Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The good kind of noise SpiderOrange's Avatar

Default How to do a Flash movie right?

Hey All,
    I didn't see a thread for this anywhere. If one exists, I apologize.

The Arrowverse and Grant Gustin have made me love the character of the Flash. I'm going through all tradebacks and really catching up on the mythos which I find incredible! I love all of it, and by God, Reverse-Flash might be the best thing I've ever run across in terms of villains.

A recent interview just posted that Grant shouldn't be in the movie verse version of the Flash because essentially he's too lighthearted and the DC movie verse needs to be a bit darker. But from what I've read, Barry has never been a dark character and especially moreso, Wally.

So a question I have is, in light of the movies like Man of Steel, BvS, and in light of shows like Supergirl, Flash and Arrow, how would you write the Flash movie? What themes would you like to have? How dark would you make the movie? I think part of the reason I'm posting this (my first post in months) is that I love the Flash series so much and an honest fear I have is that we'd go into the theatre, see a movie, then come away disappointed wishing the movie resembled the current television show. SO... how would you prevent that?
    "This. Right here. This is where my life officially jumped the shark." Miles Morales
    "No, that was back on Cowboy world", Ultimate Cartoon Spidey
    ASM Vol 3, #12

They won't reboot, so using what they've established:

My delusional hope for these movies is that Ezra Miller who is so obviously wrong as Barry, wrong age, wrong tone, wrong energy, but he seems so great for the impulsive Bart!
    That his function is a huge secret curveball, who although he's being called "Barry" it's just being used as short for his real name Bartholomew.
    Who comes from a horrible apocalyptic future (see Batman's dream with Parademons) where the JL was never formed (where his grandfather tells him) , to stave off events they've unleashed if Bat and Super couldn't work it out, he most go back in time and insure the JL is formed. (hence Dawn of Justice)
    To do that he must use himself as a trigger to set off the lightning get Barry in the right place and time (symbolically becoming the lightning) that actually hits scientist Barry Allen, and pass the "lightning" to his own everyman ancestor who guided him to the past in infinite time loop.

The world was sent spiraling toward an apocalypse, because of the dawn of Superheroes, there was one thing lacking - an everyman amongst them - Barry Allen ....who was fittingly late!

That takes care of his origin, and sets up his legacy.
    The spinoff Flash specific movie would then focus on forensic scientist Barry Allen vs the Rogues.
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-22-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I would actually make the movie everything that the show isn't. I enjoy the show, but there's a stark contrast to many elements.

First off, I wouldn't include the dead mom thing. That's probably going to be in there, but I think it insults the Flash legacy because he's supposed to be an everyman who becomes a hero due to his own sense of justice, not a Batman-like tragedy. Everyone's heard me harp on about that enough so I'll leave it there.

I'd include a lot more police scientist work in there. Barry knows a lot about chemistry and should use that. He's not quite a detective, but as a scientist he should be able to solve problems creatively with a basic knowledge of physics as well.

I'd also go heavy into his altered perception. Not only does that make for amazing camera effects, but I'd show him thinking through things step by step as the world around him crawls to a near halt. Something similar to the way they showed Sherlock Holmes noticing clues and planning methods of attack, except more internal. Maybe when he's running too.

I'd also include a more classic relationship with Iris and Wally. Having Wally there even just as a young non-powered nephew who looks up to the Flash and doesn't relate to his parents all that much would add a great dynamic to his character and heroism.

As for the villain, not sure. I'd hesitate to use the Reverse Flash (even though I love him), because he's a complicated villain, kind of hard to sell, a bit generic at first glance, and the people have seen that already. I'd much rather see a movie about the Rogues portrayed right. None of this cliche pun-ridden crap where they have personalities that match their powers. A well-organized, lethal, code-of-honor-holding dysfunctional family just trying to stay under the radar, like Johns wrote them. Captain Cold, Heatwave, Captain Boomerang (SS already has him), Mirror Master, Weather Wizard, maybe the Trickster or the Top or Piper. Working together they're a credible threat and have a great dynamic on their own. Just think of the cool scenes with mirror master that modern cinematics could deliver.

Hunter Zolomon wouldn't be bad either, though I'd feel bad taking him away from Wally. But him being featured at any point would be cool. Him wanting to cause the Flash tragedy to make him a better hero is a pretty unique motive, and his power set of moving through the time stream is a nice quirk.

BANNED

1st ever sidekick superhero movie! Barry's been the Flash for a while when the movie starts. Then Wally West shows up, becomes Kid Flash, and Barry has to train his new sidekick while dealing with whatever villains they use. In the sequel, Barry dies a heroic death in the films climax, and the film ends with Wally taking on the Flash mantle. The 3rd film is all his.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    My delusional hope for these movies is that Ezra Miller who is so obviously wrong as Barry, wrong age, wrong tone, wrong energy, but he seems so great for the impulsive Bart!
    That his function is a huge secret curveball, who although he's being called "Barry" it's just being used as short for his real name Bartholomew.
    Who comes from a horrible apocalyptic future (see Batman's dream with Parademons) where the JL was never formed (where his grandfather tells him) , to stave off events they've unleashed if Bat and Super couldn't work it out, he most go back in time and insure the JL is formed. (hence Dawn of Justice)
    To do that he must use himself as a trigger to set off the lightning get Barry in the right place and time (symbolically becoming the lightning) that actually hit's scientist Barry Allen, and pass the "lightning" to his own everyman ancestor who guided him to the past in infinite time loop.

