Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Detective Comics 984 preview/discussion thread

The preview is finally out for today's issue : http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/07/06/e...ve-comics-984/

Cass is awesome, as always !

The art looks good, nice and clean.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Cassandra looks older than she's usually drawn. I kinda like it. Though I'm surprised the villain didn't use a bomb again. Seems much safer than engaging her one on one.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    The preview is finally out for today's issue : http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/07/06/e...ve-comics-984/

Cass is awesome, as always !
    Pretty solid issue. Still excited for this arc, though not quite as much as last issue, because spoilers:
    Bruce seems to be agreeing with Karma about the Batfamily. Now, I know that's part of the cliffhanger, and I know that Hill doesn't agree with it, but it's ominious.

That being said, I loved seeing Cass fighting Karma - and I'm glad that Hill, fanboy of Cass, didn't just have her curbstomp Karma. There's clearly some kind of powerset available with the character or suit.

Love Bruce's rundown of the family, and the connection between Babs and Cass. Black Lightning seems to be really adding to the story, though he also gave Karma a free shot at Batman with lightning.
    end of spoilers
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

OMG! here we go again...just readed it...this was the 1000.000 time ive see a mind-reader fight, and it went down the same way it always does...and with the same flawled logic as always...mind-reader isnt a very quick or skilled fighter…but because he can read thoughts he gains skill and super-speed via plot!
    same thing here, Cass blitzed this guy in the begining of the fight, then he started to read her mind, and kabum! he now has the speed to keep up and the skill and fighting knowledge to even understand her thoughts and block her attacks...lol...i guess that if i get a mind-reading helmet ill be able to beat Connor Macgregor easy...oh wait…
    giphy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bat_girl_cc View Post
    OMG! here we go again...just readed it...this was the 1000.000 time ive see a mind-reader fight, and it went down the same way it always does...and with the same flawled logic as always...mind-reader isnt a very quick or skilled fighter…but because he can read thoughts he gains skill and super-speed via plot!
    same thing here, Cass blitzed this guy in the begining of the fight, then he started to read her mind, and kabum! he now has the speed to keep up and the skill and fighting knowledge to even understand her thoughts and block her attacks...lol...i guess that if i get a mind-reading helmet ill be able to beat Connor Macgregor easy...oh wait…
    giphy.jpg
    Isn't the helmet Braniac tech? I'd think that would give some advantages.

Well, it's at least alien tech, or very advanced Earth one, allowing the wielder to absorb and redirect metahuman powers thrown at him. So far, Karma was neither overpowered (he didn't manage to finish Cass even if he managed to gain the upper hand). But he has been planning it for years, probably trained intensively. He's not a random dude stumbling upon an alien helmet, he's a dedicated foe and I hope that he'll manage to last, if only as a recurring opponent of the Outsiders, if nothing else.

Art was fine. The plot of a villain buying tech to justify coming out of nowhere, yet being able to challenge our heroes, isn’t an exciting concept but it works and allows the writer to deliver a dynamic issue without having to break the rhythm to bring in details, at least for now. The issue left me wanting more, so that’s a good sign, and the exchange between Black Lightning, Alfred and Batman were great. I’m pretty satisfied with this arc
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat_girl_cc View Post
    giphy.jpg
    I don't think he's a mind reader. Remember he absorbed Black Lightning's abilities as well. From what it seems like, he has the ability to absorb peoples powers that he is hit by. Not sure if it is one at a time or he keeps them permanently though.

Astonishing Member

This issue is continuing to cement the idea of Duke getting fridge, he almost had no panel time in this issue. The fact that Cassandra main purpose was for her to visit Duke after he got wrecked, and yet there was no panel time shown between the two interacting after everyone came back is giving me huge warning bells. If this doesn't shape up by next issue then I'm going to considered this arc a loss.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    I don't think he's a mind reader.
    Yeah he is, that and more tho. Remember he could clearly see Bruces memories of the night his parents died.

Another great issue from Mr. Hill! The dialogue is tight and smart. Karma is a beast! I like him as a villain and he has definitely made me interested to see what his next move is. Cassandra Cain is a goddamn machine, they made her crazy badass. I love the way Bruce broke down each character; i love when they show that detective side of him. Hill clearly knows his Batman. Unfortunately, still no Duke action but I guess I begrudgingly am gonna have to let that go because it seems like this arc is gonna focus on pretty much everyone else; which explains why he's not on any of the covers. *sigh* putting that aside, all in all it's an excellent issue.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Another great issue from Mr. Hill! The dialogue is tight and smart. Karma is a beast! I like him as a villain and he has definitely made me interested to see what his next move is. Cassandra Cain is a goddamn machine, they made her crazy badass. I love the way Bruce broke down each character; i love when they show that detective side of him. Hill clearly knows his Batman. Unfortunately, still no Duke action but I guess I begrudgingly am gonna have to let that go because it seems like this arc is gonna focus on pretty much everyone else; which explains why he's not on any of the covers. *sigh* putting that aside, all in all it's an excellent issue.
    If all he is going to do is be a black male in the fridge-what was the point of him being in this? Going by every solicitation-it implied he was going to do something. Instead he gets blown up and more one page cameos.

I don't pay for cameos.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If all he is going to do is be a black male in the fridge-what was the point of him being in this? Going by every solicitation-it implied he was going to do something. Instead he gets blown up and more one page cameos.

I don't pay for cameos.
    It's profoundly disappointing and honestly if Bryan Hill wasn't writing this and everything else wasn't so good, I'd probably drop this for misleading me. My policy is to reserve final judgements till the end of an arc so I'm still holding out hope for my boy; especially with a black writer and double especially because it's Bryan Hill. However, I am starting from now to brace myself for when Duke ends up going the way of the Batwings; wallpaper to fit a quota until they unceremoniously throw them away for the next token black character in the batfamily. The next guy'll probably be named Batarang or Shark Repellent...

If we make it to 3 issues and Duke is still just...around, then I'd be truly concerned for him.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-11-2018 at 06:31 PM.

I absolutely love this arc.

One of the subtle things I love is when characters are shown in casual clothes other than their costumes. It just adds something. Like they're more fleshed out and it shows them being more than just their alter ego.
    Last edited by Iconic; 07-12-2018 at 06:38 AM.