Man. Yeah, they said that Peter Parker was dead and not coming back but you'd have to be an idiot to have actually believed that, just like you'd have had to be an idiot - or just insanely naive - to believe that Steve Rogers was going to be, for real, revealed to be a sleeper Hydra agent. Just to be clear: THAT WAS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

Now, some might say "But Marvel lied!" - but that's part of preserving the surprise of the story. No publisher or editor or writer wants to tell you ahead of time how a story - especially one that's going to run for months on end - is going to conclude. They're going to be deliberately cagey or misleading with facts. But, as a savvy reader, you should be able to read and enjoy a story like this without losing your mind. People should have the basic intelligence to know that, hey, these characters are IP's worth millions. There's no way in fu*king hell that they're going to permanently screw with them. On the other hand, they're also characters that are in perpetual publication, part of a serialized narrative that is going to continue unto infinity. That means that occasionally, they're going to - for the sake of keeping things interesting - shake things up. Characters will die (for a time) or turn evil (or at least appear to) or any number of scenarios that promise to change everything you knew about this character.

But at the end of the day, they'll always revert back to their classic form. If people keep that fact in mind, they might freak out less at the next earth-shaking storyline and just enjoy the ride.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    No, not the case.

I get that some Cap fans didn't want to read about an evil Cap. That's fine.

But I think some fans would have enjoyed it more if they realized that, hey, this is a story with an obvious end game to it.

I don't care what Marvel says in order to preserve the suspense of a story. They can say it's the real Steve all day long but, as a fan, you have enough basic common sense to know that this is all ballyhoo and that, when all is said and done, Steve will be fine. It's the same thing with Superior Spider-Man. Yeah, they said that Peter Parker was dead and not coming back but you'd have to be an idiot to have actually believed that, just like you'd have had to be an idiot - or just insanely naive - to believe that Steve Rogers was going to be, for real, revealed to be a sleeper Hydra agent. Just to be clear: THAT WAS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

Now, some might say "But Marvel lied!" - but that's part of preserving the surprise of the story. No publisher or editor or writer wants to tell you ahead of time how a story - especially one that's going to run for months on end - is going to conclude. They're going to be deliberately cagey or misleading with facts. But, as a savvy reader, you should be able to read and enjoy a story like this without losing your mind. People should have the basic intelligence to know that, hey, these characters are IP's worth millions. There's no way in fu*king hell that they're going to permanently screw with them. On the other hand, they're also characters that are in perpetual publication, part of a serialized narrative that is going to continue unto infinity. That means that occasionally, they're going to - for the sake of keeping things interesting - shake things up. Characters will die (for a time) or turn evil (or at least appear to) or any number of scenarios that promise to change everything you knew about this character.

But at the end of the day, they'll always revert back to their classic form. If people keep that fact in mind, they might freak out less at the next earth-shaking storyline and just enjoy the ride.

I disagree

I had heard from a number of areas, that they had intended to keep him evil from a good while longer to have another dark reign like period, and then revert him after that

Since I wasn't a fan of the story I didn't bother to note those areas, but I'm not interested in proving I saw them, I recall that I did and that's enough for me

I am fully aware that permanently turning him evil wasn't on the cards, but I do think they had options to maintain it for longer

And I do think they would have if it had been better received

And neither of us, or anyone outside of the creative and publisher will ever really know

They might have said what they intended, but since I really don't hold much stock in what the publisher says anymore (nice that they are keeping with one avengers book like they said for example) ill never be totally sure

Of course I accept this may have played out exactly as they wanted

But I'm not convinced

And I never said kept evil forever, I said for longer, nor did I suggest he would have been literally retconned into secret hydra in mythos reality

I said only evil for longer

This preview alone looks more interesting than the entire previous run.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

BANNED

I disagree

I had heard from a number of areas, that they had intended to keep him evil from a good while longer to have another dark reign like period, and then revert him after that.
    I question whether the "number of areas" you heard vague rumors from were reliable sources.

I'm guessing no, and it was simply the usual half-baked, uninformed talk that goes around comic circles.

Marvel would not embark on a storyline like this without having a clear idea of what their "out" would be.

And certainly, the end of SE is all about the real Steve returning. There'd be no reason to keep his doppelganger in charge past the end of the series.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I question whether the "number of areas" you heard vague rumors from were reliable sources.

I'm guessing no, and it was simply the usual half-baked, uninformed talk that goes around comic circles.

Marvel would not embark on a storyline like this without having a clear idea of what their "out" would be.

And certainly, the end of SE is all about the real Steve returning. There'd be no reason to keep his doppelganger in charge past the end of the series.
    the places I normally here such things are fairly good,but of course not perfect

Of course I feel they are not really less reliable than marvel itself nowadays

it was them who suggested it wouldn't end in just a brawl, which it basically did

And I appreciate the concept of real in a fictional case, but given that, the current version of cap out and about is a construction of a cosmic cube ish being, marvel itself in tohotmu said the shaper could not do that, thus cap is essentially a simulacrum from kobik based on a potion of caps persona

but it's comics, so what does that matter really I guess

As for not changing a story's end before its done, I reference DC's armageddon as a case in point

or marvels intention to replace peter with ben

It might happen rarely but it does happen

In fact the idea of legacy makes me think they did indeed rethink things done what, given how this was a non event thing that looks expressly like a holding pattern while they rethought things

But I accept that's conspiracy theory talk
    Last edited by kilderkin; 07-01-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    it's not her first time appearing in Cap's title. the Red Skull wanted to align with her during Gruenwald's run.

please spread the truth. do people forget marvel is a shared universe?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    please spread the truth. do people forget marvel is a shared universe?
    Im looking forward to him facing some different villains even if not totally new

Im looking forward to him facing some different villains even if not totally new
    Honestly it's sort of surprising that heroes don't face other villains more often. Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and pretty much all the street level marvel guys generally live like 20 minutes apart from each other by car. There's no reason they shouldn't constantly be bumping into each others arch enemies, even if by random chance. I think Avengers mansion is like down the block from the Hell Fire Club.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Honestly it's sort of surprising that heroes don't face other villains more often. Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and pretty much all the street level marvel guys generally live like 20 minutes apart from each other by car. There's no reason they shouldn't constantly be bumping into each others arch enemies, even if by random chance. I think Avengers mansion is like down the block from the Hell Fire Club.
    I would like to see a detailed map of Marvel's new York to see where the different locals and residences are in terms of each other

I do think you make a good and interesting point

I guess marvel team up sort of showed that a bit

yea the preview actually looks very interesting. I guess I will be adding captain America to my pull list for first time. never thought I would say that lol.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    exactly people getting upset about mutants popping up here and there sound petty and silly. these characters share the same universe (and some even the same city) it would be odd if they didnt ever cross paths.