View Poll Results: Do you believe Storm to be solely a weather manipulator?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: she needs weather for her powers to work

64 57.14%
  • No: She percieves energy and her manipulation of this results in weather phenomenon

37 33.04%
  • I dont know.

11 9.82%
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Storm can not control all energy she has not been shown to be able to control any of those three energies. It's also not like she hasn't been exposed enough to some of them, her teammate was Cyclops and psychics are abundant in the X-Men and their enemies. If she had the power to control them it would have happened already. She should never be able to control them, it undermines these characters and it's unnecessary for Storm. These energies simply are and forever will be beyond her control.
    There is no difference between this and giving Carol weather manipulation. All of this is pointless anyway as Marvel will never let Storm be able to do that (thankfully).
    Agreed. Storm is an energy manipulator, but she may only be able to control certain types of energy, either due to intrinsic limitations on her mutant powers, or to a lack of training and experience in how to manipulate other kinds of energy. You can make a logical argument that she should be able to control other kinds of energy, and I would totally buy everything you said, but Marvel almost never takes mutants' powers to their logical conclusion because it would make them too powerful.

Take Gambit as another example. He literally converts potential energy to kinetic energy on a molecular level, which should allow him to do way more than simply make objects explode. It's control over one of the most fundamental processes of physics. Technically, at his full strength, he has used his powers to heal, fly, travel through time, remake reality, etc. But you will effectively never get to see that in the comics, because it would make the other characters useless, and mean you had to invent ridiculously powerful enemies. It's why they always have to nerf Superman every few years.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

The bold is the most important thing. She control's the energy she perceives with that sight. The question is can she perceive those energies I mentioned? It has never been said that they are even within her perception let alone control.
    If that ever were to happen a lot of people would be pissed.
    I would argue that she can simply because all there powers are forms of energy. I dont know for sure that she would be able to control them simply because those energies are based and function differently than the ones she typically wields but at the end of the day it's all still energy.

and people are already pisses that she is a goddess and that she does anything outside of weather control. peoples lack of understanding about her power shouldnt be something that stifles her character development.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    Agreed. Storm is an energy manipulator, but she may only be able to control certain types of energy, either due to intrinsic limitations on her mutant powers, or to a lack of training and experience in how to manipulate other kinds of energy. You can make a logical argument that she should be able to control other kinds of energy, and I would totally buy everything you said, but Marvel almost never takes mutants' powers to their logical conclusion because it would make them too powerful.

Take Gambit as another example. He literally converts potential energy to kinetic energy on a molecular level, which should allow him to do way more than simply make objects explode. It's control over one of the most fundamental processes of physics. Technically, at his full strength, he has used his powers to heal, fly, travel through time, remake reality, etc. But you will effectively never get to see that in the comics, because it would make the other characters useless, and mean you had to invent ridiculously powerful enemies. It's why they always have to nerf Superman every few years.
    yea I agree i dont see marvel exploring these aspects of her power
    on another note I never thought about gambits power working fo do the things you described. very interesting. didnt he have a death deed or something where his full potential was explored? were either of these things explored?

just curious.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I would argue that she can simply because all there powers are forms of energy. I dont know for sure that she would be able to control them simply because those energies are based and function differently than the ones she typically wields but at the end of the day it's all still energy.

and people are already pisses that she is a goddess and that she does anything outside of weather control. peoples lack of understanding about her power shouldnt be something that stifles her character development.
    The energies on that page mentioned were mainly based around her weather control, it does not say all energy. Reducing those energies to "it's all energy so it's all the same" ignores the complexity and properties of these powers. Do you also believe that she is a matter manipulator?

The goddess thing is not the same, as this would not be character development. Her not being able to manipulate Cyclops' blasts is not stifling her in any way, but it does negatively affect him and others.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Character development should come from character first, not power development, and there's a hell of a lot that can be done with Storm's character that doesn't rely on her discovering she can manipulate quantum foam or gamma ray bursts or leech people's belief in her for a power boost to Goddess Form. Character first, feats somewhere far down the list.

