Amazing Member

Default The world War 2 B.P.R.D. files

Do you guys remember the word war 2 files and photos that Johann discovered in B.P.R.D.: The dead chapter 3 (second omnibus)? Back then, when I first read it, I was fascinated by those awesome designs by Guy Davis and wondered if we'd ever learn more about those monsters.

And since then, we have! Well, mostly, I think. There's 6 of them. On the left page, the first one is The Black Flame on top of the plane in the second Sledgehammer 44 mini series (Lightning war, man that was a great one!). The second pic is of the Crimson Lotus. She appeared in Lobster Johnson: A Scent of Lotus (what a great mini series, too!). Then there's one from 1937 from New York that says unknown. Did we see that in one of the Lobster Johnson series? I don't remember that. From Iron Prometheus, perhaps?

On to the second page. On the first photo it's written Melines and says it's from 1944. No idea what that one is. Anybody? Then it's that weird Nazi scientist with the big crystal eyes that we saw in The Lightning War and finally in the last picture we have Sledgehammer himself.

I was quite surprised revisiting those drawing to find out that since then, there's only two of the photos we do not know about. If i'm not mistaken of course about them. I'm guessing that the one from 1937 we'll see it happen in the pages of Lobster Johnson down the road. But as for the Melines one, no idea. That's at the end of the war. And I'm dying to know more about that one. Or see more of the Crimson Lotus, for that matter.

Anyone else is as fascinated by those files as I? It showed back then that Mignola and co. had a rich history to tell and so much mystery. If anybody else can pinpoint the last two pics, I'd be delighted.
    Last edited by fred25_ca; 12-09-2015 at 09:16 AM.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by fred25_ca View Post
    Do you guys remember the word war 2 files and photos that Johann discovered in B.P.R.D.: The dead chapter 3 (second omnibus)? Back then, when I first read it, I was fascinated by those awesome designs by Guy Davis and wondered if we'd ever learn more about those monsters.

And since then, we have! Well, mostly, I think. There's 6 of them. On the left page, the first one is The Black Flame on top of the plane in the second Sledgehammer 44 mini series (Lightning war, man that was a great one!). The second pic is of the Crimson Lotus. She appeared in Lobster Johnson: A Scent of Lotus (what a great mini series, too!). Then there's one from 1937 from New York that says unknown. Did we see that in one of the Lobster Johnson series? I don't remember that. From Iron Prometheus, perhaps?

On to the second page. On the first photo it's written Melines and says it's from 1944. No idea what that one is. Anybody? Then it's that weird Nazi scientist with the big crystal eyes that we saw in The Lightning War and finally in the last picture we have Sledgehammer himself.

I was quite surprised revisiting those drawing to find out that since then, there's only two of the photos we do not know about. If i'm not mistaken of course about them. I'm guessing that the one from 1937 we'll see it happen in the pages of Lobster Johnson down the road. But as for the Melines one, no idea. That's at the end of the war. And I'm dying to know more about that one. Or see more of the Crimson Lotus, for that matter.

Anyone else is as fascinated by those files as I? It showed back then that Mignola and co. had a rich history to tell and so much mystery. If anybody else can pinpoint the last two pics, I'd be delighted.
    Those files are great. Very interesting. I think the "Unknown: 1937" guy is Memnaan Saa, as he appeared in Lobster Johnson: The Iron Prometheus.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    Those files are great. Very interesting. I think the "Unknown: 1937" guy is Memnaan Saa, as he appeared in Lobster Johnson: The Iron Prometheus.
    That's what I though at first, but it says "before armory was blown up" or something like that. Sounds like a government armory from the description and I do not remember Memnaan Saa doing any of that. And the creature looks old and not quite like him but I might see more into it than I should.

I think it is Memnan Saa, just not a story of his we've seen. Just hints that he was out there at that point, before he had shown up in the main series

I'm writing a Hell Notes that mentions this topic. Hopefully I'll finish it over the weekend.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    I'm writing a Hell Notes that mentions this topic. Hopefully I'll finish it over the weekend.
    I'm looking forward to it.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Awesome, those hell notes are wonderful. Looking forward to it!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    I think it is Memnan Saa, just not a story of his we've seen. Just hints that he was out there at that point, before he had shown up in the main series
    You were right, I just finished rereading all of Hell on earth, and there's an issue in which we clearly see a close up of the picture and it's Memnan Saa. My bad. Pretty impressive that since then, outside of one picture, they've explained all of the characters photographed! Let's hope we learn one day about Melines. Or did I miss that one and we also already know what it is?

The Claw of Justice!

You were right, I just finished rereading all of Hell on earth, and there's an issue in which we clearly see a close up of the picture and it's Memnan Saa. My bad. Pretty impressive that since then, outside of one picture, they've explained all of the characters photographed! Let's hope we learn one day about Melines. Or did I miss that one and we also already know what it is?
    I don't think we've seen that one yet, as far as I know.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    I don't think we've seen that one yet, as far as I know.
    Actually, it appears we were both wrong. I just began reading 1948 and guess what just showed up? That melines monster. In the second issue, he attacks the professor and then gets shot in the face. I'm pretty sure that's him since in the picture he looks pretty much the same but he's coming out of a hole. So if i'm not mistaken, we've actually gotten to know all the characters in the ww2 files!

The Claw of Justice!

Actually, it appears we were both wrong. I just began reading 1948 and guess what just showed up? That melines monster. In the second issue, he attacks the professor and then gets shot in the face. I'm pretty sure that's him since in the picture he looks pretty much the same but he's coming out of a hole. So if i'm not mistaken, we've actually gotten to know all the characters in the ww2 files!
    Good catch.