Page 109 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 959991051061071081091101111121131191592096091109 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 75153
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Republican Group Gives Trump A Harsh Reminder Of His Biggest Coronavirus Blunder

The president’s most infamous prediction about the pandemic gets put into a harsh spotlight as the death toll approaches 100,000.

Biden Says Trump Is An ‘Absolute Fool’ For Ridiculing His Mask-Wearing

Trump retweeted a post mocking Biden for wearing a mask to prevent spreading coronavirus, with the caption: “This might help explain why Trump doesn’t like to wear a mask in public.”

Historian Slaps Donald Trump With Disastrous Grade For His Coronavirus Response

John M. Barry, author of a bestselling book on the 1918 pandemic, said the U.S. handling of this outbreak will be remembered as “incomprehensibly incoherent.”

====================

In non-coronavirus news:

Amy Cooper Knew Exactly What She Was Doing

Amy Cooper lost her dog and possibly her job. Christian Cooper, the Black man she called the cops on, could have lost his life.

Twitter Applies Fact-Check Labels To Trump Tweets For First Time

The president accused the platform of “stifling free speech” after it added a link to reports debunking his tweets about mail-in ballots leading to fraud. "WAHHHHHHHHHH! Twitter won't let me spew bullshit anymore! WAHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Wall Street Journal Board Condemns Trump’s ‘Presidential Smear’ Of Joe Scarborough

The president’s attacks on the MSNBC host are “ugly even for him,” the conservative newspaper’s editorial board wrote in a column.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Happened to me when I lived in Brentwood but the guy never made the call after I told him to do so.

He claimed I didn't live in the area (I did) and looked like someone who was on a local wanted poster and had been seen sneaking around homes.

I knew that whole area -- there were no wanted posters posted there nor did I sneak around homes.

This isn't "news" -- it's just another day in America caught on camera.

-----
    "Marvel Comics' Christian Cooper In Central Park Racial Confrontation"

"Christian Cooper is a writer, and editor based in New York City. He has worked for Marvel Comics as a writer and an editor, writing Marvel comics Presents Stories, the Darkhold series for over a year, a run on Excalibur and edited a number of X-Men collections. In Star Trek fandom he is also notable for writing the Star Trek: Starfleet Academy comic for a few years, co-creating the first openly gay Star Trek character, Yoshi Mishima. Cooper is currently a senior biomedical editor at Health Science Communications, But he is in the news for very different reasons.

He was also president of the Harvard Ornithological Club in the 1980s and remains an avid bird-watcher. Yesterday, he was birdwatching in Central Park with his sister, Melody Cooper, writer of the Omni comic from Humanoids. Christian Cooper asked a woman to leash her dog in an area of the park, where pets must be kept under control. He also filmed the encounter.

On the video, the woman, identified as Amy Cooper (no relation), a VP at Franklin Templeton Investments (FTI), refused, tells Christian to stop filming her and her dog and threatens that she will call the police to tell them that an African-American is threatening her. She then proceeds to do just that when Christian does not stop filming. He is, indeed, black.

Christian kept filming, stopping when Amy leashed her dog, and said 'thank you'.

In the aftermath of the incident going viral on social media, Amy Cooper voluntarily surrendered the dog to a shelter, and was put on administrative leave by FTI.

In a statement to NBC New York, Amy Cooper said, "I sincerely and humbly apologize to everyone, especially to that man, his family. It was unacceptable and I humbly and fully apologize to everyone who's seen that video, everyone that's been offended… everyone who thinks of me in a lower light and I understand why they do."

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...confrontation/
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-27-2020 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Are British people genuinely surprised that a Tory thinks himself above everyone else?
    I wouldn't be surprised if anybody of what-ever political persuasion had that particular fault. I think genuinely humble people are as rare as rocking horse droppings...

But what does surprise me is that Boris is willing to burn through mountains of goodwill to protect one guy who is patently in the wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    We also don't know what the economy will be like in five months.
    But we do know what unemployment will look like in five months: NOT GOOD. Like, "Worst level since the Great Depression" levels.

