Page 68 of 271 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 4051

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    So basically movie and television writers are doing a better job than the print guys when it comes to writing many of these characters. No wonder the MCU is so popular and the comics division hasn't been doing so hot. I guess I like the MCU better than the comics because by and large, they've treated the characters and stories well. And unlike in the comics, the MCU is not interested in shock value R rated ****. I have no desire to see Drax's private parts or Vision say "****".
    Hindsight is a great weapon in writing. The shows and movies can easily avoid many of the bad stories that have plagued comic characters for years. Also the MCU doesn't have a massive continuity which puts off newcomers.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Hindsight is a great weapon in writing. The shows and movies can easily avoid many of the bad stories that have plagued comic characters for years. Also the MCU doesn't have a massive continuity which puts off newcomers.
    That's fair and true. I think that's why the MCU is doing great. Its adapting all the GOOD stuff from the comics and getting rid of the bad **** at the same time. That's why I DO like the comics. Because when they create stories, they can be so out there, weird and creative. Stuff that you can't even imagine. But I like how the MCU grounds these tales in reality on screens (even at the expense of taking away from the novelty of the original comics). I'm thrilled that Avengers like the Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye, Captain America and Vision got great books in the past decade. And I'm disappointed that Wanda only got one series (although it was well-received). Maybe it's harder for dudes to write about chicks in a compelling way? I think if Jac Schaeffer and/or Megan McDonnell from Wandavision wrote a Wanda comic book series, it might be really great, you know? But I think they would want Vision somehow to be involved in it, so whoever is dating Wanda now would be out. And it would definitely be funny due to their comedic backgrounds. Major continuity issues would prove a difficult challenge to overcome, however. Unfortunately, I think there would be anger amongst Marvel comic book writers if television/movie writers intruded on their medium.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 05-25-2020 at 11:45 AM.

That's fair and true. I think that's why the MCU is doing great. Its adapting all the GOOD stuff from the comics and getting rid of the bad **** at the same time. That's why I DO like the comics. Because when they create stories, they can be so out there, weird and creative. Stuff that you can't even imagine. But I like how the MCU grounds these tales in reality on screens (even at the expense of taking away from the novelty of the original comics). I'm thrilled that Avengers like the Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye, Captain America and Vision got great books in the past decade. And I'm disappointed that Wanda only got one series (although it was well-received). Maybe it's harder for dudes to write about chicks in a compelling way? I think if Jac Schaeffer and/or Megan McDonnell from Wandavision wrote a Wanda comic book series, it might be really great, you know? But I think they would want Vision somehow to be involved in it, so whoever is dating Wanda now would be out. And it would definitely be funny due to their comedic backgrounds. Major continuity issues would prove a difficult challenge to overcome, however. Unfortunately, I think there would be anger amongst Marvel comic book writers if television/movie writers intruded on their medium.
    The Vision also only had one series in the past decade. Also men can write women very well, all of Wanda's best writers are guys.

As for the WandaVision writers doing a Wanda book. Bad idea. Writing a comic is quite different from writing a show/movie. Also chances are they would be heavily influenced by the MCU and try to make Wanda more like the version they know or want, and that is never agood thing.

The Vision also only had one series in the past decade. Also men can write women very well, all of Wanda's best writers are guys.