The world was sent spiraling toward an apocalypse, because of the dawn of Superheroes, there was one thing lacking - an everyman amongst them - Barry Allen ....who was fittingly late!
    I'd be just fine with this, sounds awesome. Bart is perfect for the time travel prevention story and his concept art costume looks a lot like Bart.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    1st ever sidekick superhero movie! Barry's been the Flash for a while when the movie starts. Then Wally West shows up, becomes Kid Flash, and Barry has to train his new sidekick while dealing with whatever villains they use. In the sequel, Barry dies a heroic death in the films climax, and the film ends with Wally taking on the Flash mantle. The 3rd film is all his.
    Would love to see that transition. Parallax causing the crisis could would be interesting, not sure if it would piss off too many Hal fans though.

1st ever sidekick superhero movie! .
    I know we're trying to forget, but Batman Forever and Batman & Robin say hi!

Then Wally West shows up, becomes Kid Flash, and Barry has to train his new sidekick while dealing with whatever villains they use. In the sequel, Barry dies a heroic death in the films climax, and the film ends with Wally taking on the Flash mantle.
    As far as movies focusing on passing the legacy; Mask of Zorro, Ant-Man.
    Which are actually great templates for how to do it.

I'm curious how would you have Wally get the powers?
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-22-2016 at 03:32 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    I know we're trying to forget, but Batman Forever and Batman & Robin say hi!

As far as movies focusing on passing the legacy; Mask of Zorro, Ant-Man.
    Which are actually great templates for how to do it.

I'm curious how would you have Wally get the powers?
    1. Yes, I am trying to forget.
    2. I don't know if there will be a speed-force in the DCEU, so I can't say for sure. If they used the classic lightning+chemicals origin for either Barry or Wally, I'd definitely respect the filmmakers for not shying away from the source material, but I doubt it will happen.

Amazing Member

Personally, I'd get rid of the dead mom origin too. We need more example of heroes who do it because it's the right thing to do and not because of some tragedy that happened in their youth. But considering the tone Snyder is trying to give to the movies, it's highly unlikely.

The everyday man aspect of the character needs to be emphasized as well. He is not a billionaire, he is not an alien, he is not a stranger to this world, he is just a regular guy with a regular job, a regular family and regular problems.

Speaking of family, Barry and Iris should already be a couple, or they should get together pretty early on. I'm kind of tired of the love interest being the reward, the whole "hero gets the girl in the end" thing. I want Iris to play a big part in the story, maybe as a moral support. Wally should be there too. The way I see it, he is introduced in his early teens in the first movie and quickly becomes the Flash's biggest fan (mirroring his comics origins), and I wouldn't mind if he also looked up to Barry (and not just the Flash), that would create a sweet dynamic. By the second movie, Wally would be old enough to become Kid Flash and move on to become the Flash in the third.

As for the villain, I don't want the Reverse Flash. I like the character, but I don't want him in the movie (at least not yet) for several reasons. First, it has already been done on the show (twice if you count Zoom). Second, heroes in superhero movies always seem to be paired against their evil counterpart and we need more diversity on that front. Like Bogotazo, I'd really like to see a good depiction of the Rogues, one that does them justice, where they are a real threat to the hero. I also think Mirror Master could be a good fit, even on his own, especially if they still want a dark tone in their movies. I've always thought the character had the potential to be super scary if he wanted to (think Bloody Mary).

For a Flash movie, for it to be a BIG hit and to get people (all over the world) excited to see it, I think one big KEY element, is that it really has to have visionary and really creative special effects. The audience has to be blown away by what the Flash's powers look like with a huge budget and blown away by the ideas of what he can do with them. (like the modern equivalent of how people were blown away by how badass T2 looked and how incredible "The Matrix" was at the time when people first saw it)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 03-23-2016 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    For a Flash movie, for it to be a BIG hit and to get people (all over the world) excited to see it, I think one big KEY element, is that it really has to have visionary and really creative special effects. The audience has to be blown away by what the Flash's powers look like with a huge budget and blown away by the ideas of what he can do with them. (like the modern equivalent of how people were blown away by how badass T2 looked and how incredible "The Matrix" was at the time when people first saw it)
    Totally agree, I'd really want it to have that kind of "Matrix" effect where people didn't think such a shot was possible. I'm thinking like continuous 360 shots in slow motion, jarring acceleration and deceleration of the visible surrounding environment, after-image effects during insane high-speed fights with other speedsters, and a super trippy speed force.

Simple...make it Spider-man-like. The Flash is basically the Spider-man of the DC universe. He plays an important part when it come to multiverses and time travel. Have FUN. Make it like a Edgar Wright movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Totally agree, I'd really want it to have that kind of "Matrix" effect where people didn't think such a shot was possible. I'm thinking like continuous 360 shots in slow motion, jarring acceleration and deceleration of the visible surrounding environment, after-image effects during insane high-speed fights with other speedsters, and a super trippy speed force.
    I'd say the Quicksilver scene in DoFP gave us a taste of what this movie could be. Imagine the creativity of that 1 minute shot extended over 2 hours! Then again, based on what I've heard about BvS, I don't have a lot of hope for any good DC films anytime soon.

BANNED

Are you trying to piss off Barry Allen fans?

Ezra looks nothing like Barry. Total miscast.