Job loss from Covid-19 is showing that somewhere around 20-25% of people reported their job loss due to the pandemic was not temporary, but permanent. Economic experts are saying the real number is looking probably like 40% of them.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Tara Reade now appearing in Club for Growth commericals asking other 'Biden Victims' to step forward.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/26/ad-urg...site%20buttons

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if anybody of what-ever political persuasion had that particular fault. I think genuinely humble people are as rare as rocking horse droppings...

But what does surprise me is that Boris is willing to burn through mountains of goodwill to protect one guy who is patently in the wrong.
    Theres ALOT of conspiracy theories going around right now. Most of them are either "Boris cant run the government on his own and needs Cummings" , "Cummings is the shadow behind the throne" or "Cummings has dirt on alot of MPs" and unless they drip him its only going to get worse. They desperately keep trying to "Move on" but it's such a fundamental issue

Astonishing Member

Ilhan Omar revealed her political role model to be - Margaret Thatcher?

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/24/86155...ssive-policies

On why the conservative former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher is a political role model

It's interesting, right? Oftentimes, we're told who our heroes can be. And for me, I find it to be inspirational for a woman, when there were really no other women around who were leading, to say, "I can do this." And I think as I think about my own journey, dealing with the ideas that many within my own community had about, "a boy should be the first." I needed to have sort of an inspiration, and obviously, she's left a very dark mark in history. But we can't take away how inspirationally bold she was to believe that she can lead as a woman in her time.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Tara Reade now appearing in Club for Growth commericals asking other 'Biden Victims' to step forward.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/26/ad-urg...site%20buttons
    She's not going to let that go, is she? So, what happens when no one takes Reade up on her offer because there aren't any victims? Man, talk about sad.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

On this date in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, as well as 2019, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day posted profiles of the current U.S. House Representative for Michigan’s’ 3rd District, Justin Amash, who believe it or not, both Democrats and Republicans agree, is one of the most unflinching ***holes in Washington, D.C. Amash is a disciple of the Ron Paul Libertarian school of Republican thought, and occasionally votes against GOP supported measures because in his mind, they are not conservative ENOUGH. He was actually branded a "Whacko Bird" along with Sen. Ted Cruz by Sen. John McCain, and has continued his rivalry with the former standard bearer of the GOP. He has had pundits on Sunday morning shows laugh in his face for saying things like the GOP would be doing the Obama administration a favor by delaying implementation of the Affordable Care Act, and has outright lied about even the basics of what that legislation does (he said pre-existing conditions were covered prior to its passage). He's into the libertarian ideal of smaller government so much that he is against all forms of hate crime legislation, advocated that the entire Department of Education should be dismantled, voted against disaster relief for victims of Hurricane Sandy, voted against the creation of a national suicide prevention hotline, and even voted against the 2014 version of the Farm Bill, considered to be one of the biggest legislative "no brainers" Congress ever votes on. But his "hands off" approach to government sure doesn't apply to abortion, because Amash has stated he believes that abortion should be outlawed 3, yes THREE days after conception (when most women don't even know they're pregnant, and longer than some states' waiting periods for abortion). Justin Amash remains an unpredictable, petulant bastard, but he does remain bluntly honest about that fact. Case in point, he's not pulling punches about the possibility of Donald Trump being impeached when asked about it by the media. The social media director for the Trump White House, Dan Scavino, responded by calling Amash "a great liability". By July of 2019, Amash had announced he was leaving the Republican Party, and in May of 2020, announced he would be seeking the Libertarian Party’s nomination for president. He then backed out of that plan within a fortnight. He is still an unfliching ***hole, however, and is currently questioning the expertise of scientists during the Covid-19 pandemic. As he is technically not a Republican any more, we’ll set aside his profile at this time and take a look at another kooky Republican today instead. (Current crazy/stupid scoreboard, is now 874-45, since this was established in July 2014.)