As for the WandaVision writers doing a Wanda book. Bad idea. Writing a comic is quite different from writing a show/movie. Also chances are they would be heavily influenced by the MCU and try to make Wanda more like the version they know or want, and that is never agood thing.
    All of Wanda's writers have been guys up until just recently. And it's been a mixed bag. As far as writing women goes. From the typical stuff in the 60s (like getting the vapors and the sudden sewing venture), to the stuff with her and Widow catfights in the 90s, the outfit with no underwear, then the baby hysteria. There's positive stuff too. But it wasn't really all that progressive with Wanda.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Oh, men can and often do write women very well. I was really impressed with how Whedon, Mcfeely and Markus wrote Wanda and the Black Widow over the past decade in the movies. But I'm interested in how the MCU is taking on their women characters. Jessica Gao is the head writer of She-Hulk, Megan McDonnell is writing Captain Marvel 2, Bisha K. Ali is going to be the head writer of Ms. Marvel, Jac Schaeffer wrote Black Widow, and Taika Waititi brought in Jennifer Kaytin Robinson to help write Thor: Love and Thunder for Jane Foster. Each of these lady writers have STRONG comedic backgrounds. I think Feige's team feels that in order for their female heroes and villains to be successful with general audiences, they need the touch of women writers. This almost guarantees these women will NOT be one-dimensional badass bitches and/or their worth WON'T be attached to relationships with men. And they will be funny as well as being strong and compassionate. Can you imagine Walters and Banner trading insults in their Disney+ series? That would be so awesome. Wandavision is a sort of a strange gender reversal where Vis's worth is actually attached to Wanda Maximoff (because he's mainly a supporting character) and it's unique in the MCU because it's basically a love story at its core. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that many WOMEN writers want to write Wanda either in the comics.

Having television/movie writers write comics could be problematic because of the reasons you mentioned. But from what I've read in these threads, Wanda has not been getting much traction in the comic books. However, I believe if the MCU has great ideas and concepts for Marvel characters, I have no problem having their print counterparts adopt some of them. Like you said, maybe an out-of-continuity alternate universe series might work. I don't know. I guess I just don't understand why comic book readers demand that the films be identical to the comics, while at the same time demand that the MCU have no influence on the comic books. I believe in synergy if it makes sense either way. Good stories can come from both the movies/television shows AND the comic books. If Schaeffer and McDonnell do a great job with Wanda, I would not object to reading their comic book version of her. But that's just me. Not a popular opinion here I know. It's probably a moot point because I don't think it will happen. I just would like to see Wanda being funny in the comics. I also think it would be hilarious in the television show if Vis does NOT use his powers to fight bad guys, but instead uses them to avoid Wanda's wrath because he annoyed her or something.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 05-26-2020 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    All of Wanda's writers have been guys up until just recently. And it's been a mixed bag. As far as writing women goes. From the typical stuff in the 60s (like getting the vapors and the sudden sewing venture), to the stuff with her and Widow catfights in the 90s, the outfit with no underwear, then the baby hysteria. There's positive stuff too. But it wasn't really all that progressive with Wanda.
    You could say that about any female character in comics
    Last edited by leokearon; 05-26-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Oh, men can and often do write women very well. I was really impressed with how Whedon, Mcfeely and Markus wrote Wanda and the Black Widow over the past decade in the movies. But I'm interested in how the MCU is taking on their women characters. Jessica Gao is the head writer of She-Hulk, Megan McDonnell is writing Captain Marvel 2, Bisha K. Ali is going to be the head writer of Ms. Marvel, Jac Schaeffer wrote Black Widow, and Taika Waititi brought in Jennifer Kaytin Robinson to help write Thor: Love and Thunder for Jane Foster. Each of these lady writers have STRONG comedic backgrounds. I think Feige's team feels that in order for their female heroes and villains to be successful with general audiences, they need the touch of women writers. This almost guarantees these women will NOT be one-dimensional badass bitches and/or their worth WON'T be attached to relationships with men. And they will be funny as well as being strong and compassionate. Can you imagine Walters and Banner trading insults in their Disney+ series? That would be so awesome. Wandavision is a sort of a strange gender reversal where Vis's worth is actually attached to Wanda Maximoff (because he's mainly a supporting character) and it's unique in the MCU because it's basically a love story at its core. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that many WOMEN writers want to write Wanda either in the comics.

