Page 146 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 2482

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Is it traditional to have a reception after a funeral? Where i come from we typically have a house party.
    Yes. It's usually called a wake.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Depends on the exact culture/religion.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wakes comes before funerals. The name comes from the days when medical science was kind of iffy and someone would have to sit up with the body on the off chance that the deceased should 'wake', thus proving they were not really dead. After funerals, there's often some kind of potluck dinner. I think this stemmed from a tendency people have to give people who experience a loss food, usually casseroles and other one-pan meals, under the impression that they will be too busy making arrangements or too upset to make dinners. The thing is, if enough people do it you just have way too much food for one family. Thus, why the party. It also kind of evolved into a way of experiencing the comfort of family and friends in a less somber setting and reaffirming connections in life in the face of loss.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Thought this might be of interest: This week on Nerdy Nummies, Ro Pansino made something that seems oddly fitting for our girl. X-Men themed soft pretzels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZatoRqhJlU
    For a minute I thought she was going to make Jube-shaped pretzels. Oh well, they still look delicious. Her voice makes me want to shove sharpened pencils in my ears though. Haven’t heard a voice like that since lamaze class.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Wakes comes before funerals. The name comes from the days when medical science was kind of iffy and someone would have to sit up with the body on the off chance that the deceased should 'wake', thus proving they were not really dead. After funerals, there's often some kind of potluck dinner. I think this stemmed from a tendency people have to give people who experience a loss food, usually casseroles and other one-pan meals, under the impression that they will be too busy making arrangements or too upset to make dinners. The thing is, if enough people do it you just have way too much food for one family. Thus, why the party. It also kind of evolved into a way of experiencing the comfort of family and friends in a less somber setting and reaffirming connections in life in the face of loss.
    Wakes really aren’t a thing here, which is surprising since 90% of the local population are of Irish/Scottish extraction. But i think the bolded part hits the nail on the head. A potluck dinner with way too much food (under the assumption that the bereaved family will be too debilitated by grief to turn the stove on for two weeks I guess), and entirely too much booze (ie: the real reason they can’t operate the stove).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Astonishing Member

For a minute I thought she was going to make Jube-shaped pretzels. Oh well, they still look delicious. Her voice makes me want to shove sharpened pencils in my ears though. Haven’t heard a voice like that since lamaze class.
    No, they're X shaped pretzels. But pretzels are classic mall food. She didn't used to do the voice like that. I think maybe she started doing it more when she realized she has a lot of kids watching her channel.

Wakes really aren’t a thing here, which is surprising since 90% of the local population are of Irish/Scottish extraction. But i think the bolded part hits the nail on the head. A potluck dinner with way too much food (under the assumption that the bereaved family will be too debilitated by grief to turn the stove on for two weeks I guess), and entirely too much booze (ie: the real reason they can’t operate the stove).
    Wakes are mainly about showing up before the funeral to see the bereaved and say goodbye. I included the history lesson because I'm a culture/folklore nut. But I think what kind of food shows up at these things is regional. A friend who had lived in the Midwest said it often was casseroles with meat and noodles. Around here, there's usually a baked ziti or lasagna involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone in this thread play Marvel Puzzle Quest, but after yesterday's update to the game Jubilee's face is now displayed in the middle of the app icon (in between Rogue and Nightcrawler). Looks like she's going digital!
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_bf View Post
    I unlocked Jubilee in Marvel Puzzle Quest! downloaded the game after I read that her face was on the app icon... they just started an event for her release in the game. Being a new player, they make it super tough and nearly impossible to get her by yourself (unless you buy her for like $70!!! Omg)... but I was lucky enough to join an alliance in the game of 18 players that helped me get her !
    She is pretty sweet, and is considered a 4 out of 5 star character, with great health and some pretty effective moves. This is the first time she is ‘playable’ (this is like candy crush mixed with rpg kinda,) since X-Men: Legends... but it’s a really fun game so far.
    I saw this ad online today for the first time. I’m gonna have to break down and get this game.

Amazing Member

Dammit, now here I find myself downloading it on Steam.

I downloaded it but I'm not completely clear as to how you get Jubilee. Or new characters at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammasu View Post
    I downloaded it but I'm not completely clear as to how you get Jubilee. Or new characters at all.
    According to what jubilees_bf was saying, the only way for a new player to get her is to join an alliance with other players, or fork over $70 to buy her.

Amazing Member

If that's the case, whose up for forming the Jubilation Nation alliance, lol.

I joined an alliance. Now what do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Verthril View Post
    If that's the case, whose up for forming the Jubilation Nation alliance, lol.
    I’ve created an alliance called “Jubiliance” (because “Jubilation Nation” had too many characters).

Quote Originally Posted by Lammasu View Post
    I joined an alliance. Now what do I do?
    No idea, I just started playing the game myself.

I’ve created an alliance called “Jubiliance” (because “Jubilation Nation” had too many characters).

No idea, I just started playing the game myself.
    I'll see if I can switch Alliances.

This game is kicking my butt. And I’m pretty sure you have to be three levels higher than Queen of the Solar System to get at Jubilee.

Also, is anyone else a bit depressed that the art for this game is better than anything in the comics themselves right now?

BANNED

Be Dannith.