Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Astonishing Member

I'll probably still bet on the option that Venditti and Taylor will get Superman (who has which book I have no idea). Absolutely safe options for DC, to which, most likely, the majority of the public will react favorably, judging by the reactions.
    And Waid in the current situation is more likely to get a Black Label of some kind.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Taylor is alright. Especially, when there is stakes. He does do a decent job with jon. I liked some of the humour . Still, i am afraid jon is gonna become too much like clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I'll probably still bet on the option that Venditti and Taylor will get Superman (who has which book I have no idea). Absolutely safe options for DC, to which, most likely, the majority of the public will react favorably, judging by the reactions.
    And Waid in the current situation is more likely to get a Black Label of some kind.
    I would have agreed with you except Black Label seems to have been taken around back and shot. Mark Doyle was head of that and has been fired, along with Andy Khouri another BL editor. If Waid wants to write Superman, mainline Superman seems to be the only option for now.

I really want to see Mark Russel have a run with Superman, while he like the character, he would probably interrogate a lot of basic concepts that form Superman, and he is a very political writer, so questions like when and why should Superman interfere with goverment would probably be adressed. In a interview he said that he would like to write about what should someone as powerful as Superman do and when to act.

Now, I know is nothing new to see a writer coming to Superman and question his views, but I do believe, after reading some of Russell works that he would do a better job in that regard.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I really want to see Mark Russel have a run with Superman, while he like the character, he would probably interrogate a lot of basic concepts that form Superman, and he is a very political writer, so questions like when and why should Superman interfere with goverment would probably be adressed. In a interview he said that he would like to write about what should someone as powerful as Superman do and when to act.

Now, I know is nothing new to see a writer coming to Superman and question his views, but I do believe, after reading some of Russell works that he would do a better job in that regard.
    I would love Russell on the book but considering DC sees him as a tie-in/low tier character writer I just don't know they'd jump him to Superman so quickly. I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't know. On the other hand, DC is currently the wild west so who knows what goes anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I would love Russell on the book but considering DC sees him as a tie-in/low tier character writer I just don't know they'd jump him to Superman so quickly. I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't know. On the other hand, DC is currently the wild west so who knows what goes anymore.
    I think a good way to go would be pairing Russell with some more "mainstrean" writer, like Waid or Taylor. Taht way DC could have one of the super books more about the traditional superhero stuff and another more polically minded by Russell.

But who knows what is going to happen, if I had to bet I would go with Taylor and Waid.

I don't think that i have ever read anything by him. What has he done?
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I don't think that i have ever read anything by him. What has he done?
    For DC?
    Flintstones
    Wonder Twins
    Some issues of Gotham Knights
    His style is black comedy mixed with social satire/commentary which has worked surprisingly well.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    For DC?
    Flintstones
    Wonder Twins
    Some issues of Gotham Knights
    His style is black comedy mixed with social satire/commentary which has worked surprisingly well.
    Yeah and his run on Red Sonja has been great and not what you would expect if all to you know about her is redhead in a chainmail bikini. So far I've yet to read something of his I didn't enjoy.

Go read Wonder Twins. You're welcome.

I think a good way to go would be pairing Russell with some more "mainstrean" writer, like Waid or Taylor. Taht way DC could have one of the super books more about the traditional superhero stuff and another more polically minded by Russell.

But who knows what is going to happen, if I had to bet I would go with Taylor and Waid.
    Someone “mainstream” like Waid, Venditti, or Taylor on one book and then someone more “experimental” like Yang or Russel on the other is my ideal set up as well.

Thanks for the recomendations
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I may be in the minority, but I don’t want someone too “preachy” on Superman. Superman, to me, is a “middle of the road” character. I don’t want “Super extreme farm boy conservative” nor “alt-left super journalist liberal”. As long as a writer can tell a good story without trying to make it sound like half of the fan base is alienated because “I believe this way, and if you don’t, shame on you”. I tend to thank of Clark/Kal-El as those old school journalists in the vein of Walter Cronkite. He may have is personal leanings, but at the end of the day, reports the news right down the middle. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    I may be in the minority, but I don’t want someone too “preachy” on Superman. Superman, to me, is a “middle of the road” character. I don’t want “Super extreme farm boy conservative” nor “alt-left super journalist liberal”. As long as a writer can tell a good story without trying to make it sound like half of the fan base is alienated because “I believe this way, and if you don’t, shame on you”. I tend to thank of Clark/Kal-El as those old school journalists in the vein of Walter Cronkite. He may have is personal leanings, but at the end of the day, reports the news right down the middle. Just my opinion.
    Of the four guys I think are most likely, Venditti would probably give you the closest to what you seem to want I think. Waid, Taylor, and Yang have been pretty left leaning in all their stuff. But we’ll see who they choose.