Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

If they put Yang/Shaner on one of them, I would be a very happy man.

Other writing choices? Probably Loveness (he absolutely deserves a shot at Metropolis) or Waid, though I don't know if Waid would want to inherit a Superman who is married with a grown son and no secret ID. Who knows?

But those three all seem like solid choices with Yang being the clear front runner for my money.

I know Priest has mentioned people would hate his Superman, but having read his issues with him in Deathstroke and how he's discussed Clark before, I am interested in his take on the Man of Tomorrow as well.

Jeff Parker has been brought up and his stellar run on Aquaman post-Johns is enough for me to be interested. Venditti has proven he has a good grasp on Clark, his Hawkman run has been wonderful and I think the solid, but unremarkable digital stories shouldn't be held against him on the list. He was doing one-shots that were meant to be timeless, and again, Hawkman has proven he can play the long game well.

So that's my list.

Yang/Shaner
    Loveness/Shaner
    Waid/Shaner
    Priest/Shaner
    Parker/Shaner
    Venditti/Shaner

GET EVAN "DOC" SHANER ON SUPERMAN, DAMMIT! Killin' me over here.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Ewing is *always* a good pick. I'd kill people to see that happen.
    He's the ideal, and I'm sure it'll happen someday. But right now he's got Hulk, GOTG, cowriting Empyre, and whatever he recently hinted he has coming up with Javier Rodriguez (I'd guess the Masked Raider event book spinning out of Marvel #1000), plus now today's full announcement of We Only Find Them When They're Dead for BOOM. Though at least the latter, along with looking incredible, means he's no longer exclusive with Marvel.

Damn you for putting that beautiful, impossible idea in my head.
    Hey, Pak's worked for DC since then! Not *much*, but he did that Kamandi issue in 2017.

I feel like Fraction would write a super polarizing Superman run that I'd love to see. I feel like not everyone gets his writing or his sense of humor, and a lot of people wouldn't consider it appropriate for Clark. But I'm not one of them, so Fraction on the book/s would be just fine with me!
    As a relative Fraction skeptic I'd love to see what he'd do, but I'd be flabbergasted if he had any DC projects in mind beyond Jimmy Olsen.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    For Superman, I want Tom King. I really loved his Omega Men, and Mister Miracle books. Currently loving his Adam Strange book. I want this book to be high brow sci-fi, Bronze Age Superman, minus the towing planets with a chain Superman, but a Len Wein/Jim Starlin DCCP Superman. On art duties, Clay Mann or Pepe Larraz.
    Lately he's been posting a lot of panels from deep cut Golden/Silver/Bronze Age Superman comics on Twitter that looks like research, but if that's what it seems and he is in fact working on another Superman project, I doubt it would be for the main books.
    Buh-bye

Writers:
    Warren Ellis - he probably would only do 12 issues, but they would be awesome.
    John Ridley - I want it since I read American Way.
    Joshua Williamson - Nailbiter and Birthright are two of my favorites.
    Tom King - loved Mister Miracle
    Ta Nehesi Coates - don't like his Black Panther, never read his Captain America, but he would bring a level of atention Superman don't see in years.

Artists:
    Jorge Jimenez - the guy was born to do Superman and Super Sons show it.
    Ivan Reis - why change him?
    Rafael Albuquerque.
    Clay Mann.
    Jamal Campbell.
    Ricardo Federicci.
    Liam Sharpe.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    As a relative Fraction skeptic I'd love to see what he'd do, but I'd be flabbergasted if he had any DC projects in mind beyond Jimmy Olsen.
    Don't know how it slipped my mind, but not too long ago Bendis posted a picture of he and Fraction going up to DC for some meeting regarding things to come. This was obviously after Jimmy and even the Heroes and Villains one shots.

Similar to Yang Bendis placed him on both his Superman reading list and his stay inside reading list (something not even Rucka was afforded), and in the interview today he talked about how Fraction finds writing Superman as therapeutic as he does.

And Bendis keeps talking about how the events in Jimmy Olsen are going to pay off in the Superman books big time (something he once again stress in the interview today).

Fraction and Yang may in fact be a possibility. Gonna listen to a word balloon live stream he did from last month now.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I've kind of suspected that Bendis was a Didio hire. And with him out of the picture, his cover is gone. Plus, my understanding is that he didn't bring in nearly the numbers they were hoping for. It sounds like they're trying to get rid of any trace of the Didio era.
    I heard that Bendis was hired by former DC head honcho Diane Nelson, not Didio.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    If they put Yang/Shaner on one of them, I would be a very happy man.

Other writing choices? Probably Loveness (he absolutely deserves a shot at Metropolis) or Waid, though I don't know if Waid would want to inherit a Superman who is married with a grown son and no secret ID. Who knows?

But those three all seem like solid choices with Yang being the clear front runner for my money.

I know Priest has mentioned people would hate his Superman, but having read his issues with him in Deathstroke and how he's discussed Clark before, I am interested in his take on the Man of Tomorrow as well.

Jeff Parker has been brought up and his stellar run on Aquaman post-Johns is enough for me to be interested. Venditti has proven he has a good grasp on Clark, his Hawkman run has been wonderful and I think the solid, but unremarkable digital stories shouldn't be held against him on the list. He was doing one-shots that were meant to be timeless, and again, Hawkman has proven he can play the long game well.

So that's my list.