As for what Storm can do... As usual, I'll ask if being able to manipulate weather across the planet and 'rip the oxygen from lungs' isn't powerful and multifaceted enough already? Let her 'just' be a weather manipulator who is exceptionally written as the bad ass character she is. Leave random energy feats to the Scarlet Witch and Doctor Strange, and leave godhood to the actual gods.
    Last edited by nx01a; 07-05-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Character development should come from character first, not power development, and there's a hell of a lot that can be done with Storm's character that doesn't rely on her discovering she can manipulate quantum foam or gamma ray bursts or leech people's belief in her for a power boost to Goddess Form. Character first, feats somewhere far down the list.

As for what Storm can do... As usual, I'll ask if being able to manipulate weather across the planet and 'rip the oxygen from lungs' isn't powerful and multifaceted enough already? Let her 'just' be a weather manipulator who is exceptionally written as the bad ass character she is. Leave random energy feats to the Scarlet Witch and Doctor Strange, and leave godhood to the actual gods.
    ripping oxygen from some one lungs is not just weather manipulation. nor is controlling solar winds, or hydrogen atoms in space. you are asking that her powerset be changed to something it was never described as being and this has nothing at all to feats but simply staying true to her established canon.

The energies on that page mentioned were mainly based around her weather control, it does not say all energy. Reducing those energies to "it's all energy so it's all the same" ignores the complexity and properties of these powers. Do you also believe that she is a matter manipulator?

The goddess thing is not the same, as this would not be character development. Her not being able to manipulate Cyclops' blasts is not stifling her in any way, but it does negatively affect him and others.
    the electrons that run in a person's body has nothing to do with weather control. read the part again that talks to how she has an edge in any fight .

her becoming a goddess is very much a character development of we recall what was mentioned years ago:

its further development of what was hinted at years ago.

ripping oxygen from some one lungs is not just weather manipulation. nor is controlling solar winds, or hydrogen atoms in space. you are asking that her powerset be changed to something it was never described as being and this has nothing at all to feats but simply staying true to her established canon.

the electrons that run in a person's body has nothing to do with weather control. read the part again that talks to how she has an edge in any fight .

her becoming a goddess is very much a character development of we recall what was mentioned years ago:

its further development of what was hinted at years ago.
    No, what I meant is that being able to control all energy is not character development and is not the same as the goddess situation.

Controlling electrical impulses in the body can be 1000% associated with her weather manipulation. It's creative and emphasizes her fine control. Suddenly being able to control Cyclops' beams or Sue's shields would make zero sense and is not the same at all.
    Last edited by Crimz; 07-05-2018 at 07:18 PM.

No, what I meant is that being able to control all energy is not character development and is not the same as the goddess situation.
    oh I think it would be character develpment where it relates to her being an omega level mutant.

oh I think it would be character develpment where it relates to her being an omega level mutant.
    An omega level mutant does not need to control all energy in existence, Iceman can only control ice and is still omega. It would be a useless power-up that benefits Storm at the expense of other characters.
    It would also make her boring quite frankly.

An omega level mutant does not need to control all energy in existence, Iceman can only control ice and is still omega. It would be a useless power-up that benefits Storm at the expense of other characters.
    It would also make her boring quite frankly.
    I never said that an omega level does but I'm making the argument she could be an omega level based upon this aspect of her being able to control energy.

and iceman ability as an omega goes beyond simple ice control. he can transport his consciousness in any form of water or ice and create sentient beings of ice. he even slowed time or stopped time in his solo.

and I'm not arguing it being boring. I'm not even making the point it should happen. I'm simply saying that she should be able to control those forms of energy based upon her powerset.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Yeah, mark me down in favour of her "just" being a weather manipulator. Because that's not "just" anything. It's acts-of-god level power by itself (biblical god, not loosey-goosey Marvel definition of what a god is this week) - with even a little imagination, Ororo can halt entire armies by burying them in snow, or create tidal waves, or melt the ice caps (or fix them, which someone ought to ask her about), or exhaust her enemies by dialling up the ambient temperature until they get heatstroke, or...you get it. Her powers, in their most classic form, are amazing, and only come off as unsatisfactory or 'not enough' when left in the hands of poor creators who treat her like she's just a floating lightning gun.
    I feel the same way.

