Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

never mind.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-14-2020 at 12:27 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Superman is an alien with godlike powers, dude.
    That is true. He does have god like powers and he is an alien. But, there is no rule that says an alien can't be more understandable than a rich boy. If you ask me i have no clue how billionaires live. Bruce is as much an alien. Clark atleast pretend and tries to be one of us. He fails but i give an A for effort.

Retired

In THE GREAT COMIC BOOK HEROES, Jules Feiffer says something to the effect that kids like him knew they couldn't be Superman--an alien--and they couldn't be Batman--too much work--but they could be Captain Marvel--they just had to figure out the right magic word to transform them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That is true. He does have god like powers and he is an alien. But, there is no rule that says an alien can't be more understandable than a rich boy. If you ask me i have no clue how billionaires live. Bruce is as much an alien. Clark atleast pretend and tries to be one of us. He fails but i give an A for effort.
    Oh yeah, of course. It's obvious that Clark is the more relatable in terms of personality between him and Bruce. But Bruce is then relatable in his own sense because he's still human. Clark is the god who views himself as and wishes to be human. Bruce is the human who tries (and fails) to be a god.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-14-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Oh yeah, of course. It's obvious that Clark is the more relatable in terms of personality between him and Bruce. But Bruce is then relatable in his own sense because he's still human. Clark is the godlike being who tries and wishes to be human. Bruce is the human who tries and fails to be a perfect god.
    Clark is only unrelatable for me when the writers give him a messiah complex, interms of personality . When they have him give sermons without depth and have him try to be an example without ever understanding moral weakness or any other for that matter.

I don't think clark really wishes to be human. He just fears rejection and wants acceptance. That's it. Otherwise, he wouldn't be dreaming of Krypton. On krypton, he would be normal. On earth he isn't. He is like harry potter in that regards. Harry feared being wizard at first too due to this
    "I..I can't be a wizard".
    Unlike harry who found a place in wizarding world and friends. Clark just can't fit in. But, that itself is pretty understandable for readers. People are always trying to find a way to fit in and be productive to the society.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-14-2020 at 12:47 PM.

And I'm telling you, so is Batman. You may not like that fact but its a fact. Go anywhere in the world and show people the Bat-symbol and they will automatically say, Batman. Batman is easily as well known as Superman
    Unless the rankings have changed recently, Bruce is (deservedly) on the list. A global icon yes, but not as well known as Clark.

So I'm pretty sure you're both right; Bats is a global icon but isn't as well known as Superman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

From CBR:

So, yeah...

And what exactly is Bruce known for? Immersing himself and training extensively training in all forms of martial arts. He's trained in ninjutsu. That's part of his character description. And yes, Superman has had to be adapted before. Many times. The reason that these characters have been around for so long is because of their adaptability.

Well, the manga is from the 60s when the Adam West Batman series was at the height of its popularity. And there's no evidence that a Superman or Wonder Woman manga would have done any better. Although, again, it would have been great to see them.

And I'm telling you, so is Batman. You may not like that fact but its a fact. Go anywhere in the world and show people the Bat-symbol and they will automatically say, Batman. Batman is easily as well known as Superman and considered a character of mythological proportions. How many fictional characters are now given origins akin to Batman's? Countless. They are the two icons of the superhero genre. Again, I'm sorry you don't like that fact, but its a fact.
    What i meant was i didn't read your reply regarding rogersmith.That's still only two examples. 80 years and two examples. Not good enough.

As said, he can immerse himself all he wants. Ninja are born into that setting. Have you watched fullmetal alchemist? Ninjas are like wrath homunculi. They are bread warriors, that kill themselves for mission. Bruce wayne is no ninja. Ninja's are tought to see emotions as weakness. Bruce is an emo. He is a pretend ninja. Deathstroke or his son damian might fit the bill.It's like this anyone can be a yoga practitioner. But, there those that started before the bones set that can do amazing things and have greater levels of flexibility.Superman doesn't need to be changed is what i am saying. Character can be largely stay the same and be accepted by any culture . Strongmen remains the same whereever. His archetype is universal. Krishna, moses, jesus, hercules, samson.. Etc in any culture there is equivalent for familiarity . Batman's isn't.

The manga was good. I am sure i would have heard and read it by now. The fact that batman has little to no presences in any Asian stories itself is telling and proof enough of my statement . Wonderwoman works well with bushido. Superman is universal.

I have no problem if batman is or isn't. But, you haven't provided me anything otherwise.Maybe for the middle class or upper middle class folk around the world that are familiar with superheroes Batsymbol means something .But, Batsymbol has no significance in a rural village in india or africa. I have been to these places and know personally. The s means more, there is no comparison between that s and Batsymbol.The outside underwear wearing strongman is more recognisable than a guy pointy ears. Superman's only competition is the cross.Dude, having dead parents or tragedy isn't a batman copyup. There are characters like guts from berserk who is like batman. But, he isn't based on him. Those are two different things.You are putting forward your subjective pointof view as a fact. But, that's opinion not fact. Facts requires evidence.
    https://definitivedose.com/the-100-m...al-characters/
    https://echobuwarrior.wordpress.com/...-in-the-world/
    Superman's only competition is the mouse as character. The cross as symbol. This is'nt my opinion. I am being blunt

They don't need comics to know that Superman marriage and kid is a likely outcome. People have been egging for lois and clark to end cat/mouse nonsense since 70 atleast.
    They know that Superman and Lois is a couple, doesn't mean they either want or know of super son. I'm not discussing whether it's a good or bad addition to the mythos/franchise (although you know where I stand), only pointing out you can't argue they voted for a family man because most of them don't know the family exists, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    They know that Superman and Lois is a couple, doesn't mean they either want or know of super son. I'm not discussing whether it's a good or bad addition to the mythos/franchise (although you know where I stand), only pointing out you can't argue they voted for a family man because most of them don't know the family exists, and that's the truth.
    I didn't say they voted for family man,someone else did. My point is this, they wouldn't care either way. And furthermore, super sons and daughters have been continuing to exist since ages. If they know superman and lois are couple, a kid can and might happen. It would be common sense for them. They wouldn't vote against superman cause he went home and became a family man.

