Page 13 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

"I want a Tom Brady deal. Please ignore the fact that I am nothing like Tom Brady."
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    "I want a Tom Brady deal. Please ignore the fact that I am nothing like Tom Brady."
    Exactly that. Brady lucked into a once in a million sort of situation with Tampa, and there's ZERO guarantee lightning will strike twice for any other QB.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Exactly that. Brady lucked into a once in a million sort of situation with Tampa, and there's ZERO guarantee lightning will strike twice for any other QB.
    Plus Brady had a proven long term track record before going to Tampa.
    Dark does not mean deep.

According to sources, Deshaun Watson met with new Texans coach David Culley and informed him that he has no intention of ever suiting up for the Texan again. However the Texans are still telling teams they have no intention of trading Watson, so it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. The Texans get killed with dead money towards the smaller cap if they trade Watson this year, so Watson may have to sit out a year and pay all the ensuing fines for not reporting to camp if he is serious about not suiting up and the Texans don't give in and trade him.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ed-sources-say

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Everyday they sit on him, the less they get.

Why not trade him now before you have to eat a ton of dead money?

Swap him and Wilson and go, "WHOOPS! Wrong Texas team!" Lol.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Everyday they sit on him, the less they get.

Why not trade him now before you have to eat a ton of dead money?

Swap him and Wilson and go, "WHOOPS! Wrong Texas team!" Lol.
    Wilson has the no trade clause, can't be dealt where he doesn't want to go, and Houston has to eat about $22 million in dead money if they trade him at any point this offseason, it doesn't get worse if they wait.

from the article:

Trading Watson would cost the Texans $21.6 million in dead money against this year's salary cap -- a significant hit since his cap number if he's on the team is just $15.94 million.

Any team acquiring the young superstar would get a tremendous bargain in 2021, as Watson is scheduled to earn just $10.54 million in salary this year before that number jumps to $35 million in 2022, $37 million in 2023 and $32 million each in 2024 and 2025.

If the Texans choose not to trade Watson, he could opt not to report to mandatory team activities or training camp, but at a cost. Houston can fine Watson $95,877 for missing minicamp and can fine him $50,000 per day for each day of training camp missed, plus one week's salary -- $620,000 -- for each preseason game missed. In the unlikely scenario that Watson chooses to retire, the Texans can collect $21.6 million
    So Houston gains nothing in terms of lessening the cap hit if they trade him sooner. They may get more in return since Watson is a bargain next year, but it doesn't help their cap situation any if they trade him, and if they force him to "retire" they get the $21.6 million back, so it is in their financial best interest to wait or not trade him. In terms of return on trade, they benefit by trading him earlier. So it remains to be seen which benefit they will lean towards. As spiteful as that ownership team is, I'd guess they refuse to trade him and force Watson's hand rather than take the cap hit and let someone else have him at a bargain price.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    According to sources, Deshaun Watson met with new Texans coach David Culley and informed him that he has no intention of ever suiting up for the Texan again. However the Texans are still telling teams they have no intention of trading Watson, so it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. The Texans get killed with dead money towards the smaller cap if they trade Watson this year, so Watson may have to sit out a year and pay all the ensuing fines for not reporting to camp if he is serious about not suiting up and the Texans don't give in and trade him.

-M
    Can't say I'm surprised Watson wasn't willing to give new head coach David Culley a chance. Hell, he probably saw Culley as nothing more than a lackey for Cal McNair and the stooges in the front office, further strengthening his resolve to never play for the Texans again. As for Houston, their options are few, just like the Rockets with James Harden, the Texans can play hardball with Watson until the cows come home, but, as with the Rockets, the end result will be the same....they'll lose and have to trade Watson. So, they might as well avoid postponing the inevitable and pull the trigger now while his value is high.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 02-26-2021 at 02:56 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

-M
    Normally, I hate the idea of players sitting out and not honoring their contracts. But given how I've read all the stories about the utter clusterfuck that Houston has become, I'm more sorry that more players on the team aren't refusing to play for them anymore.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Normally, I hate the idea of players sitting out and not honoring their contracts. But given how I've read all the stories about the utter clusterfuck that Houston has become, I'm more sorry that more players on the team aren't refusing to play for them anymore.
    Huston I think has taken Cincys place as the most messed up team in the league.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    NFL News...