Back in the day, Claremont had her manipulating humidity to dehydrate and weaken Magneto (whose magnetic shields were stopping her lightning attacks), chilling and draining the strength of Sebastian Shaw (who would become even stronger if she just threw lightning at him), generating a pea-soup fog that allowed Wolverine to operate with impunity, since it didn't impede his senses the way it did their enemies, etc. Clever uses of a very versatile powerset.

In later years it's been lightning zap after lightning zap (and even more boring technobabble 'feats' which make her feel more like a plot device than an actual *character,* valuable for herself than for her omega-level peen-measuring 'feats'), which just makes her a bog-standard blaster in a genre *crawling* with powerful blasters like Cyclops, Dazzler, Havok, Banshee, etc. I want a weather controller who actually controls the weather, which is a crazy awesome power, compared to one-trick pony 'blasters' like Sunfire, etc.

That said, I don't care enough about what Storm has turned into to want to try and salvage her. I'd be fine with a *real* weather controller being introduced who wasn't a boring zap-thrower.

Technically, she is a matter manipulator as she can manipulate both the molecules and unstable molecules in her cloths to form her X-costume. She done it many times over the years.

20180706_003532.jpg

But that's another discussion...continue with your conversation.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 07-05-2018 at 10:39 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Technically, she is a matter manipulator as she can manipulate both the molecules and unstable molecules in her cloths to form her X-costume. She done it many times over the years.

20180706_003532.jpg

But that's another discussion...continue with your conversation.
    thst works too boo. thst works too

I attribute this to manipulate of atoms how she manipulates electrons which still center around energy. molecules as we all know contain energy within and around them.

BANNED

her becoming a goddess is very much a character development of we recall what was mentioned years ago...
    This is not what character development means. They're just power boosts and her character, her personality has not changed because of them.

I'm pretty shocked at people's opinions, she's always been an energy manipulator since the beginning, and I don't see where people think that that makes her so much more incredibly powerful. It doesn't mean she can manipulate all energies, it's simply an explanation of her powers. It explains why her eyes turn/glow white while she's using her powers and why she's able to do everything she can. Does it not make more sense to people that she actually creates lightning rather than having us just think she can make them appear however she likes? How else would she be able to make the most of what she has in a limited atmosphere if she can't sense/see exactly what's there to manipulate? How else can she create weather phenomena with such precision if she's not seeing exactly what it will affect?

I think it makes much more sense that she is in complete control of what she's creating by seeing and manipulating the condition she desires, if she didn't manipulate weather by it's energy then how exactly is she? Is she just hoping that she's not gonna cause a drought in surrounding areas by calling down rain, or does it not make more sense that she knows exactly how much moisture there is she can safely draw from without causing repercussions? Does it not make more sense that she knows exactly how to create specific temperatures rather than simply willing -200 and the weather just does it? The same thing would go for lightning, how else does she control the difference between a strong shock to disintergrstion? If she didn't create her effects using its energy then she'd be a horrible weather manipulator, it actually explains how she's so precise, how she has complete control, and how she knows what exactly show to crate the desired affect (heavy to light rain, strong to small lightning, a breeze to a full hurricane force blast, etc etc). I mean just her iconic small rainclouds she uses to water her flowers makes much more sense.

She's a weather manipulator, but just as Magneto is sold as someone who manipulates magnetism it doesn't mean they stop there, their powers are similar and go far deeper than their names suggest.