Page 42 of 79 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I fav'ed this pic as soon as I saw it on Devianart a couple of days ago. I've always liked the concept of Iron Spider-MJ. One must admit being the Iron Spider seems to fit, she looks great.

Iron Spider-MJ brings up an interesting thought. I know there are people on here who do not want MJ to gain superpowers, but I must ask:

How would you feel about MJ using the Iron Spider suit on occasion moving forward? That is the compromise solution I came up with in my Marvel/DC crossover "Convergence Point" -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1319924...vergence-Point
    Same.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I appreciate that her solo is featuring her as a civilian getting by in a world of Supervillains instead of yet another Superhero.
    Same here. I think we need more stories/comics like that, overall, since as I've opined in the past, Marvel superheroes are increasingly insular and insulated from the ordinary humans they protect, which creates a sense of alienation between them and those ordinary humans that can lead to some very dark places if not tempered with compassion and empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I mean she shoot Norman in Marvel Knigths and was able to save herself from normal goons in ocassions, i say that is more impressive when she does that stuff without superpowers.
    Yeah, that was one of my favorite moments in Mark Millar's Marvel Knights Spider-Man, and MJ being resourceful enough to deal with normal goons and even the occasional supervillain without having superpowers of her own or needing to be rescued by Peter/Spidey is definitely impressive. I still look back fondly on ASM Annual 19 where she tricked Alistair Smythe (in his first comics appearance, no less).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Funny enough, I hate whenever people say that she keeps Peter grounded because it sounds like they're saying that she limits his stories.

Considering how many people are against Spider-Man being anything other than "American cartoon with superpowers" (and I don't mean stuff like Young Justice), I'm starting to wonder if she does limit his stories.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Funny enough, I hate whenever people say that she keeps Peter grounded because it sounds like they're saying that she limits his stories.

Considering how many people are against Spider-Man being anything other than "American cartoon with superpowers" (and I don't mean stuff like Young Justice), I'm starting to wonder if she does limit his stories.
    She only limits him in the dating scene. Anything else is relying of whatever the writer wants to tackle.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

She only limits him in the dating scene. Anything else is relying of whatever the writer wants to tackle.
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. Frankly, I've long since had enough of Marvel trying to recapture the "swinging single glory days" at the expense of denigrating the most meaningful and mature romantic relationship to be depicted in the pages and history of Spider-Man as a character and a franchise, so praises to Nick Spencer (so far) for bringing Mary Jane and Peter back together and giving their relationship its due credence and respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. Frankly, I've long since had enough of Marvel trying to recapture the "swinging single glory days" at the expense of denigrating the most meaningful and mature romantic relationship to be depicted in the pages and history of Spider-Man as a character and a franchise, so praises to Nick Spencer (so far) for bringing Mary Jane and Peter back together and giving their relationship its due credence and respect.
    Ironically my least favorite arc is the one with Miguel, there some interesting parts there, but it was really hard to get througth it, is why i actually took me a while to cacth on with the title again.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Angry

As have I. I'm going to be brutally honest with my opinion here (rare, huh?) -

This is being done to have things the way they were when certain Marvel staffers experienced their childhoods, which is both regressive and disgusting, IMO. They don't want a more mature Spider-Man which they say "sucks" so we the fans aren't allowed to have one either. Seeing Peter go through the same old personal struggles he has a million times before, without the promise of progression of any sort, isn't entertainment it's boring. What has happened to 616 Spider-Man and his supporting cast Post-OMD is by far the worst case of editorial interference I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing. Thank goodness this awful trend appears to be slowly reversing itself. *crosses fingers & toes it continues doing so*
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-28-2020 at 06:16 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

This is being done to have things the way they were when certain Marvel staffers experienced their childhoods, which is both regressive and disgusting, IMO. They don't want a more mature Spider-Man which they say "sucks" so we the fans aren't allowed to have one either. Seeing Peter go through the same old personal struggles he has a million times, without the promise of progression of any sort before isn't entertainment it's boring. What has happened to 616 Spider-Man and his supporting cast Post-OMD is by far the worst case of editorial interference I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing. Thank goodness this awful trend appears to be slowly reversing itself. *crosses fingers & toes it continues doing so*
    Well to be a bit fair, Slott did tried some different things, like Superior or Parker Industries (i guest that you could count Horizon Labs, but that was what Tripcorp was anyway). He just executed then very poorly, because he isn't a very good writer, admittedly i wasn't big on those ideas myself, but i'm pretty sure that anyone else at Marvel would have handle then better that he ever could, hell the PS4 game kind of proves my point on that.
    Last edited by TheCape; 09-28-2020 at 09:16 PM.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Ironically my least favorite arc is the one with Miguel, there some interesting parts there, but it was really hard to get througth it, is why i actually took me a while to cacth on with the title again.
    As a fan of Miguel and 2099 (and the overall cyberpunk genre), I can admit the relaunch was something of a disappointment, even if I liked many if not most of the ideas there. All about the execution, I suppose.

