Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    And here is my first post, its April 1939 and the first TV opened in the World Fair with President Franklin Roosevelt, we could only dream one day we would be able to have this magnificent contraption working in our homes. But for now we had the great movie theaters and COMIC BOOKS!!! :

Here's is a link to the Sub-mariner story published by Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly #1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqjxyjnuX6M
    The youtube video just like Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly #1 is missing like 4 extra pages that were added when the story was reprinted in Marvel Comics #1 and that introduces lady Dorma.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story to generate discussion in a forum. You can read the complete story by purchasing the Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 1 (Marvel Comics #1, Marvel Mystery Comics #2–4) or any other available reprints.
    http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Masterw...PF3818RHV5YY00

For those who wants to get ahead, here's another link for Namor's second appearance in the re-named Marvel Mystery Comics # 02
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16qmUZjgAKg

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story to generate discussion in a forum. You can read the complete story by purchasing the Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 1 (Marvel Comics #1, Marvel Mystery Comics #2–4) or any other available reprints.
    These are AWESOME!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Before I get to talking about the issue, I'd like to point out, the coloring issues we see in alot of reprints, especially from the Golden Age. Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly was actually printed in black and white. Everett's Subby story looks like a lovely ink wash, but it was actually done with Craft Tint paper! I think he was trying to convey the underwater scenes, as you can see in the second page posted below.

A testament to Bill Everett, Namor's creator, that he was experimenting with these techniques at the dawn of American superhero comics. Unfortunately, when color was added in Marvel Comics, the result was a muddying of Everett's work, so much that Martin Goodman almost canceled the comic before it went out!

You also have the problem of later colorists 'correcting' the Atlanteans' skin color. Originally, as you can see in the scans you posted, several Atlanteans appeared Caucasian -- the ones that weren't more fishy looking, who were green or blue. And then you had just awful reprints, in both color and line work. There were a lot of complaints about the atrocious reprints in the first edition of Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Marvel Comics.

The best reprint, IMO, of the Subby story in Marvel Comics #1 was done by Jose Villarubia for the 70th Anniversary. I'll see if I can dig up those scans up.
    Everett did a fine job.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post

These are AWESOME!!!
    LOL I love the "crusade against white men"

BANNED

Isn't that crusade also been going on the last 5 years or so at marvel comics! History repeats itself!

BANNED

Today's issue we read is the renamed Marvel Comics; Marvel Mystery Comics #2. Namor is like a demon in the hunt to slaughter Americans, with a soft spot for the fair sex. So far Namor with the blessing of her mother Princess Fen goes in a destructive rampage, killing innocent men in his pursue for revenge against the surface world. I have to admit this is very different from the hot tempered but heroic prince from the Marvel Silver Age. It is very interesting because its more gritty and in a way more in line with action movies today. I'm curious to see how Namor turns around from villain to hero cause right now he is one very disturbed youth whose actions seem unredeamable.

A copy of this issue is available in youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16qmUZjgAKg
    Sure seems that way, yes.

BANNED

Sub-Mariner #1 May 1968
    "Years of Glory, Day of Doom!"
    Story continued from Iron Man and Sub-Mariner #1...
    With the Sub-Mariner trapped under tons of frozen ice, Destiny decides to mock Namor further by gloating over his victory by revealing
    the many lost memories that Namor has yet to recover after his years with amnesia. Using his destiny helmet, Destiny links their minds and reveals all.

Namor is taken back in time to the days when his father, Leonard McKenzie, was part of an Antarctic exploration expedition where they would be required to blast ice in order to get by.
    As the Antarctic Atlantis was below the area, their dynamiting caused great upheaval in the ancient under water city.
    Lord Thakorr would send his daughter, Princess Fen, up to explore on the surface, using a potion that would allow her to breath on land.

Fen would board MacKenzie's ship and eventually learn English while the two would fall in love and soon were married.
    Not aware of this, Thakorr would send a team up to recover Fen, clashing with the crew and seemingly slaying them all, and returning Fen to their kingdom before learning the truth.

However, Leonard's legacy would live on as Fen would be pregnant with his child, giving birth to the human/Atlantean hybrid Namor, prince to the throne of Atlantis.

Reaching adulthood, Namor would first be a menace to the surface people before joining the allies in fighting the Nazis during World War II.
    Eventually the war would end and Namor would take on a career of crime fighting on the surface while also battling threats at home such as his evil cousin Byrrah.
    Soon Destiny would strike at Atlantis, and lure the Sub-Mariner into a trap where he would use his powers to strike the prince of Atlantis with amnesia.
    In a final blow, he would cause an explosion that would seemingly kill Princess Fen and Lord Thakorr.
    With Namor blighted with a memory loss, Destiny would go into suspended animation to clash with his foe in five years time.

Namor would wander and eventually end up in New York City, initially attacked by people who recognized him,
    the former Sub-Mariner would gain a disguise and wander off into obscurity, becoming a homeless derelict.
    In recent years while living in a half-way house, Namor would be recognized by the Human Torch, who was living there after briefly quitting the Fantastic Four.

