10 25.64%
  • It's fine as long as he's f###ing Wolvie

17 43.59%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    That would be Xavier
    Xavier is Merlin or Moira would be now while one of the two or both

BANNED

Cyclops shouldn't have died on the first place.
    That being said making the X-men the Cyclops and Emma show since Morrison was definitely a mistake.
    the fact that Marvel keeps making him an unpologetic douche for Emma/scemma's sake makes everything worse.
    Last edited by JanBlackfyre; 11-15-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Cyke is awesome! Despair! The Jeeper 2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Was bringing Scott back a mistake? No. Killing him in the first place I would say was a mistake. Making him turn into Dark Phoenix was a dumb idea. Having him kill Xavier was bad in my opinion. The mutant hitler bit was beyond the pale, but I think rightclops fans must move on form it. Scott had a complete arc and he became a complex character which is good, but there is a down side when characters kind of take over the entire (or most of) story.

I've always loved Cyclops but at times he could be a bit dull. Scott became a great character under Morrison. I loved what Morrison did with Scott. I was excited to purchase every issue of New X-men because I was so eager to see the story for both Cyclops and Jean Grey. In regards to Scott, Whedon took the ball and ran with it and further developed him. Then all the other writers continued the saga of Cyclops, leader of the mutant people: Brubaker, Fraction, Bendis etc.

Scott was the star of the X-men. It had became his story and I feel this is where it all went off the rails. The X-men has to be more than a story of a white straight dude. I like that Scott is captain commander but I think the books should be careful not to make it all about him. Scott is Xavier's general, but other characters like Storm, Jean Grey, Wolverine are also vital. I think when one character gets a huge push you see pushback from fans (see Kitty Pryde in X-men Gold, etc).

I do love the first two issues of Hickman's X-men but we've had years of the Scott show up until his death. We had what a two year break and now he's back to being Mr. X-man....the best field leader (which I always find disrespectful towards Storm who to me should always co-lead with Scott). I do like that Hickman appreciates Scott Summers. I like that they are putting his darker days behind him. I am glad so many fans can identify with him. I just hope those same fans can identify with other characters who may not be like them in the same way Scott is.
    As a black gay man, I disagree that a white, straight dude as the lead is a problem. We have many characters to get different view points. Cyke was there from the beginning and no amount of political correctness should change his role in the X-Men.
    "Listen to me...you can't kill an idea. It always comes back. Resurrected. Or reborn...into a different form." - Cyclops, Secret Wars

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Sentiments like this are so disappointing to me, no matter how many times I hear it. I won't comment on Cyke as a character but ANY franchise that has a monopoly on the POV especially in a team setting is on a course for eventual failure imo. What's worse is the X-men have an entire cast of unique and dynamic individuals its just their investment to the narrative by most writers are often lacking.
    X-men is on the brink of failure since Morrison. Writers started to write for their favorites.

X-men becoming a one man show was a major mistake

Quote Originally Posted by The Jeeper 2.0 View Post
    As a black gay man, I disagree that a white, straight dude as the lead is a problem. We have many characters to get different view points. Cyke was there from the beginning and no amount of political correctness should change his role in the X-Men.
    X-men are stand in for minorities. Imagine the civil rights being lead by a white guy instead of Luther king or macolm X

That i swhy X-men rarely gets its metaphor across the public

I agree with you so much on this. I’m a Hispanic man but I have no problem with cyclops being a figurehead of the x-men. But also that’s why I loved the idea of Sage being part of the original x-men group a spy yes but still a x-man her being middle eastern and part of the founding member of the original x-men who are all white would be amazing

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    X-men is on the brink of failure since Morrison. Writers started to write for their favorites.

X-men becoming a one man show was a major mistake

X-men are stand in for minorities. Imagine the civil rights being lead by a white guy instead of Luther king or macolm X

That i swhy X-men rarely gets its metaphor across the public
    I do not care. X-Men have been around since 1963, we don't need political correctness to infect these books in this manner. They have a diverse cast and Cyclops can't be replaced just because he himself wouldn't be a minority in our world.

Since Superman is an alien and a stand in for immigrants should we color his skin as well?
    "Listen to me...you can't kill an idea. It always comes back. Resurrected. Or reborn...into a different form." - Cyclops, Secret Wars

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Since Superman is an alien and a stand in for immigrants should we color his skin as well?
    Don't jinx it.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

As another black gay male, I couldn't disagree more, ANY singular voice as the lead of a franchise or anything with a multitude of characters is a problem. Your second point brilliantly identifies that, just because he was there first doesn't legitimatize his claim on the franchise's narrative anymore than it would to Beast, Angel, or Iceman.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    As another black gay male, I couldn't disagree more, ANY singular voice as the lead of a franchise or anything with a multitude of characters is a problem. Your second point brilliantly identifies that, just because he was there first doesn't legitimatize his claim on the franchise's narrative anymore than it would to Beast, Angel, or Iceman.
    This is why we cannot have nice things. These agendas...no one said he had a claim on the franchise's narrative. We don't need to create or push minorities to the top for these stories to have impact.

This is why we cannot have nice things. These agendas...no one said he had a claim on the franchise's narrative. We don't need to create or push minorities to the top for these stories to have impact.
    Why have a white person is not a agenda?

without a agnda X-men or black panther would never exist
    Last edited by spirit2011; 11-15-2019 at 03:32 PM.

BANNED

What is wrong with Cyclops being white?
    If he was black or japanese there would be no trouble?
    I'm not a white person and I couldn't careless about Cyclops being white, or any other character race, what should matter is who the character is.

But hey I guess being white is another of Cyclops crimes these days.

Quote Originally Posted by JanBlackfyre View Post
    What is wrong with Cyclops being white?
    If he was black or japanese there would be no trouble?
    I'm not a white person and I couldn't careless about Cyclops being white, or any other character race, what should matter is who the character is.

But hey I guess being white is another of Cyclops crimes these days.
    Yeah on social media everyone is making the "straight, white, male" the enemy. I get it. But I think people need to be more forgiving and educate others rather than push their agenda upon the rest of us. Being an X-Man fan and reconciling this can be tough for some.

BANNED

Being white is a vital component of Cyclops character. He wouldn't have the importance, history or fans he has now if he was another ethnicity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Being white is a vital component of Cyclops character. He wouldn't have the importance, history or fans he has now if he was another ethnicity.
    Well he is white for right of wrong but how is the color of his skin a problem?

BANNED

Yeah on social media everyone is making the "straight, white, male" the enemy. I get it. But I think people need to be more forgiving and educate others rather than push their agenda upon the rest of us. Being an X-Man fan and reconciling this can be tough for some.
    and one doesn't need to be white to like the character. I'm a mixed Mexican/Colombian and I love Cyclops.
    The character or being a fan of him is nothing evil or racist. It doesn't mean people of different races or sexualities can't like a character that is different than them