Page 301 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 2012512912972982993003013023033043053113514018011301 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,515 of 75153
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Honestly, you are so wrapped up in political ideology I really find it's hopeless arguing with you. I have already stated that past history was biased and glorified colonization, but the cannon has been expanded in history now, and as I have said it covers issues of gender and race inequality more so than the great man theory, or scientific and technical innovations, which once again is a not a bad thing. Last I checked it wasn't the 1950's.

The problem is not with the History Departments which for the most part, Hobsbawmism influence aside, act like an empirical science. The problem is with sociology and social anthropology courses that utilize critical theory, and politicize history to present western civilization in wholly negative light, through subjective methods of deconstruction and interrogation.

There is no political conspiracy, it's well known that western marxism and post modernism has had a huge impact on the humanities departments, and they tend to be overtly political and subjective. Interrogating rock bands like AC/DC and Led Zeppelin to uncover their implicit whiteness to see how they uphold white patriarchal values is both highly subjective and political. Analyzing western civilization soley through the lens of seeing it as negatively genocidal and colonial is also subjective and political.

Listen to what I am saying clearly. History should not be utilized for political ends or indoctrination on the right or the left,it should soley be an empirical science!. It should not be used to glorify Davy Crockett past colonial endeavors of the past on the right, and on the flip side it should not be used to paint western civilization as primarily a genocidal machine on the left. When you cherry pick from history for political ends you damage it as a science. You however do not want to agree with this, because you desire to use history as a political weapon to back your ideology.
    With all due respect, who's interrogating ACDC for their "implicit whiteness"? Led Zep has gotten some flack, but that's less about them being white and playing blues riffs and more about them stealing songs ( for what it's worth, they did it to white musicians as well). Both bands have been criticized for being sexist, but that has nothing to do with post-modernism, they've literally had those criticisms since their earliest albums (45-50 yrs ago).
    Last edited by ed2962; 06-20-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    As someone who was sometimes the only black kid in the class I know a lot of it depends on where you go to school and who your teachers are.

And as someone who has likewise pointed out that Republicans continually argue against increasing education spending and have representatives and voters who still openly promote segregation, minority voter suppression, and white supremacy, it's clear to me where the problem lies.

Regardless, there's no reason why you shouldn't have learned the "ugly" facts about American history in class when you were older.

It's beyond redundant at this point for me to keep pointing out that those who don't learn from the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat it.
    I didn't mention that many of the teaching staff at the schools I went to were black. But more to the point, the text books were probably very "sanitized" for lack of a better term. The emphasis was on Lincoln's role and then the positive things like George Washington Carver, Martin Luther King and maybe a little about Frederick Douglass. It was long ago so hard to remember. But definitely nothing like Twelve Years a Slave

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Comey basically said in interviews that he'd rather see Trump voted out than removed from office.

I don't doubt Mueller shares the same perspective.

Yet another case of Republicans expecting Democrats to clean up the mess that they created.
    I'd go along with that but this election still has me worried, esp after what happened in Georgia. I voted in person in the primary and did the early voting. I will probably do the same. Our area isn't that heavily populated and if they do open up the polling site for early voting I will use that opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Can this level of stupidity be outlawed?

Twitter Link with Video

------------

Twitter Link
    The level of stupid is off the charts.

64DB2754-FC51-4008-A94B-315BDF268F08.jpg

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I guess my situation was out of the norm I suppose. I lived in a city that experienced the "White Flight" of the 1970s" Besides my brother, who was promoted to my same grade, we were the only white kids in class. So we never heard the sanitized stuff about the good ol' "Dixie". But on the other hand, they didn't get into the horrific details of slavery either, probably because they felt we were all too young
    It depends on what school district you went to and what books were avaialbe for your school library to order.

Remember what got put in front of your to read had to be approved at the school baord level and the state level.

I remember looking at a catalog from Scholastic about what graphic novel (trades) we could order.

The only book with a person of color we could get was HULK. We couldn't even order X-men with Storm. This was 17 years ago.

Then folks wonder why you had schools asking for diverse books.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    That first quote is only half right. The other half is that one side plays it one way, with facts, and the other side plays it another way, with bullshit. What I don't understand is how someone can have the facts presented right in his face, and still side with the bullshit.
    Because to accept the facts means having to admit Trump was wrong, and for his lemmings, that’s a bridge too far.

Meanwhile, I’ve heard that six members of Trump’s staff in Tulsa tested positive for coronavirus. To quote the esteemed Scooby-Doo....Ruh-roh!