- In a sign that Carson Wentz arrival in Indy isn't gonna be as warm welcomed ; he called Michael Pittman Jr. about getting #11 off him. Usually a younger player gives the veteran the number or sales it to them. Pittman claimed he told Wentz he couldn't have the number. Wentz being a good sport understood and will switch his number. Pittman later claimed how excited he was to play with Wentz. (but lets be honest , the 1st interaction you have with your future QB is you telling him no switching a jersey number ? Really ?).
    I dont know. I am not too upset with this. Why should a guy have to give up his number? This is his number for the first team he has played with, maybe he wants to keep it for that reason. maybe he has a personal connection to the number outside of football. We really dont know and to be honest outside of I dont want to give up my number it is none of our business why he doesnt want to give it up. yet everyone one talk radio and stuff wants to jump the guys crap for not being a team player.

Wentz said he understands but if he or Hell any player holds a grudge to another for not giving up a number they need to grow the Hell up. If team unity is hurt by not giving up a number then the team and players have a lot more problems then just that.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I dont know. I am not too upset with this. Why should a guy have to give up his number? This is his number for the first team he has played with, maybe he wants to keep it for that reason. maybe he has a personal connection to the number outside of football. We really dont know and to be honest outside of I dont want to give up my number it is none of our business why he doesnt want to give it up. yet everyone one talk radio and stuff wants to jump the guys crap for not being a team player.

Wentz said he understands but if he or Hell any player holds a grudge to another for not giving up a number they need to grow the Hell up. If team unity is hurt by not giving up a number then the team and players have a lot more problems then just that.
    Well on sports talk radio's defense, this is a lean time of year. Locally here they haven't spent much time with it, we've got a terrible IU Basketball program right now to keep the airwaves warm. I like Pittman, he kinda slowed as the season went on but I have high hopes for him. These kind of things tend to work themselves out behind the scenes.

For me, the biggest issue is that, the player requesting it is *ahem*, CARSON FKN WENTZ, GET THE FK OUTTA HERE!

NOT AARON ROGERS,
    NOT DREW BREES,
    NOT PEYTON MANNING,
    NOT THAT TURKEY IN TAMPA BAY,

A DUDE THAT GOT BENCHED FOR A ROOKIE, AND THEN ESSENTIALLY GOT THAT COACH FIRED!! MANNNN...

but yes, these things tend to work themselves out behind the scenes. Where are my pills btw.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

Its more a show of respect of a younger player towards a veteran really. A lot of times a young player will do that for the veteran. Now the only times it hasn't happened is the rare case if a legend has the number retired more or less. When Montana joined KC in 1993 , Len Dawson's #16 was retired number wise. Dawson told Montana he'd gladly give him the number if he wanted ! But Joe had respect for Dawson who had that number retired years earlier. So he he picked #19.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Well on sports talk radio's defense, this is a lean time of year. Locally here they haven't spent much time with it, we've got a terrible IU Basketball program right now to keep the airwaves warm. I like Pittman, he kinda slowed as the season went on but I have high hopes for him. These kind of things tend to work themselves out behind the scenes.

For me, the biggest issue is that, the player requesting it is *ahem*, CARSON FKN WENTZ, GET THE FK OUTTA HERE!

NOT AARON ROGERS,
    NOT DREW BREES,
    NOT PEYTON MANNING,
    NOT THAT TURKEY IN TAMPA BAY,

A DUDE THAT GOT BENCHED FOR A ROOKIE, AND THEN ESSENTIALLY GOT THAT COACH FIRED!! MANNNN...

but yes, these things tend to work themselves out behind the scenes. Where are my pills btw.
    Getting the coach fired might be Wentz' biggest accomplishment as an Eagle.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Wilson has the no trade clause, can't be dealt where he doesn't want to go, and Houston has to eat about $22 million in dead money if they trade him at any point this offseason, it doesn't get worse if they wait.

from the article:

So Houston gains nothing in terms of lessening the cap hit if they trade him sooner. They may get more in return since Watson is a bargain next year, but it doesn't help their cap situation any if they trade him, and if they force him to "retire" they get the $21.6 million back, so it is in their financial best interest to wait or not trade him. In terms of return on trade, they benefit by trading him earlier. So it remains to be seen which benefit they will lean towards. As spiteful as that ownership team is, I'd guess they refuse to trade him and force Watson's hand rather than take the cap hit and let someone else have him at a bargain price.

-M
    I know Wilson has to waive his no-trade clause in order to go anywhere.

It was a joke ...

In terms of value, trading Watson now garners more than later.

Let's say he sits out the WHOLE season.

Do you really think anybody is going to want to surrender a #1 or even a single #2 pick for somebody that just sat out the season?

Strike while the iron's hot, trade him now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Getting the coach fired might be Wentz' biggest accomplishment as an Eagle.
    Hmmp, sayin' not sayin', if Sirianni drinks beer or not but I reserve the right that may need a holder for it in 2021.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.