Having television/movie writers write comics could be problematic because of the reasons you mentioned. But from what I've read in these threads, Wanda has not been getting much traction in the comic books. However, I believe if the MCU has great ideas and concepts for Marvel characters, I have no problem having their print counterparts adopt some of them. Like you said, maybe an out-of-continuity alternate universe series might work. I don't know. I guess I just don't understand why comic book readers demand that the films be identical to the comics, while at the same time demand that the MCU have no influence on the comic books. I believe in synergy if it makes sense either way. Good stories can come from both the movies/television shows AND the comic books. If Schaeffer and McDonnell do a great job with Wanda, I would not object to reading their comic book version of her. But that's just me. Not a popular opinion here I know. It's probably a moot point because I don't think it will happen. I just would like to see Wanda being funny in the comics. I also think it would be hilarious in the television show if Vis does NOT use his powers to fight bad guys, but instead uses them to avoid Wanda's wrath because he annoyed her or something.
    As mentioned all ready, at the Woman of Marvel panel back in 2014, none of Marvel's female creators at that time wanted to touch Wanda, though with her surge in popularity it would be interesting to see if that question was asked now, would the answer be different.

The think to remember that comics stealing for movies and TVs is nothing new, but it rarely works to be honest. The thing to remember is that the MCU is an alternate reality in Marvel's multiverse and as with all things from the multiverse, things then to not work as well outside their own reality, due to different rules and backstories of characters

You could say that about any female character in comics
    You sure can. But some of them already got some changes and new focus. And then there were the X-ladies in Claremont's prime that were handled far differently than women had been up to that point. Comics can be a minefield but some of it had started to be cleaned up a bit.

As mentioned all ready, at the Woman of Marvel panel back in 2014, none of Marvel's female creators at that time wanted to touch Wanda, though with her surge in popularity it would be interesting to see if that question was asked now, would the answer be different.

The think to remember that comics stealing for movies and TVs is nothing new, but it rarely works to be honest. The thing to remember is that the MCU is an alternate reality in Marvel's multiverse and as with all things from the multiverse, things then to not work as well outside their own reality, due to different rules and backstories of characters
    Of those women was Jeanine Schaeffer who had some weird hate boner for Wanda and is no longer with the company. I think most of it had to do with no one wanting the responsibility of cleaning up for Bendis. And it really would be quite the task to clean up.

I'm honestly sometimes not against comics Wanda being rebooted to movie Wanda. I love Wanda, but comics have made a huge mess out of her with all the retcons and the destruction of her character.

Of those women was Jeanine Schaeffer who had some weird hate boner for Wanda and is no longer with the company. I think most of it had to do with no one wanting the responsibility of cleaning up for Bendis. And it really would be quite the task to clean up.

I'm honestly sometimes not against comics Wanda being rebooted to movie Wanda. I love Wanda, but comics have made a huge mess out of her with all the retcons and the destruction of her character.
    This si why sometimes a reboot of Marvelwouldn't be a bad idea. Get rid of all the nonsense and bad stuff and just keep the good.

Indeed, maybe things will be different now. I can guess that a HUGE chunk of Wanda's fans now are young girls. Perhaps when a few of them become women, they would want to write her. Even Paul Bettany joked that his daughter LOVES the Scarlet Witch (despite the fact that Olsen made out with her Dad) more than Iron Man and the Vision. You make valid points about the problematic nature of going between television/film and print mediums. I totally get that. All I'm saying is that Wanda continues to be ignored by a large percentage of writers, artists and editors at Marvel for whatever reason (dislike or indifference?). Bringing in writers who clearly love writing her, like Schaeffer and McDonnell, might give her character a shot in the arm. I wouldn't even mind them writing for Black Widow and Captain Marvel in the comics. I read that Chris Hemsworth recently stated that the scripts for Thor: Love and Thunder are "extreme" and "insane". I think that's not just Waititi's work, but it's Robinson's too. And it's guaranteed the dialogue will be funny. I would LOVE that in the comic books. It's not a sexist and/or gender thing and/or feminist thing, but I would like to see Marvel Comics have women TRY their hand at writing Wanda in the future. There are certainly LOUSY female writers out there who will turn in unbelievably shitty scripts, no doubt about it. But if the MCU is leading the way by bringing quality women writers to script their female characters, I see no reason why Marvel Comics can't do the same. And if Wandavision is a success, then I'd be first in line to buy whatever Wanda comic books Schaeffer and McDonnell write. Cause you know that Wanda will not be "emo" and "angsty" in them. They'll be loaded with classic MCU-style humor.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 05-26-2020 at 11:53 AM.

