Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    I remember Gwen Paltrow really had some negative remarks about Affleck after they stopped dating in the late 90's about how much of a misogynist he was. Also, apparently Affleck's best bud, Matt Damon, helped cover up Weinstein's behavior when the NYT were about to release an story exposing him. Damon helped kill the story. All this makes Affleck, at the very least, look like a giant liar in the face of the statement he put out yesterday, and at worst, another predator to add to the list.

Not. Good. At. All.
    That's horrible news. So sad right now. Wish I hadn't read that.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Yea, there’s so many celebrities with checkered pasts, etc.
    Affleck would be one among many who are out there.
    Very disappointing, but I’m not sure we should treat this too seriously right at this moment. We’ll see what happens, but if JL ends up getting hit because of this, that’s upsetting on many levels.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    Yea, there’s so many celebrities with checkered pasts, etc.
    Affleck would be one among many who are out there.
    Very disappointing, but I’m not sure we should treat this too seriously right at this moment. We’ll see what happens, but if JL ends up getting hit because of this, that’s upsetting on many levels.
    Agree. The actual accusation being levied against Affleck is that he groped an MTV VJ back in 2003. The footage was just released since it occurred live on air. Honestly, while he was a douche for doing that, and it clearly made her feel violated so it's a freaking problem, it's not in the same universe as the Weinstein allegations. If this is the only accuser that comes out against Affleck, my professional opinion (I'm a communications/PR consultant) is that this could blow over with the majority of coverage focusing on Weinstein.

Affleck should apologize to the woman he groped and apologize with zero caveats. No, "I was young and stupid" or "I now realize what I did was wrong." It needs to be a sincere, "Let me tell you how much it bothers me that I did this and what I truly stand for as a 48 year old man and let me make it up to you and others who have suffered in the following ways..." He should also get in touch with the woman through a third party (in case she's uneasy with him going directly to her) and try to make his apology known personally.

Agree. The actual accusation being levied against Affleck is that he groped an MTV VJ back in 2003. The footage was just released since it occurred live on air. Honestly, while he was a douche for doing that, and it clearly made her feel violated so it's a freaking problem, it's not in the same universe as the Weinstein allegations. If this is the only accuser that comes out against Affleck, my professional opinion (I'm a communications/PR consultant) is that this could blow over with the majority of coverage focusing on Weinstein.

Affleck should apologize to the woman he groped and apologize with zero caveats. No, "I was young and stupid" or "I now realize what I did was wrong." It needs to be a sincere, "Let me tell you how much it bothers me that I did this and what I truly stand for as a 48 year old man and let me make it up to you and others who have suffered in the following ways..." He should also get in touch with the woman through a third party (in case she's uneasy with him going directly to her) and try to make his apology known personally.
    The weird DCEU link is the woman he groped is Hilarie Burton the wife of Jeffery Dean Morgan DCEU's Thomas Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The weird DCEU link is the woman he groped is Hilarie Burton the wife of Jeffery Dean Morgan DCEU's Thomas Wayne.
    Wow. Crazy link.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Well, he was quick to apologize, at any rate. https://twitter.com/BenAffleck/statu...26autosize%3D1

Not sure how much weight an apology tweet holds, but it's a start.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post

http://www.cbr.com/shazam-film-casti...FB-P&view=list

So according to this casting call we are going to get Eugene, Pedro and Darla in the Shazam movie!! That's pretty awesome! Freddy was also confirmed as well. Only Mary is missing.
    Well, the wider adoptive family is one Johns element that seems to be making it in.

I wonder if they'll use the adoptive parents or use Uncle Dudley?

And yeah, if we're getting everybody else then they've got to have Mary in there. It's not the Marvel Family without her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Man, that just makes all the mom/Martha stuff seem even weirder...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Well, he was quick to apologize, at any rate. https://twitter.com/BenAffleck/statu...26autosize%3D1

Not sure how much weight an apology tweet holds, but it's a start.
    The only person who can claim that its a start is the person who he offended. And if he is only apologizing 14 years later because he got called out, I don't think it weighs that much. I honestly don't get why it is so difficult for a man, and even a woman (in some cases) to keep their hands to themselves. It takes narcissism and privilege for a person to do something like this.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dianafan1985 View Post
    The only person who can claim that its a start is the person who he offended. And if he is only apologizing 14 years later because he got called out, I don't think it weighs that much. I honestly don't get why it is so difficult for a man, and even a woman (in some cases) to keep their hands to themselves. It takes narcissism and privilege for a person to do something like this.
    Yeah, the fact that he took no action at all until this started to create problems for him doesn't cast him in a very good light.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Yeah, the fact that he took no action at all until this started to create problems for him doesn't cast him in a very good light.
    Well, if he was a stand-up guy he wouldn't have done it in the first place.

These people never apologize for the crap they've done until it goes public and it starts to get them bad PR. It's not the damage to other people they're sorry for, its getting caught. Far as Im concerned these apologies are worthless, they're not sincere on any level and might as well not be made at all. Who cares if they apologize twenty years later after the offending act has gone public?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Ugh, haven't been able to comment on this until now, but man is this seriously disappointing. I liked Affleck a lot, both as the character and even as a celeb, but I feel no sympathy as far as all of this goes if it all turns out to be true. Fat load of good the apology does this long after the fact, and only prompted when he gets caught.

The only thing I kind of feel bad for him for in the regard isn't even really him, but his kids.

The Batman with Affleck most likely isn't happening now, and before I wouldn't have said this, but I can't really say I'm sad to see him go.

If WB didn't have enough reason to recast Batman at this point, they probably do now.

Astonishing Member

I remember Gwen Paltrow really had some negative remarks about Affleck after they stopped dating in the late 90's about how much of a misogynist he was. Also, apparently Affleck's best bud, Matt Damon, helped cover up Weinstein's behavior when the NYT were about to release an story exposing him. Damon helped kill the story. All this makes Affleck, at the very least, look like a giant liar in the face of the statement he put out yesterday, and at worst, another predator to add to the list.

Not. Good. At. All.
    What has affleck’s best Bud got to do with him?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The oddly specific side effects of this Flashpoint will include Bruce de-aging by a decade or so and looking like a completely different person, whereas everything else will go back normal.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    What has affleck’s best Bud got to do with him?
    Their connection to Weinstein is famously linked to Good Will Hunting. Weinstein helped launch them both, and they were both very close with him.