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...t-positive-for
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

You cant make this stuff up.

BANNED

Amazing! You just made my case and point. You just made two overtly political claims, that American history is one of genocide and slavery, but that stuff about freedom and democracy has been invented for political ends. That is not how history works!!! You don't get to cherry pick to utilize it for political ends as you are doing. History has to be studied as an empirical science in all it's parts holistically, the good and the bad, and judged in the evolutionary time period it existed in, not by today's moral standards. From there we can make judgements. (Ie; African Americans and Native Americans should be granted reparations for the crimes of the past) (Confederate flags and monuments) should be removed, as I am sure you agree both should happen.
    It seems that, to you, ANY type of analysis or critical thinking about historical events is "political" and that history should just be a dry recitation of dates and figures. However, even that wouldn't really help your case, because in terms of statistics, the vast numbers of people who died and suffered at the hands of colonial masters is well known, whereas the benefits created by such a regime are less easily quantified.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

AG Barr says in a letter to Manhattan US Attorney Geoffrey Berman that Trump has now officially fired him, and that's that, rejecting any argument by Berman that a judicial appointment means he can't be removed.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

They've been all over BOK for days... the entire event, if not decontaminated, potentially have the virus their while those who tested positive were contagious, but not yet testing positive yesterday.

These Covidiots are gonna go in there and find indirect sources to pick the virus up from. Any bathroom, any doorhandle that hasn't been wiped down that a staffer could have contaminated.

To say nothing of if the morons outside are already contagious but pass a temperature check while asymptomatic.

This thing is a petri dish for the worst people, and I'm thinking about public health, but on the other hand, it's hard not to just sit here and watch Trump host it like:

X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    It seems that, to you, ANY type of analysis or critical thinking about historical events is "political" and that history should just be a dry recitation of dates and figures. However, even that wouldn't really help your case, because in terms of statistics, the vast numbers of people who died and suffered at the hands of colonial masters is well known, whereas the benefits created by such a regime are less easily quantified.
    Not at all, history should just be treated as an empirical science and not a ideological political weapon, otherwise it loses all credibility. It does help my case because I am not making a political argument, I am making a scientific one. You want to use history politically and subjectively for your political ends, I want to defend it as an objective science.

BANNED

Not at all, history should just be treated as an empirical science and not a ideological political weapon, otherwise it loses all credibility. It does help my case because I am not making a political argument, I am making a scientific one. You want to use history politically and subjectively for your political ends, I want to defend it as an objective science.
    Except history is not and has never been a science, and approaching it like one would be lunacy. Taking what Egyptian pharaohs carved into stone at face value would lead you to a much shallower understanding of their civilization than if you applied a critical filter and understood the writings within the sociopolitical context in which they were written.

And honestly, it's not really a good look to scream bias just because the facts are going against you. There is zero evidence that the history departments have been overtaken by Marxists as you claim, it's just that by incorporating more varied sources and applying a more rigorous analysis the general understanding of the past has improved and thus disproved a lot of long-held notions, often to the detriment to the legacy of certain historical figures. The George Washington we grew up admiring was always a propaganda creation, the more closely we examine the actual man the more flaws we will find.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 06-20-2020 at 01:22 PM.

You guys are really good at discussing the past while your country is going down the toilet in the present, you know that?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Except history is not and has never been a science, and approaching it like one would be lunacy. Taking what Egyptian pharaohs carved into stone at face value would lead you to a much shallower understanding of their civilization than if you applied a critical filter and understood the writings within the sociopolitical context in which they were written.
    Again, it's not the 1950's pwrdon. Today historians utilize scientific methods by gathering empirical evidence from primary sources to provide us with information about the past. They do not politicize history for their own political gains like you do, that would be considered unethical, and would discredit the history departments as a whole.

Newest development:

Minutes ago, Trump denied ordering Barr to fire Berman, meaning Bill Barr lied to illegally remove a US attorney from his post.

Hillary was right!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    You guys are really good at discussing the past while your country is going down the toilet in the present, you know that?
    Well I'm sure that once Joe Biden is elected, everything will be all better, so I got nothing to worry about.

Again, it's not the 1950's pwrdon. Today historians utilize scientific methods by gathering empirical evidence from primary sources to provide us with information about the past. They do not politicize history for their own political gains like you do, that would be considered unethical, and would discredit the history departments as a whole.
    Scientific methods? How would you design an experiment to test if Washington was a racist piece of **** or not?