Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Well we know that Hickman and Howard are working closely together because Apocalypse is going to be a major player in the future.

TH is just missing out on some story beats that should be given spotlight.

I get waht she's trying to do but I feel like a better writer would have made this better and more intriguing.

Wish we had a British writer honestly. They are always good in my opinion. Spurrier, Carey, or Cornell.

But sticking with this title for Betsy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Well we know that Hickman and Howard are working closely together because Apocalypse is going to be a major player in the future.

TH is just missing out on some story beats that should be given spotlight.

I get waht she's trying to do but I feel like a better writer would have made this better and more intriguing.

Wish we had a British writer honestly. They are always good in my opinion. Spurrier, Carey, or Cornell.

But sticking with this title for Betsy.
    Gotta be honest, I didn't actually realise how much I wanted that until I saw Betsy say "mommy" instead of "mummy" to Shogo. I mean c'mon! I love Betsy's voice here but c'mon...!

So are we thinking this first arc is basically Betsy coming to terms with being the new Captain Britain.

I kind of wish she would have some introspection on basically creating a new body for herself out of soul/psychic energy.

You know that saying that we dont see ourselves how other people percieve us. Or something like that. Whatever.

I'd love a deep dive in that. Being able to create a body for yourself in the image of what you've always wanted.

I kind of take this as she got the warrior body during the bodyswap/seigeperilous.

But now she basically created a completely new body that will function that way she always wanted.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    So are we thinking this first arc is basically Betsy coming to terms with being the new Captain Britain.

I kind of wish she would have some introspection on basically creating a new body for herself out of soul/psychic energy.

You know that saying that we dont see ourselves how other people percieve us. Or something like that. Whatever.

I'd love a deep dive in that. Being able to create a body for yourself in the image of what you've always wanted.

I kind of take this as she got the warrior body during the bodyswap/seigeperilous.

But now she basically created a completely new body that will function that way she always wanted.
    Oh definitely agree! Like, we need a moment where Betsy really questions what her sense of self is; what speaks to her most now, how is that impacted by the body-swap, and this would actually be a good time to do it! The mantle-change could serve as a great thematic parallel as well; like "Am I just always stepping into other people's identities, or is this me now?"

ooh i like that

BANNED

To date, BEST issue of this series BY FAR! RICTOR & Apoc in particular, brought with them the WIN!! To the point where Excab finally edges out Mrds & XM, as the better release of the week, IMO. Even the Otherworld stuff seemed to gain some steam, and grab my attention more. Jubes' heartfelt worries over Shogo stuck out to me, coming across as a pretty authentic mother/child dynamic, like they did. We need some progress with that Rogue sitch, tho, stat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    To date, BEST issue of this series BY FAR! RICTOR & Apoc in particular, brought with them the WIN!! To the point where Excab finally edges out Mrds & XM, as the better release of the week, IMO. Even the Otherworld stuff seemed to gain some steam, and grab my attention more. Jubes' heartfelt worries over Shogo stuck out to me, coming across as a pretty authentic mother/child dynamic, like they did. We need some progress with that Rogue sitch, tho, stat.
    Definitely agree with ya there; hey thank god for double shipping this month though, eh?

I've just kinda realised though, I am worried about Shogo as a dragon. Like, not 'cos he's a dragon, just 'cos he's still very much a hapless, innocent baby in mind. Like I can see if he ever gets separated from Jubilee or Betsy even like this it'd be terrifying to think what might happen to him!

Was gonna post this in the appreciation thread, but then I realized that wasn’t the place for it and I don’t wanna be unjustly banned again, so here we go.

So, I’m not gonna say this book is bad necessarily, but I don’t think it’s as strong as some people believe it is. The biggest highlights of the book were Kate making jokes about Rogue in #2 and the art (however, after reading Joyride, I now believe that To and Arciniega are a mismatch).

It’s very clear that Howard has big plans for Betsy, Apocalypse, and Rictor but Gambit, Jubilee, and Rogue seem to just be there for... who knows, Howard likes them? They fit DnD archetypes? Whatever reason it is, they don’t matter to the narrative and could’ve been easily replaced by other characters.

Also, I was excited to see if Howard would write Gambit better than Thompson did. She has not. Marriage is still trash, and will always be trash.

Then, there’s the magic. When we heard “mutant magic” I’m pretty sure we all expected some Dr. Strange stuff mixed in with all the Otherworld stuff. But what we got is just witchcraft without any of the things that make witchcraft interesting. They traded gothic influence for mutant references.

The book just doesn’t feel magical.

So just read it.

The lighthouse is in Cornwall? I thought it was near Liverpool on the western coast.

I anticipate Shogo will stay in Otherworld.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    So just read it.

The lighthouse is in Cornwall? I thought it was near Liverpool on the western coast.

I anticipate Shogo will stay in Otherworld.
    No, dude, don't say that!! He can only take whatever form he wants; he still adores and needs his mother!! Don't be wishing that bond to be broken!

(Besides; we need that narrative perspective so far as seeing how mutant babies born/raised on Krakoa are treated/received.)

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

That's actually even worse than Jubes being forced to kill him (my original fear). It comes across as "freeing" her from the shackles of a visible connection to a sapiens, even a baby, being flaunted to the Krakoans' faces who thought no flatscans will ever be allowed to live with them.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    That's actually even worse than Jubes being forced to kill him (my original fear). It comes across as "freeing" her from the shackles of a visible connection to a sapiens, even a baby, being flaunted to the Krakoans' faces who thought no flatscans will ever be allowed to live with them.
    Right?? Like, the whole idea of "You'll be happier in the wild as an orphan than on Krakoa" is just horrible! Like, there's really so little compassion for it left? So little faith for Jubilee to have that she has to choose between what she is and the baby she loves as her own?

No, I wouldn't accept that. That'd be the point were the X-Men were officially dead to me for such a sociopathic take!

I was 12 when Cyclops sent his son to the Askani future in order to remove “parenthood” from his character.

I can pretty easily see Shogo preferring to stay a dragon on Otherworld. Jubilee gets reset to factory settings, and Betsy gets a dragon mount that age speaks to telepathically.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I was 12 when Cyclops sent his son to the Askani future in order to remove “parenthood” from his character.

I can pretty easily see Shogo preferring to stay a dragon on Otherworld. Jubilee gets reset to factory settings, and Betsy gets a dragon mount that age speaks to telepathically.
    But that's still horrible?? Both for Scott then and Jubilee now?? Even Scott got Nathan back as a kid recently??

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Penance-Monet: Quel malheur. Jubilee has set her emergency food-source free. No choice morsel for us today, mes chères sœurs.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi