Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Sucks at his job
    He doesn't. Competence was never his problem.

And since I have heard multiple creators I trust comment on Didio's enthusiasm and deep love for the DCU
    Enthusiasm is not the issue. And he sure loves the DCU. His version of it.

Just because I disagree with many of his decisions and actions doesn’t mean he's not being genuine.
    But he is being genuine: he said multiple times "I want this, screw that", and he keeps acting on it. Despite anything else.

Sometimes people can fundamentally disagree with each other without either one being the bad guy.
    And sometimes people just suck: trustworthy creators (and other types of pros) talking about all the things Dan was actively trying to destroy are also not hard to find (at all).
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Ultimate Member

The issue with Dan is what he says and what the final result is two different things.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Is this the part where I mention Didio went on radio silence to defend Berganza originally when the public found out about him being a serial harasser because they were buds behind the scenes? Because he's actually just done shitty bad things from a purely human perspective aside from just doing terrible creative things and frequently displaying mirth at angering and insulting fans.

We're primarily talking about his creative duties and I was just stretching your metaphor. You're the one who brought it up and I thought it was purely artistic license but if you're really just trying to say Didio's a good guy who's just got a bunk creative vision, and that I shouldn't be so against him because I'm just being rude to a nice guy then, uh, no. That's not a good reason to tighten my lips up.
    Again, nobody is telling you to "tighten your lips up" (by the way, ew).

As for the whole Berganza fiasco, Didio is still a corporate executive bound by the same NDA Berganza had to sign, so I have no idea what he could or couldn't say about the exact details of that situation. Few people do, and neither or us are one of them. The only thing we can be certain of is that Berganza acted like a creep, got demoted for it, went into therapy and finally came out of the closet, got his job back, then got fired years later because Diane Nelson didn't want any bad press. If Didio acted inappropriately during these events, neither or us would know because neither of us were there.

I don't know if Dan Didio is a great guy or not. Like all of us, I'm sure he's done a lot of good stuff along with some bad stuff. Once he's finished as DC's head honcho, it's entirely possible we might start to hear more unflattering things about him, like what's happened with Julie Shwartz, but, right now, the worst stuff I've heard about Didio is how bad he is at his job far too many times. Even Mark Waid, who is far from a fan of Didio (or Harras), hasn't taken issue with Didio personally, only professionally. And, again, neither of really knows what the truth of that was either (I tend to believe Waid, though).

But, none of that really matters, does it? The choice is still yours. You can spend hour after hour, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, seething over Dan Didio and what mistakes he's making, or you can move on and do something more productive with all of that energy. Hating Dan Didio is not making your life better, or making the world a better place. Hate can be productive, because it's a great motivator, but you need to direct it towards something more valuable than the mismanagement of a fictional character. It took me too many years to realise that, and I hope I can make you realise that too one of these days.

As always, I wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    He doesn't. Competence was never his problem.

Enthusiasm is not the issue. And he sure loves the DCU. His version of it.

But he is being genuine: he said multiple times "I want this, screw that", and he keeps acting on it. Despite anything else.

And sometimes people just suck: trustworthy creators (and other types of pros) talking about all the things Dan was actively trying to destroy are also not hard to find (at all).
    Okay, so you still think Dan Didio sucks as a whole, whereas I just think he sucks at his job. That's fine, but it doesn't make much of a difference. What's the end result of that? As far as I can see, it's the same. Neither of us have the power to remove him from his job, so what is being accomplished with all this hate and vitriol? Venting is one thing, but there comes a point when you've got to move on and find something more productive to do with your time. The five stages of grief do not stop with anger.

. . . Venting is one thing, but there comes a point when you've got to move on and find something more productive to do with your time. The five stages of grief do not stop with anger.
    So, is the solution to send a loud and clear message to DC that you won't ever buy anything else from WB/DC until they rid themselves of Dan DiDio permanently?

Would that qualify as "productive"?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, is the solution to send a loud and clear message to DC that you won't ever buy anything else from WB/DC until they rid themselves of Dan DiDio permanently?