I like your idea. I think the movie Wanda is the best interpretation of the character in the past THIRTY years. It's small wonder she's fabulously popular amongst moviegoers and reviled in the comic books. MCU Wanda has a very richly developed and unique story that we’ve largely gotten to see unfold on screen. She's transformed from a bitter and confused little girl into a passionate and strong young woman whose found love and friendship in her new family: the Avengers. Sure she's really powerful, but it's the personal growth Wanda's gone through that sticks out to me. I was originally dead-set against the change to her and her brother's origins, but I've since come to totally embrace it. I think having an ordinary, deceased Sokovian as her father whose memory she honors truly grounds her character. The MCU has diverged from the comics and flourished. If the comic books could adapt the MCU stuff into the comics, that would be fantastic.

Astonishing Member

I like your idea. I think the movie Wanda is the best interpretation of the character in the past THIRTY years. It's small wonder she's fabulously popular amongst moviegoers and reviled in the comic books.
    She's not "reviled" in the comics, only a loud minority of X-fans think like that they don't speak for the rest of us. Wanda's never been a particularly popular character and she became more obscure the last few years due to not given good storylines that's just the regular status quo of anyone who isn't able to hold a solo title for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    She's not "reviled" in the comics, only a loud minority of X-fans think like that they don't speak for the rest of us. Wanda's never been a particularly popular character and she became more obscure the last few years due to not given good storylines that's just the regular status quo of anyone who isn't able to hold a solo title for long.
    You're absolutely correct. I worded my sentence poorly. Thanks for the correction. I just found it weird that so many comic book readers all of a sudden had this enormous animus and hatred towards a character that back in the 90s was treated with such indifference and apathy to be quite honest. When I was reading the Avengers back then, Wanda and Vision were truly D-list heroes who you quite rightly stated were not popular at all. Fast forward to now, I was shocked by the level of intensity of the dislike towards Wanda on many of the message boards I've lurked in. It's only lately I've discovered why this is. I apologize for my wording! Perhaps Wanda's movie success will lead to a quality solo title and fix her reputation? I sure hope so.

Astonishing Member

You're absolutely correct. I worded my sentence poorly. Thanks for the correction. I just found it weird that so many comic book readers all of a sudden had this enormous animus and hatred towards a character that back in the 90s was treated with such indifference and apathy to be quite honest. When I was reading the Avengers back then, Wanda and Vision were truly D-list heroes who you quite rightly stated were not popular at all. Fast forward to now, I was shocked by the level of intensity of the dislike towards Wanda on many of the message boards I've lurked in. It's only lately I've discovered why this is. I apologize for my wording! Perhaps Wanda's movie success will lead to a quality solo title and fix her reputation? I sure hope so.
    Cool, cool. This is anecdotal but from what I've seen they're from a younger generation, picking up around Decimation rather than Onslaught. Other factors include that they side with the X-villains rather than the X-men ideologically and the Wanda from House of M was how they learnt about her, and they see the Avengers as "the establishment" who are just as bad as Orchis. It's also just forums, who are a minute portion of the fandoms it's difficult to tell what all of fandom thinks online. I definitely think Wanda being in the MCU helps her, I didn't become a fan until Heroes Return and I watched the 90's Iron Man cartoon. Hopefully it'll improve in time, I think series like Uncanny Avengers have given her more positive material in the comics to die her forward. But I've found she really needs writers to go to bat for her, without that she's stuck being obscure or getting another House of M/Darker Than Scarlet when the story calls for it. What worries me is that House of M has done permanent damage in the comics to her with the creators like Hank Pym's slap did so it'll be a constant thrown in her side whenever someone wants to write her who's influenced by those storylines.