Mike Detmer

Welcome to what is the 874th original profile here at “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day”, where we’ll be discussing Mike Detmer, a 2020 candidate for Michigan’s 8th Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives, one of five Republicans in the GOP Primary for that seat vying for the right to take on Congresswoman Elissa Slotkin in November. While we have concerns that Detmer, a former mortgage banker, has hung out with Michigan’s “guns rights activists” where they’ve openly talked about creating a “Second Amendment sanctuary”, as if guns in the United States were an endangered species…

We’re more concerned about how Mike Detmer has been hanging out with the Proud Boys, and is so comfortable with this group of white nationalists and domestic terrorists that he took a selfie with them. When called out for goofing around with a hate group, Detmer went on to compliment the organization, and pretend as if they weren’t a group of neo-fascists committing violence across the country, writing that the group "is about protecting our freedoms." Detmer than listed the tenets of the Proud Boys, which include defending the First and Second amendments… but missed the parts where they promote Western chauvinism, closing U.S. borders to immigrants, anti-racial guil" and "venerating the housewife."

Detmer then gave an interview where he claimed that the Proud Boys have been wrongly labeled as a racist hate group. He posted their tenets "to provide facts, so people could put this group into context":

We have little to no knowledge of the other four candidates in the GOP Primary for Michigan’s 8th, but we’d like to think that any of them are better than a piece of garbage like Mike Detmer.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    She's not going to let that go, is she? So, what happens when no one takes Reade up on her offer because there aren't any victims? Man, talk about sad.
    They're hoping to fabricate some for $$ that can't really be easily falsified. Someone else stepping forward is the *only* thing that will salvage her story.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Theres ALOT of conspiracy theories going around right now. Most of them are either "Boris cant run the government on his own and needs Cummings" , "Cummings is the shadow behind the throne" or "Cummings has dirt on alot of MPs" and unless they drip him its only going to get worse. They desperately keep trying to "Move on" but it's such a fundamental issue
    My eldest sister is firmly in the camp that Dominic knows “where the bodies are buried”. And I guess that is more likely than Dominic C being an indispensable genius....

For me, not for the first time in my life I am just completely baffled.

For a couple of guys (Boris and Dominic) who are professional politicians their behaviour just strikes me as profoundly stupid. Once it became apparent a week ago that a couple of newspapers weren’t going to let matter drop, they should have realised it was best to fess up.

If Dominic had just said he was sorry that while he was sick and worried about his kid he had broken lockdown rules..that he was profoundly sorry..and resigned...he could have been back in his job in a couple of months time...with much less damage done. In fact I think people would have liked and respected him more.

Trump threatens to crack down on social media platforms after Twitter labels his tweets

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump on Wednesday threatened to "strongly regulate" or even shut down social media platforms after Twitter applied a fact-check to two of his tweets this week.

Trump did not elaborate on what actions he could take. But the threat is Trump's clearest expression of intent to use the power of government to target his perceived political enemies in the private sector -- businesses that already enjoy wide latitude under the law to moderate their platforms as they see fit. And it raises the stakes for Twitter and Facebook as they grapple with Trump's misleading claims about mail-in voting and his baseless insinuations that a cable TV news host had a hand in an aide's death decades ago.

"Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen," Trump tweeted Wednesday. He went on to accuse the tech industry of trying to interfere in the 2016 election, before repeating an unfounded claim about voter fraud stemming from mail-in ballots.

"We can't let large scale Mail-In Ballots take root in our Country," Trump tweeted. "It would be a free for all on cheating, forgery and the theft of Ballots. Whoever cheated the most would win. Likewise, Social Media. Clean up your act, NOW!!!!"

Facebook and Twitter didn't immediately respond to requests for comment Wednesday.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ultimate Member

God damn, basic decency from a Republican?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Ilhan Omar revealed her political role model to be - Margaret Thatcher?

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/24/86155...ssive-policies
    Eh its no big deal because the context makes sense. Shesca role model because she was the first women in a mans world not because she likes her awful policies