Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Doom - Thanos - Galactus

I don't count Magneto nor Loki since they bounce around between being Villainous and Antiheroic too much.
    I mean Doom being Iron Man certainly ruins my entire point but if I am not mistaken Loki and Magneto jumped around much more than good old Vic.
    it can be interpreted that way. I would argue that Magneto isn't someone who changes. he wages a personal war inbetween relapsing into seclusion. it's only the way that other people react to him that changes. the X-Men have moved further right. and that makes Magneto seem like less of a villain. but he's still out there brutally killing potential enemies of mutantkind. he's still lying and manipulating those around him. he's not a bank robber or the type to gun for someone out of envy (like with doom and reed). he's a terrorist who sometimes passes as a freedom fighter.

similarly Loki is literally unable to change. he's a pawn of chaos doomed to cause mischief and shoot himself in the foot over and over again. he's a villain because of fate.

I don't think Magneto has ever really counted as a villain. His motivation as a character is purely selfless. Dude is incredibly twisted on how he should go about what he does but at the end of day he acts with others in mind. On some level that makes him a hero, especially if you are caring a X-Gene.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Doom - Thanos - Galactus

I don't count Magneto nor Loki since they bounce around between being Villainous and Antiheroic too much.
    I mean Doom being Iron Man certainly ruins my entire point but if I am not mistaken Loki and Magneto jumped around much more than good old Vic.
    Compared to Magneto I wouldn't say Loki's turn for heroism (or anti-heroism, as the case may be) has quite eclipsed his longstanding as a villain, since it's still been only in the past few years.

Helmut Zemo really needs to step up his game. he's had a few notable wins. but he isn't even in contention here; judging by everyone's picks. and what if Wilson Fisk? the Kingpin is pretty iconic. talk about a distinctive look.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Helmut Zemo really needs to step up his game. he's had a few notable wins. but he isn't even in contention here; judging by everyone's picks. and what if Wilson Fisk? the Kingpin is pretty iconic. talk about a distinctive look.
    I think Zemo should be high-up there by virtue of his status as a major Cap and Avengers villain, but in terms of recognition and standing he's probably not going to hold up compared to Red Skull, Thanos, and Loki.

He's probably a little above Kang since at least he's been in a movie.

Amazing Member

If I think about the ones I could easily recognize without actually read the comics

Green Goblin - Magneto - Phoenix Force (before Infinity Wars, now Thanos)
    Doom or Venom as #4

Loki is super popular, but I think of him now more like an anti-hero.

it might be easier to just narrow it down to Acts of Vengeance invites. that's who was seen as the top tier back then (the exception being the Wizard).

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    If I think about the ones I could easily recognize without actually read the comics

Green Goblin - Magneto - Phoenix Force (before Infinity Wars, now Thanos)
    Doom or Venom as #4

Loki is super popular, but I think of him now more like an anti-hero.
    I normally dismiss the Phoenix Force because it doesn't have a personality. it's a force.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I normally dismiss the Phoenix Force because it doesn't have a personality. it's a force.
    True. But I think the movies/cartoon sell it as a "villain" some years ago

In comics I can't say much for now, but I like Magneto, Green Goblin and Doom

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I would say Doom/Magneto/Goblin. But for the MCU, if you had asked non-comics fans to name some superhero villains, those are three they would be likely to come up with. Loki is a big deal in the Marvel U, but used to be kind of obscure outside of comics. Thanos definitely wasn't known by anyone who didn't know about comics before he popped up in the MCU.The other X-Men villains aren't well-known as Magneto.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Loki is a big deal in the Marvel U, but used to be kind of obscure outside of comics.
    Unless, of course, anybody had any vague familiarity with Norse mythology/literature . . .

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Unless, of course, anybody had any vague familiarity with Norse mythology/literature . . .
    Well obviously, yes, but people wouldn't be quick to name him as a supervillain unless they were specifically familiarr with the comics.

Doom and Thanos

Lokis probably bigger now than he's been in the past thanks to the MCU but at the same time his role is very different now. He's almost been Venom'd.

Magneto's kind of changed over the years too. He'd probably be up there back in the X-men heyday. As an antagonist more so than an outright villain anymore.

Thanos

Doom

(Third place constantly shifts)
    The J-man