Would that qualify as "productive"?
    Sure, if that's what you want to do, and it helps you get on with your life.

Sure, if that's what you want to do, and it helps you get on with your life.
    Well, I'm not speaking of me personally; I was offering it as a hypothetical for those more pissed about things than I am.

Me, I'm just generally not caring about most of what DC puts out these days.
    It happens every decade or two.

Astonishing Member

Again, nobody is telling you to "tighten your lips up" (by the way, ew).

As for the whole Berganza fiasco, Didio is still a corporate executive bound by the same NDA Berganza had to sign, so I have no idea what he could or couldn't say about the exact details of that situation. Few people do, and neither or us are one of them. The only thing we can be certain of is that Berganza acted like a creep, got demoted for it, went into therapy and finally came out of the closet, got his job back, then got fired years later because Diane Nelson didn't want any bad press. If Didio acted inappropriately during these events, neither or us would know because neither of us were there.

I don't know if Dan Didio is a great guy or not. Like all of us, I'm sure he's done a lot of good stuff along with some bad stuff. Once he's finished as DC's head honcho, it's entirely possible we might start to hear more unflattering things about him, like what's happened with Julie Shwartz, but, right now, the worst stuff I've heard about Didio is how bad he is at his job far too many times. Even Mark Waid, who is far from a fan of Didio (or Harras), hasn't taken issue with Didio personally, only professionally. And, again, neither of really knows what the truth of that was either (I tend to believe Waid, though).

But, none of that really matters, does it? The choice is still yours. You can spend hour after hour, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, seething over Dan Didio and what mistakes he's making, or you can move on and do something more productive with all of that energy. Hating Dan Didio is not making your life better, or making the world a better place. Hate can be productive, because it's a great motivator, but you need to direct it towards something more valuable than the mismanagement of a fictional character. It took me too many years to realise that, and I hope I can make you realise that too one of these days.

As always, I wish you well.
    I find this all really rather ironic because you seem to spend just as much effort trying to undermine me, or at the very least dissuade me, as I do trying to make a point. What production are you making, exactly? Why is my production the point of contention here and not yours? If you held yourself to the same standard I don't think we'd really interact that much. My shouting to the rooftops of a fictional character at least has a stated goal for something I'd like to see in the world, even if it's never going to happen and such a thing isn't important in the grand scheme of things. But I don't live my life purely based on what would be best in the grand scheme of things. Neither do you. Else we wouldn't read comics. We'd spend that time planting trees.

I think it boils down to the same thing. We both like talking about comics -- a deeply unproductive activity. My investment lies in something you'd rather not see, posts detailing anger and displeasure at bad things happening in a hobby I love because of a very specific slight, so you now invest in rebuffing me. It's not coincidence we butt heads. But please, please, please stop pretending you're this wizened old sage trying to lay your wisdom upon my poor angry soul. I get it, fifty years ago or something you got mad at comics too and now you don't, so therefore I should not get mad anymore because I'm just you from the past transported to the future and our experiences and lives are basically congruous. Our feelings and emotions aren't unique enough to distinguish differently so I should just be more like you.

Someone who posts a lot about comics on a comic book forum, designed for talking about comics books.

Heck, I'm doing a pretty good job already.
    Last edited by Dred; 06-02-2019 at 07:01 PM.

BANNED

what you should do is prove the anti flash equation that Wally was cast aside for Barry and retconed to being a unrecognizable character so that he could be shown to be a languished character dwelling on his wrongs while other characters like beetle and booster laugh at his predicament and jai and iris cry seeing what their heroic father has been reduced to. also prove irrefutably that Tom King is on moonshine and doesn't seem to have any other clue on how to bring back a character successfully back in the fans eye apart from suffering from nervous breakdowns.