I didn't say they voted for family man,someone else did. My point is this, they wouldn't care either way. And furthermore, super sons and daughters have been continuing to exist since ages. If they know superman and lois are couple, a kid can and might happen. It would be common sense for them. They wouldn't vote against superman cause he went home and became a family man.
    And I never said they would or wouldn't care, so why the discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In THE GREAT COMIC BOOK HEROES, Jules Feiffer says something to the effect that kids like him knew they couldn't be Superman--an alien--and they couldn't be Batman--too much work--but they could be Captain Marvel--they just had to figure out the right magic word to transform them.
    Oh yeah, I remember that. I still have that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    And I never said they would or wouldn't care, so why the discussion?
    I thought you were implying a family man would be rejected. If you weren't, my bad and my apologies.

What i meant was i didn't read your reply regarding rogersmith.That's still only two examples. 80 years and two examples. Not good enough.

As said, he can immerse himself all he wants. Ninja are born into that setting. Have you watched fullmetal alchemist? Ninjas are like wrath homunculi. They are bread warriors, that kill themselves for mission. Bruce wayne is no ninja. Ninja's are tought to see emotions as weakness. Bruce is an emo. He is a pretend ninja. Deathstroke or his son damian might fit the bill.It's like this anyone can be a yoga practitioner. But, there those that started before the bones set that can do amazing things and have greater levels of flexibility.Superman doesn't need to be changed is what i am saying. Character can be largely stay the same and be accepted by any culture . Strongmen remains the same whereever. His archetype is universal. Krishna, moses, jesus, hercules, samson.. Etc in any culture there is equivalent for familiarity . Batman's isn't.

The manga was good. I am sure i would have heard and read it by now. The fact that batman has little to no presences in any Asian stories itself is telling and proof enough of my statement . Wonderwoman works well with bushido. Superman is universal.

I have no problem if batman is or isn't. But, you haven't provided me anything otherwise.Maybe for the middle class or upper middle class folk around the world that are familiar with superheroes Batsymbol means something .But, Batsymbol has no significance in a rural village in india or africa. I have been to these places and know personally. The s means more, there is no comparison between that s and Batsymbol.The outside underwear wearing strongman is more recognisable than a guy pointy ears. Superman's only competition is the cross.Dude, having dead parents or tragedy isn't a batman copyup. There are characters like guts from berserk who is like batman. But, he isn't based on him. Those are two different things.You are putting forward your subjective pointof view as a fact. But, that's opinion not fact. Facts requires evidence.
    https://definitivedose.com/the-100-m...al-characters/
    https://echobuwarrior.wordpress.com/...-in-the-world/
    Superman's only competition is the mouse as character. The cross as symbol. This is'nt my opinion. I am being blunt
    You posted a link to a list of the most iconic fictional characters of all-time, that's an opinion not a fact, you can't factually prove character A is more iconic than character B. The most recognizable symbols list also isn't fact either since it's just the author's personal findings from friends and family, they didn't do a global survey or anything.

You've provided zero actual evidence.

Anyway, this thread is about Superman getting the most votes for favorite superhero at Disneyland, while there are international visitors, mostly Americans were being asked the question. I don't know why you keep bringing up popularity in Asia and other regions when this is about a U.S. based survey. If you want to talk about superheroes who are big in Asia, I'm pretty sure Spider-Man wins in a landslide.

Finally, you seem to confuse iconic status with actual popularity, the 2 aren't always the same thing. Wonder Woman, especially in the U.S., is much more iconic than Iron Man and Captain America yet they got more votes than her. So you going on about Superman being a bigger icon than Batman doesn't really have much to do with a literal popularity contest.

Unsurprising really. People watched 10 seasons of Smallville after all. People are inclined to like Supes. Why not after all? He’s pretty likeable personality wise, he’s got that big romantic tone and a sense of humor that often goes unappreciated but makes him enjoyable to watch. Your average person doesn’t have that complex comic readers have about “power levels” or “relatability” or whatever.

Something feels slight off about this poll and its result. So two things

1.A general poll of superheroes Superman will always do well because he is synonymous with superhero
    2. In comic genre Superman still has amazing brand recognition perhaps the best in comics

These things are not put downs just trying to put proper context to poll results. This feels to me who has better brand recognition than who is actually popular now these things can be same things. The poll shows me that superhero movies have increased the brand recognition on bunch of characters. But in a real popularity I think does not match this poll, if for some reason a Superman movie, Batman movie and Wolverine movie were all release on the same day who do think will do better assuming all the movies look the same quality? Assuming they are all the same quality who video game does better? You put the best writer and best artist on the book who does better? I love Superman but Dark characters clearly work better to with the audiences today. Someone says Superhero my mind goes to Superman easy but someone goes let watch something in the superhero genre I think other stuff beat out Superman easy. I think Superman has more recognition today than popularity but as a note you can't be recognizable without a large level of popularity.

To me this says Superman should still be doing very good probably better than he is doing in this era his reach and recognizability is still the best in comics. Superman is the best brand in comics
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-14-2020 at 11:39 PM.