View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Green Lantern?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alan Scott

12 7.02%
  • Hal Jordan

63 36.84%
  • Guy Gardner

10 5.85%
  • John Stewart

32 18.71%
  • Kyle Rayner

27 15.79%
  • Simon Baz

3 1.75%
  • Jessica Cruz

24 14.04%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Interesting. Is that where he gets that "imaginary" minus 5,000 number from?
    If you can show me where he said that, then I can try to answer the question better. But right now, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If you can show me where he said that, then I can try to answer the question better. But right now, I'm not sure what you're referring to.
    http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post3451659

Post 59. He claims that number a lot.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    DC is doing absolutely everything it can think of to make that comic sell. But it just isn't happening.
    please stop

baiting people

thanks

BANNED

Voted for John.

He's "my" Green Lantern, as far as that goes (never been a huge fan of the mythos), mostly due to the JL/JLU cartoons, and I'll probably only ever get properly invested in the mythos if I ever notice that he's "head of state" (so to speak).

Like I've posted several times -- I bet you anything that DC is offering the shop owners free returns on unsold copies of Green Lanterns. They're doing everything they can to sell that comic.

And I bet they'll keep publishing it long after it's dropped below the normal cancellation level.
    You have no evidence of that, and it makes zero sense.

Free returns are only used early in runs before shops know how much they will sell. They have no value 40 issues into a run. Shops know exactly how many copies they will sell each week give or take 2-3. No comic shop is going to be wasting their time over ordering then returning comics every month when the run has already settled into its predictable selling pattern.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post3451659

Post 59. He claims that number a lot.
    Here's what you refer to:
    DC is shipping 26K copies of Green Lanterns a month, and the number is dropping fast. But further, I'll bet you they're puffing the total by about 5K, by offering the comics shops free returns on unsold copies. That means it's probably really selling only 21K on icv2.
    Problem is, we can't really say if it's "imaginary" or not without knowing more on where/how he came up with that "5,000" in the first place, nor if he has any comic book shops that would say that DC definitely has been offering free returns on unsold copies of that title this late in the game.
    (I tend to think that's not likely; I know comichron has this for their chart information:
    Items marked with asterisks[*] had their reported orders reduced by 10% due to returnability.
    but neither issue of Green Lanterns for January 2018 had an asterisk by it.)

At best, I think we can call his claim "unproven" until he shares further verifiable facts.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I like Hal for what he could be under the right pen.

I've been digging Jessica Cruz a lot though. I think with the right focus, she could be huge.

I never understood the appeal of Guy Gardner and feel like he makes a better Red Lantern.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-15-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

John Stewart for me. I did grow up with him but after reading the runs that actually did him service I loved him even more. He's not a boring strict person many people believe, that's just the inconsistent writing many writers fall into. In Englehart's run John was everything but boring.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 02-15-2018 at 03:11 PM.

I voted for John, but it's largely a three way tie between him, Guy, and Kyle.

Back in the day when Marz was handling the character Kyle was the undisputed champ, and one of my top three favorite comic characters. But he hasn't been as fun since Winnick.

Always loved Guy. He just gets better with time too.

But I love John and his sense of duty and stability. There isn't a Lantern I'd rather have by my side in a tight spot than John Stewart. They're all heroic and highly skilled, but John has more military discipline than all the rest together.

I have nothing against Jessica or Baz, but I don't know them very well.

Love Allan Scott too, but mostly as a part of the JSA.

Hal....I've never enjoyed the character. He's been in some really great stories, but on his own merits I actually find him rather obnoxious.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Go into the "Hal Jordan Appreciation Thread" and you will find many. It was so bad that I stopped posting in it.
    I go there all the time, I don't see many "militant" posters. If someone goes there and starts disparaging the character the thread is meant to "appreciate", they would likely get negative feedback, like in any other appreciation thread. But "militant"? Nah.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Hal. He's the first one I had any real investment in because he was the central character when I started buying the books. He's a difficult character for writers to get "right," but I think it's very rewarding when they do. King's one shot made me want to see him write the character, and Cooke's portrayal is probably the best. I love Johns's too (excepting his appearance in JL).

John would be second, if only because he was the first one I was exposed to overall in JL/U. If it were up to me, he and Hal would be the only two Earth Lanterns. I think he's boring most of the time, but I've been informed by John Stewart fans that that the portrayals I find boring (including the DCAU) are not great representations of the character. I think I like John more for his potential than anything I've seen on the page.

Guy is ok in small doses, but I wouldn't miss him him if he were to vanish either. I've always struggled to see the appeal of Kyle as well. His iconic costume just SCREAMS 90s, him being hyped as the most "relateable" is not the way to my heart, and his run gave the Women in Refrigerators trope a name. I liked him in Morrison's JLA run, but if even Morrison can only manage "he's oK sometimes, I guess," I don't think I will ever like the character.

Simon and Jessica I don't have too much exposure to. I have Earth GL fatigue, they really shouldn't have added two more when they barely know what to do with the FOUR they already have. Simon is meh, but I liked Jess well enough in the few issues of GLs by Seeley I read.

Alan I have no opinion on. I have the same stance on him as I do with the rest of the JSA: I'm fine with them being around, but they should be on Earth-2.

Hal Jordan. He was the main Green Lantern when I was introduced to the series in Geoff Johns' run and I really like how Johns' wrote the character.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I like all of them except for Jessica and Baz.

I grew up reading comics featuring Alan, Hal and John. To me, John has the most personality out of all them and I wish DC would give him his own book.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    John Stewart is my all time favorite DC character and GL character.

It's a shame how DC degrades John, because the white guy has to be the greatest (and yet under his leadership, caused other GL's to die, but yet it's said in the solicits that he's still the greatest Green Lantern of them all). So they tend to hold John and others back. White superiority still exists.
    I think nostalgia and "iconic" are what's driving the idea of Hal being "The Greatest" GL since he was the original Silver Age Green Lantern. (And yes, the idea of negro/ colored/ black/ African-American GL would probably not have even been thought of by a major comic book publisher back in the late 1950s, but that's just the way things were back then, for better or worse.)

NOTE: the different terms for a non-Caucasian are an attempt to reflect the many different eras in the nearly 60 years that Hal has been "Green Lantern", though there are probably more I could have included to reflect the changes in thought / in society over that span of time.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think nostalgia and "iconic" are what's driving the idea of Hal being "The Greatest" GL since he was the original Silver Age Green Lantern. (And yes, the idea of negro/ colored/ black/ African-American GL would probably not have even been thought of by a major comic book publisher back in the late 1950s, but that's just the way things were back then, for better or worse.)

NOTE: the different terms for a non-Caucasian are an attempt to reflect the many different eras in the nearly 60 years that Hal has been "Green Lantern", though there are probably more I could have included to reflect the changes in thought / in society over that span of time.
    The thing is, "nostalgia" don't really mean anything anymore. There's people who want Kyle to be the main GL again, do they realize he was created 24 years ago? Same with John when people bring up his popularity from the JL cartoon, they do know that cartoon started almost two decades ago, right? All of this is "nostalgia", whether it's post-Crisis or Silver Age. Only Simon and Jessica are not "nostalgic" Lanterns and they will be in a few decades time.