I find this all really rather ironic because you seem to spend just as much effort trying to undermine me, or at the very least dissuade me, as I do trying to make a point. What production are you making, exactly? Why is my production the point of contention here and not yours? If you held yourself to the same standard I don't think we'd really interact that much. My shouting to the rooftops of a fictional character at least has a stated goal for something I'd like to see in the world, even if it's never going to happen and such a thing isn't important in the grand scheme of things. But I don't live my life purely based on what would be best in the grand scheme of things. Neither do you. Else we wouldn't read comics. We'd spend that time planting trees.

I think it boils down to the same thing. We both like talking about comics -- a deeply unproductive activity. My investment lies in something you'd rather not see, posts detailing anger and displeasure at bad things happening in a hobby I love because of a very specific slight, so you now invest in rebuffing me. It's not coincidence we butt heads. But please, please, please stop pretending you're this wizened old sage trying to lay your wisdom upon my poor angry soul. I get it, fifty years ago or something you got mad at comics too and now you don't, so therefore I should not get mad anymore because I'm just you from the past transported to the future and our experiences and lives are basically congruous. Our feelings and emotions aren't unique enough to distinguish differently so I should just be more like you.

Someone who posts a lot about comics on a comic book forum, designed for talking about comics books.

Heck, I'm doing a pretty good job already.
    I don't want you to stop posting about comics on this forum or any other. I never have. As I have said before, I enjoy talking to you and wish you well.

I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to convince you to be more positive because I genuinely think that would help your life better. I know that there are better uses of our time, but I already spend the majority of my life when I'm not on these forums doing stuff I love and, not to sound immodest, making the world a better place. You see, I'm an English teacher/tutor in Asia. I use comic books, mostly DC superheroes, to teach kids, and young adults to read, write, communicate and think about the world differently. I've somehow managed to make my unhealthy obsession with the DCU into a teaching tool that has worked wonders. There's probably a disproportionate number of kids throughout Asia who know waaaaay more about the DCU than most thanks to my classes.

If you think I'm somehow talking down to you or something, that's not really my intention, and if I am coming off as some wizened old wiseman trying to teach you a thing or two, that's probably just my teacher coming out. That's literally how I spend most of my day, so I apologize if you feel condescended to at all.

I just don't think all this hate and negativity is making you happy and I want to help. That is all. I know criticism is hard to accept sometimes. I wasn't willing to accept it either at times in my life when I was so wrapped up in my righteous indignation and outrage.

Astonishing Member

I know what will make me happy (within comic books) and, with what little ability I have, I'm making a stink about it so it might happen. Being loud and angry got us DC Universe Rebirth, and I was very happy in that brief moment about DC comics. I'll continue to chase my high. I don't care that you don't care about things that you like sucking. I do.

I don't know what more I need to do. I've thrown so many pleases, so many attempts, to get you to understand that you and I are not the same person. You constantly trying to take up this authority tone, like a parent scolding a child, has grown beyond tiresome and is getting insulting. You don't care if I feel condescended because you love condescending as much as I love ranting, apparently, because neither of us is stopping.
    Last edited by Dred; 06-02-2019 at 07:39 PM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Okay, so you still think Dan Didio sucks as a whole, whereas I just think he sucks at his job.
    As a whole? Jesus, no! He may a great friend and a wonderful father, and I believe he'd also make a great drinking buddy.

What we were discussing here is his motivations: and the idea that "he's trying to do what he thinks is best for the DCU and failing". And he's not doing either of those things. What he's trying to do is paint the whole DCU with a brush that he likes, and troll or bully whoever makes that hard for him. And he's made that clear.

Way back in 2009 he said something along the lines of "well, once people start reading the stories with Barry, everybody is gonna love them and the complaints are going to stop".

They didn't, he's a petty man (or a petty professional, IDK), and if people are going to complain he's sure gonna give them something to complain about.

That's it. The whole "the fact of the matter is that Dan is trying his best" irks me because he's made a damn good point to up his ante on the bullshit he pulls at every single opportunity. And this is not the first time or character he tries to pull this with.

but there comes a point when you've got to move on and find something more productive to do with your time.
    I'm a pretty good multi-tasker. Never made a post here while not working at the same time. My time is productive AF!

The five stages of grief do not stop with anger.
    I'm not angry. I just see no reason to go out of my way to try and defend someone who is clearly pulling this crap on purpose. Thing is, as my hobbies go I'm pretty invested in DC and I'll discuss the comics, what brought them to life, the backstage of the stuff and so on regardless. I'm in it for the long run: not my fault if the current state of affairs is crappy.

ALSO: I think unhappy people should complain, on any avenue they can (specially in their comic shop, if physical buyers). The fact that a large contingent of people who love DC currently hate DC is, for me, a positive. I may be many things, but I'll never be this dog:

ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

I know what will make me happy (within comic books) and, with what little ability I have, I'm making a stink about it so it might happen. Being loud and angry got us DC Universe Rebirth, and I was very happy in that brief moment about DC comics. I'll continue to chase my high. I don't care that you don't care about things that you like sucking. I do.

I don't know what more I need to do. I've thrown so many pleases, so many attempts, to get you to understand that you and I are not the same person. You constantly trying to take up this authority tone, like a parent scolding a child, has grown beyond tiresome and is getting insulting. You don't care if I feel condescended because you love condescending as much as I love ranting, apparently, because neither of us is stopping.
    If you feel my replies to you are upsetting, insulting or no longer wanted, you don't need to read my posts or reply to me. Hell, you can even put me on ignore so you don't have to even see what I'm saying.

Astonishing Member

If you feel my replies to you are upsetting, insulting or no longer wanted, you don't need to read my posts or reply to me. Hell, you can even put me on ignore so you don't have to even see what I'm saying.
    I don't mind your posts. I mind you going "I was like you one day, young lad! I've learned from the mistakes you are currently making, and you should stop doing those things!" I'm liable to sprain my eyes I've rolled them so much. The rest of the content in them is usually fine even if I disagree. I mind like 20% of the given content of any post you make in direct response to me where you talk down to me. We're both adults here.

Ignoring you isn't really a good option because you are so active in the forum. It excludes me from the conversation, which is punishing myself. Ignoring your problems is not my style, anyhow, if that wasn't apparent enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    As a whole? Jesus, no! He may a great friend and a wonderful father, and I believe he'd also make a great drinking buddy.

What we were discussing here is his motivations: and the idea that "he's trying to do what he thinks is best for the DCU and failing". And he's not doing either of those things. What he's trying to do is paint the whole DCU with a brush that he likes, and troll or bully whoever makes that hard for him. And he's made that clear.

Way back in 2009 he said something along the lines of "well, once people start reading the stories with Barry, everybody is gonna love them and the complaints are going to stop".

They didn't, he's a petty man (or a petty professional, IDK), and if people are going to complain he's sure gonna give them something to complain about.

That's it. The whole "the fact of the matter is that Dan is trying his best" irks me because he's made a damn good point to up his ante on the bullshit he pulls at every single opportunity. And this is not the first time or character he tries to pull this with.

I'm a pretty good multi-tasker. Never made a post here while not working at the same time. My time is productive AF!

I'm not angry. I just see no reason to go out of my way to try and defend someone who is clearly pulling this crap on purpose. Thing is, as my hobbies go I'm pretty invested in DC and I'll discuss the comics, what brought them to life, the backstage of the stuff and so on regardless. I'm in it for the long run: not my fault if the current state of affairs is crappy.

ALSO: I think unhappy people should complain, on any avenue they can (specially in their comic shop, if physical buyers). The fact that a large contingent of people who love DC currently hate DC is, for me, a positive. I may be many things, but I'll never be this dog:
    Fair enough, I don't think everything is fine at the moment, but I want to balance the positive and negative so I try to not just focus on one or the other too much. Currently, there are good books being published by DC that I really enjoy so I try to talk about them, along with other parts of the DCU I love. When I don't like something, I complain about it, then try to move on and focus only on the negative. If I see someone or something being treated unfairly, I speak up.

If I've misunderstood how angry you are, then I apologize for misinterpreting your posts, but I think you can understand I would be confused about how upset you are about all this, can't you?