Yang/Shaner
    Loveness/Shaner
    Waid/Shaner
    Priest/Shaner
    Parker/Shaner
    Venditti/Shaner

GET EVAN "DOC" SHANER ON SUPERMAN, DAMMIT! Killin' me over here.
    I’d love to get Shaner on a Superman ongoing, but I just can’t see it lasting. He’s fantastic but he’s also very slow. Other than the occasional one off or two issue arc I just dunno if he can handle the workload.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I heard that Bendis was hired by former DC head honcho Diane Nelson, not Didio.
    She was probably the one who did handle recruiting him, but it was Didio who Bendis specifically names as the one Bendis talked about in regards to his onboarding process and being offered teams like Legion and YJ.
    He's the ideal, and I'm sure it'll happen someday. But right now he's got Hulk, GOTG, cowriting Empyre, and whatever he recently hinted he has coming up with Javier Rodriguez (I'd guess the Masked Raider event book spinning out of Marvel #1000), plus now today's full announcement of We Only Find Them When They're Dead for BOOM. Though at least the latter, along with looking incredible, means he's no longer exclusive with Marvel.

Hey, Pak's worked for DC since then! Not *much*, but he did that Kamandi issue in 2017.

Lately he's been posting a lot of panels from deep cut Golden/Silver/Bronze Age Superman comics on Twitter that looks like research, but if that's what it seems and he is in fact working on another Superman project, I doubt it would be for the main books.
    Didn’t he post some Superman’s Girlfriend Lois Lane panels? Maybe he’s planning a Superman/Lois mini in the same vein as Batman/Catwoman.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Shaner probably can't do the monthly grind, it's true, but I'd still love to see him pencil a limited series. His style is timeless and fits the DCU like a glove.

Since he's been part of the Bendis era for a while, I'd hate to see Ryan Sook leave the Super corner of the DCU. If he gets off Legion, I hope he finds his way back to Metropolis.

Well this is a new wrinkle: https://bleedingcool.com/comics/rumo...ng-initiative/
    So, in the spirit of that, and aware that this could lead to nothing as well as something, here is what I've been hearing this weekend. Yes, 5G is most definitely cancelled at DC Comics with kill fees paid to those who create not inconsiderable amounts of work for it. I understand that's what Robert Venditti had been working on as well, explaining why his Justice League run was intentionally short. The only other creators I'd heard solidly connected with 5G were John Ridley on Batman and Francis Manapul on Aquaman.

But something seems to be taking its place in terms of scope, if not in continuity, at DC Comics . It's also a digital comics initiative, the kind of thing that might be collected later in graphic novel format for comic stores and bookstores. Let's call the Original Digital Comics shall we?

I have heard three names mentioned at DC Comics in association with whatever this is. Warren Ellis, Chip Zdarsky and Matt Fraction. And that it may involve new versions of Superman and Batman, That is it. Nothing more. It came from well-connected comic book creators but who knows how that has changed even in that short retelling.
    So instead of 5G with Jon Kent as Superman, we might be getting a new “Ultimate” Superman if you will, created by three creators who I would all love to see write Clark Kent. Rich can’t confirm anything beyond 5G for sure being dead though.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    She was probably the one who did handle recruiting him, but it was Didio who Bendis specifically names as the one Bendis talked about in regards to his onboarding process and being offered teams like Legion and YJ.
    That sounds about right. I think Nelson made the overture, and Didio was charged with wooing him. From the way he's talked about it in interviews, it sounds like Bendis wanted to talk to to Didio first to make sure they'd get along before taking the job. Bendis said he's heard "horror stories" about Didio from other creators who fled during the chaotic New 52 era.

Censorship Sucks

With the exception of Waid (I don't like him), I am looking very forward to post-Bendis Superman. I will be adding both Action Comics and Superman to my pull list again. I have really missed the characters, but like the old saying goes, I had to vote with my wallet and have not purchased the books in about two years.

Incredible Member

Hope Jon's age is undone and prefferably early on. Otherwise I'm not interested.

Sorry, it doesn't mean that at all. Exclusivity with Marvel or DC just means don't work for DC or Marvel respectively. Kelly Thompson is Marvel exclusive but writes Sabrina the Teenage Witch for Archie.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well this is a new wrinkle: https://bleedingcool.com/comics/rumo...ng-initiative/

So instead of 5G with Jon Kent as Superman, we might be getting a new “Ultimate” Superman if you will, created by three creators who I would all love to see write Clark Kent. Rich can’t confirm anything beyond 5G for sure being dead though.
    It is funny, with the speculation about matt fraction in this thread that he is listed as a possible creator for this new initative.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Steel—David F. Walker. His run on Cage had to be some of the best comics Marvel had put out in years. Steel needs that right now. On art—Jamal Campbell. Far Sector is AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL.
    You've read Naomi, right? If not, you drop what you're doing right now and go order the trade.

So, Shaner would be amazing, obviously, but is too slow.....so I say pair him with Chris Samnee. They've got similar styles so there wouldn't be much dissonance between artists, and they can leap frog each other on arcs, giving both of them the time they need.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It is funny, with the speculation about matt fraction in this thread that he is listed as a possible creator for this new initative.
    Bendis has said Fraction enjoys playing in Superman’s world, so I can see Fraction taking on the job of crafting a new original Superman.
    You've read Naomi, right? If not, you drop what you're doing right now and go order the trade.

So, Shaner would be amazing, obviously, but is too slow.....so I say pair him with Chris Samnee. They've got similar styles so there wouldn't be much dissonance between artists, and they can leap frog each other on arcs, giving both of them the time they need.
    Samnee’s last Big 2 work was with Waid at Marvel and Parker at DC right? Wouldn’t surprise me if Waid ropes him into doing Superman stuff with him.