Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Early review of the issue

https://www.comiccrusaders.com/advan...an-82-lgy-883/

Not excited, nothing wrong w/ horror but this reunion should be a massive heartfelt thing and looks like it will just get sweeped under.Here's hoping I'm wrong

Same, I can respect it but Gomez for me

Lovely. Not one mention of Ben. Glad we are checking in with the daughters of the dragon though. Like damn, I pick up this book every week hoping to be kept up to date with those two. Gosh I hope there is some whacky beyond experiment happening in the background. Those gags sure make the book.

My heavy sigh would register on Cerebro as an omega level awakening

Astonishing Member

spoilers:

I read the issue.
    No Ben and it’s really unconnected to the overall Beyond event aside from Peter being in the hospital. It doesn’t even really read like a Spider-Man comic to be honest… but I liked it. It’s very horror-themed and I’m trying to think of the last time I read an issue like this. Maybe ‘The Mad Dog Ward’ storyline when Peter got involuntarily committed to an insane asylum that also was messing with its patients. I guess that’s the only similar story I can think of. The simplistic art works for this story too. The issue is a bit decompressed, so it’s a VERY quick read and I feel like there’s a couple weird plot-holes that are a bit too convenient (like how MJ hurts the monster). It’s also a bit of a silly comic coincidence that the hospital ward Peter is staying at just happens to be a murder ward. Maybe I have to reread it, but the impression I get is this hospital monster has nothing to do with Beyond. Also the epilogue with the Daughters of the Dragon and the Lizard appearing kinda confirms my suspicions that Beyond is pretty much just serving as a vehicle to tie-in many of the cinematic characters appearing now or later (Morbius and Kraven both have Sony films coming out, Lizard, Electro, Doc Ock are all in NWH, Goblin Queen is a Green Goblin derivative character, Ben is even a SECOND Spider-Man if you want to make that comparison…). Also isn’t Colleen supposed to be at least part Asian? Definitely looks totally Caucasian there…

Besides those nitpicks, I enjoyed it though. 8.5/10. Now if only Ben could get a similarly strong and fun issue.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

This issue is the definition of mediocre.And it reads very fast.This should be a backup w/ an actual issue.The reunion had no heart either

spoilers:
    interesting issue like Hypno said not sure if the threat Peter experience is even associated with Beyond. guess the cover was wrong. Peter is still weak so I am unsure how long it will take him to recover but I'm not expecting a fast recovery too so I guess I'm fine. lizard is back that should be the half that was spilt permanently from Conners lets see if the writers can remember that. overall an ok issue but as a whole arc fills very unfilling
    end of spoilers
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

When viewed on its own, this was a pretty cool issue. The art was fun, the concept was kinda fun. It was pretty by the numbers though.

As a part of the Beyond story it's really frustrating. Too much storytelling real estate is dolled out to pet characters and Beyond Corp BS to spend an entire issue on what amounts to: Peter being wheeled to the basement and back.

I guess this is what happens when you throw a seemingly random assortment of people who all mostly seem to have no real interest in either Spider-Man together on a rushed cash grab fill in arc, whose issue count has been inflated to lift money out of the wallets for suckers like me who are finally getting a Ben Reilly comic they can stomach.

Beyond's first two issues had so much promise but that set up has all been flushed for these half-assed "villains that might be in a movie this decade" crud. Hypno is totally right about that and I would not even be slightly surprised to see Beyond Corp show up in a bad Disney+ show.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

This issue is insanely good.

Really impressed with BEYOND!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    This issue is insanely good.

Really impressed with BEYOND!
    Haha I like your enthusiasm, even if I disagree!

The best I can say about this event is it hasn’t damaged Ben as a character (well… made him a bit more incompetent than he should be, but that’s much better than being evil). I liked this issue, but as an overall event I have to side with MisterC (especially his complaint about ‘pet characters’ and the overall plot going nowhere). That said, I am looking forward to next issue’s Dr Octopus clash. Hope springs eternal!

BANNED

I also wanna throw out there that I would only consider the Morbius Beyond 2-Parter bad. Despite my negativity Everything else, outside the first two issues (coincidentally the two issues where the focus was on Peter and Ben) fine at best. And that's, naturally, fine. But there's no excitement. No memorable moments. And as a fan of Ben, not much to celebrate aside from as Hypno said, they aren't actively making him bad. But they also certainly are not adding to his character or truly any character that's been featured in Beyond.

And maybe that's the point, but that's not something I wanna pay $3.99 3x a month for

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    spoilers:

I read the issue.
    No Ben and it’s really unconnected to the overall Beyond event aside from Peter being in the hospital. It doesn’t even really read like a Spider-Man comic to be honest… but I liked it. It’s very horror-themed and I’m trying to think of the last time I read an issue like this. Maybe ‘The Mad Dog Ward’ storyline when Peter got involuntarily committed to an insane asylum that also was messing with its patients. I guess that’s the only similar story I can think of. The simplistic art works for this story too. The issue is a bit decompressed, so it’s a VERY quick read and I feel like there’s a couple weird plot-holes that are a bit too convenient (like how MJ hurts the monster). It’s also a bit of a silly comic coincidence that the hospital ward Peter is staying at just happens to be a murder ward. Maybe I have to reread it, but the impression I get is this hospital monster has nothing to do with Beyond. Also the epilogue with the Daughters of the Dragon and the Lizard appearing kinda confirms my suspicions that Beyond is pretty much just serving as a vehicle to tie-in many of the cinematic characters appearing now or later (Morbius and Kraven both have Sony films coming out, Lizard, Electro, Doc Ock are all in NWH, Goblin Queen is a Green Goblin derivative character, Ben is even a SECOND Spider-Man if you want to make that comparison…). Also isn’t Colleen supposed to be at least part Asian? Definitely looks totally Caucasian there…

Besides those nitpicks, I enjoyed it though. 8.5/10. Now if only Ben could get a similarly strong and fun issue.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    To be fair, bizarre coincidences are what make super-heroes work to begin with, too many characters just happen to be around when a crime is going on and whatnot, so that's nothing new.

Also man, the idea here is cool but... Meh, everything felt like it was happening too fast, and while this is definitely a story that is better being a single issue, it ended too fast... Also why didn't MJ just use a flashlight in her cellphone? Using a camera's flash is kinda dumb.
    end of spoilers

Oh well, was whatever, as was the entirety of Beyond up until this point, I get the feeling I'm being punished for missing every single bad Spidey thing as they were happening (Or comic books in general), and now I have to put up with this... Oh well, could've been worse I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Strange chapter. Nice to see Peter and MJ, especially MJ doing something more than looking through the window but... I think it was a little waste of time. Story like this fits more into .BEY. Not good, not bad.

Gimme more of mah boi Ben doing amazing and sensational Spider-Man stuff, it's his five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Strange chapter. Nice to see Peter and MJ, especially MJ doing something more than looking through the window but... I think it was a little waste of time. Story like this fits more into .BEY. Not good, not bad.

Gimme more of mah boi Ben doing amazing and sensational Spider-Man stuff, it's his five minutes.
    Marvel:

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then