The Torch would remember the war time hero and revive his memory, however Namor finding Atlantis in ruins would wage a war against the surface,
    leading to his first clash against the Fantastic Four, a battle he would lose when the FF would manage to destroy Namor's creature Giganto.

With his recollections over, the Sub-Mariner uses all his strength to break free, revived by some water from the melting ice.

With Destiny long gone, the Sub-Mariner vows to track him down and stop him once and for all.

Written by Roy Thomas. Art by John Buscema and Frank Giacoia.

BANNED

Sub-Mariner #2 Jun 1968
    "Cry... Triton!"
    Continuing from Sub-Mariner #1...
    Namor is still within Destiny’s Arctic hideout and destroys everything in sight.
    He decides to enlist the help of the Fantastic Four to track down his most hated enemy who murdered his mother and grandfather.
    The monarch swims towards New York with inhuman speed and meanwhile within a submarine, Plant Man spots Black Bolt flying overhead.
    The ruler of the Inhumans sends Triton to investigate further and at the same time Prince Namor passes by.
    Seizing this opportunity, Plant Man devises a plan to make the two amphibians destroy each other.
    Using his subs loudspeaker, Plant Man tells Namor to attack Triton who remembers that Namor is a one-time foe of the FF.

Namor is surprised at the sudden command from the unknown source but Triton attacks swiftly.
    Naturally Namor strikes back but when the prince of Atlantis realises Triton knows the FF, he commands the Inhuman to take him to Reed Richards.
    Assuming Namor means his friends harm, Triton continues his attack but soon finds himself outmatched by the Sub-Mariner and the fight ends up crashing through Plant Man's submarine.

Elsewhere, Lady Dorma contemplates whether her beloved Namor is still alive after the recent explosions that rocked Atlantis Tales To Astonish #99
    and decides to go find him. She is stopped by Lord Vashti and Warlord Seth who tell her the Atlanteans need her to guide them in their time of desperation as they evict their now destroyed city.
    Dorma boards the royal ship and leaves with the rest of the Atlanteans to find a new home.

Back to the battle of Sub-Mariner and Triton, Plant Man has used the fight to prepare his new Vega Ray which allows him to instantaneously grown and control any vegetation.
    Using the ray on some seaweed, Plant Man turns the vegetation into a giant creature that captures both fighters.
    Realising they have been tricked into exhausting each other in battle, the pair attempt to free themselves but are trapped inside the submarine with some sort of sinister liquid.
    Outside, the other Inhumans are concerned about Triton and approach the sub but seeing this Plant Man quickly flees in his vessel.

Seeing Namor and Triton are now helpless captives, Plant Man decides to use his new creature to invade London.

Written by Roy Thomas. Art by John Buscema and Frank Giacoia.

Thanks 616. I needed this today. I haven't read this since I reread the entire run in 1990. With Screen Rants article today, on "Namor's New Look"(fashion)re: Avenger #9 they say. I am reminded by a panel on page 5 above, post 426 " Even Without Protective Clothing, Our Prince is Invincible." Namor does not need an emo look. Nor pants under water. Nor armor. Namor is the Avenging Son of Fen....not a teen pop star, nor an Instagram celebrity.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I too believe that Jason Momoa makes for a better Namor than Aquaman.
    I used to think so too...after seeing Justice League...which I liked( for what it is worth and off subject)...Jason's frat boy talk and personality turn me off, for him as Namor. But, I've been a Namor fan for over 50 years. I don't take too kindly to these new fangled ways. Namor would think I am new fangled. Closing in on 100 years old soon. No pretty boy "hairdos" for Namor." Tats are right out.

I don’t know. Aquaman can be rugged but I wouldn’t call namor rugged. Namor has always been sleek, almost metrosexual.

I think Momoa is brilliant casting for Aquaman

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I don’t know. Aquaman can be rugged but I wouldn’t call namor rugged. Namor has always been sleek, almost metrosexual.

I think Momoa is brilliant casting for Aquaman
    Always been more metrosexual? How old are you?....oh, I get it, a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Zing!

But true, Namor being metro doesn’t fit his narative at all.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Come on now, gelled hair, shaved chest, fashions that aren’t afraid to show off his body

Yeah; it is hard for us "old timers", but metrosexual is a term used widely now. Now days, it can be pinned to a guy that just keeps his fingernails trimmed, so I wouldn't call SilverM a troll, just a younger poster with a flair for the current styles and mannerisms of the metro-populace.

Namor is more manly, macho, studly etc...than any hero. Only Hulk is his equal in Manliness. Aquaman, or Seman as he is known in the Super Best Friends, is a silly thing. Fragile and insecure. As for Momoa, he spent his time, before he was famous, on Hawaiian beaches servicing rich Ha-oli ladies (and perhaps some men) with his long dreads, smoking weed , surfing and doing nothing all day. Really.