This is being done to have things the way they were when certain Marvel staffers experienced their childhoods, which is both regressive and disgusting, IMO. They don't want a more mature Spider-Man which they say "sucks" so we the fans aren't allowed to have one either. Seeing Peter go through the same old personal struggles he has a million times before, without the promise of progression of any sort, isn't entertainment it's boring. What has happened to 616 Spider-Man and his supporting cast Post-OMD is by far the worst case of editorial interference I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing. Thank goodness this awful trend appears to be slowly reversing itself. *crosses fingers & toes it continues doing so*
    Cosigned.

Well to be a bit fair, Slott did tried some different things, like Superior or Parker Industries (i guest that you could count Horizon Labs, but that was what Tripcorp was anyway). He just exexuted it very poorly, because he isn't a very good writer, admittedly i wasn't big on those ideas myself, but i'm pretty sure that anyone else at Marvel would have handle then better that he ever, hell PS4 game kind of proves my point on that.
    Probably, though for what it was worth, I did enjoy those aspects on a cosmetic level, i.e. all the new costumes that came with Horizon Labs, Superior, and Parker Industries. That said, I do agree that the execution could have been much better than it turned out.

As a fan of Miguel and 2099 (and the overall cyberpunk genre), I can admit the relaunch was something of a disappointment, even if I liked many if not most of the ideas there. All about the execution, I suppose.

Cosigned.

Probably, though for what it was worth, I did enjoy those aspects on a cosmetic level, i.e. all the new costumes that came with Horizon Labs, Superior, and Parker Industries. That said, I do agree that the execution could have been much better than it turned out.
    Some of the ideas were kind of interesting, like Doom 2099 being Reed Richards, but his Miguel was kind of bland and that didn't help. Plus i never saw much point on rebooting the 2099 line, many of their themes are still relevant today (maybe even more), i don't see how 2019 could bring much difference from the 90s.

I get why people enjoy then in theory, because it was something very different and superficially it looks nice, but that's all what it was for me, Slott writing is like the worst kind of junk food, it looks good, but doesn't taste like it and you still get the worst parts of eating it.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Some of the ideas were kind of interesting, like Doom 2099 being Reed Richards, but his Miguel was kind of bland and that didn't help. Plus i never saw much point on rebooting the 2099 line, many of their themes are still relevant today (maybe even more), i don't see how 2019 could bring much difference from the 90s.

I get why people enjoy then in theory, because it was something very different and superficially it looks nice, but that's all what it was for me, Slott writing is like the worst kind of junk food, it looks good, but doesn't taste like it and you still get the worst parts of eating it.
    That's a good point. Perhaps it would have been better to do a continuation rather than an outright reboot, maybe blend in some of the better elements of the new 2099 into the original 2099 setting.

Astonishing Member

I’m sad that Slott didn’t make it Alchemax like it was originally implied.

Same here, I liked it being (heavily implied) that Alchemax was the big bad company in Miguel's world, oh well.....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

did any of you ordered volume 2 of Amazing Mary Jane? My sister preorder it from amazon who has prime but no word. its said in the site its out of stock?

Astonishing Member

I mean she shoot Norman in Marvel Knigths and was able to save herself from normal goons in ocassions, i say that is more impressive when she does that stuff without superpowers.
    Using guns is never well seen, unless you are a fan of the Punisher. And although dealing with normal goons is admirable, Spider-Man's enemies are beyond "regular". MJ is a really impressive woman by her own, I won't say other way, but she's still a regular woman trapped in a crossfire of super-powers. So even if she doesn't put on a suit, having powers would definitely help her to survive.

Same here, I liked it being (heavily implied) that Alchemax was the big bad company in Miguel's world, oh well.....
    I thought Spencer was the one writing or masterminding that 2099 event last year. And yeah, Alchemax was still a big bad in the new 2099, though I didn't like Doom being the bigger bad all along there, as opposed to him fighting against the megacorps in the original 2099 line.