Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Crows View Post
    That brings to mind something I’ve been thinking about in regards to the Rami films—did every villain really need a personal connection to Peter Parker? In the first Spider-Man, Norman was his best friend’s dad. In Spider-Man 2, Otto took the role of a tragic mentor figure. In Spider-Man 3, Sandman just happened to be Uncle Ben’s killer, and Peter worked with Venom. I loved those movies for the most part, but it’s a little weird that in a city of millions, the only four or so people who gain super powers just so happen to know Peter Parker in their personal lives. In TASM2, I liked that Electro never met Peter in his civilian identity.
    I'm not a big fan of all the inter-connectivity among the characters in either the Raimi or Webb films. But I think it adds cohesiveness to the films for general audiences, making the movies more palatable. Even so, people are complaining that ASM2 had too many balls in the air. Agree that Electro was a refreshing take on a Spidey villain. Same goes for Rhino. Neither of them had any connection with Peter, but were just bad guys he had to stop. That was nice.

BTW the Oscorp connection to everything isn't my favorite thing about the Ultimate Spider-Man series (and ASM2 by transfer) but I've gotten used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by DV1Band View Post
    He might have just been in shock...
    Oh no you didn't! Lol.

Electro had become Dr. Manhattan by the end, and I see no reason for Spidey to think it was even possible to kill him. With his ridiculous power set at the time, nobody would hold back for any reason.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 05-14-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Saw the movie today, enjoyed it a lot glad they kept the Rhino out of the main story. Hoping the Vulture makes the next film.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4...-spider-man-2/

Cracked.com put up another article slamming TASM 2. But I gotta agree with a lot of the points here.

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post

Cracked.com put up another article slamming TASM 2. But I gotta agree with a lot of the points here.
    they're bashing the costume? Dear. Cracked for the most part puts up some very nice articles but these Spidey articles are straight up horrible & made for the sake of hating. Sure ASM2 has its flaws but a lot of the criticism is unjustified. There simply is no pleasing some people.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post

TBH, I really liked the costume. I think its the best live-action one so far.

Yeah Spidey's costume was one of the best things in the film. Cracked gets most of their other arguments right tho.

BANNED

I wouldnt put too much stock in what all these critics say. It was the same with Man of Steel. Critics made it sound like it was one of the worst movies ever made which its really not. In fact I loved MoS much more than Nolans Dark Knight Rises. And although Rises received critical acclaim (87 % at rottentomatoes) I have a heard a lot of Batman fans being disappointed with it.

I personally think that ASM 2 is the 2nd best Spidey movie made yet (second only to Raimis 2nd film) and for every flaw the movie has, it has also something awesome going for it. characterization and tone has never been better, the action and effects are outstanding, Peter and Gwen are the best onscreen couple of the genre since Chris Reeve and Margot Kidder and the movie is by far the most emotionally powerful Spidey movie yet. And oh yeah the costume looks awesome. You can only hate it if you also hate the classic costume from the comics, otherwise it makes no sense.

Its not the best Spidey costume in live action yet though. That award still goes to the black suit from Spider-Man 3. say what you will about that film but the black suit looked really awesome even thought it wasnt the classic Venom design

Ultimate Member

Quite honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of the Rhino ending. It struck me as a really tacked-on "we cannot ever have a sad ending" type of thing. I would have ended the movie with Peter visiting Gwen's grave. I would open TASM 3 with him still doing that, with him in a not so great place emotionally or psychologically, contemplating all of the people that he failed to save (Uncle Ben, the Stacy's, and even Harry and Electro to a certain degree). Then he has to refind his purpose as this new threat emerges (Mysterio hopefully). Also, I'd introduce MJ, but have them only be friends in this movie (any potential romance could be saved for TASM 4).

I hear people compare Electro in this movie is equalized to Schumacher Bat-villains
    Now, I love all three movies (yes, I honestly love Batman & Robin), but Schumacher villains are honestly done better, the way Electro was adapted for this movie is bottom of the barrel low
    Too weak, too geeky, too unfriended, an unnoticed nobody, and almost completely gutless, not someone to seize an opportunity once the boss shows up to show off his invention or tell the company head (indirectly): "This mini boss is a jerk"
    And once he was turned to Electro, he was still bottom of the barrel, untrusty, easily turned, despite Spider-Man near him telling cops straight up to not shoot sparkles, he's Spidey's friend, Electro just takes his frustration on Spider-Man, and blames the first guy to notice him and make him happy for being Max Dillon
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Fantastic Member

They lost me on the first series how many spidey movies do we need . Like the hulk different actors each time . Kinda hard to want to follow a story like that .

Astonishing Member

I actually think all this nay saying is a little over the top. This is a overexposure of a character moment. Cranking out these movies like they have its inevitable that people just start to become a little bored. It really is very similar to the original batman run. The movie is still doing decent money and overseas its doing very good money. I just think spidey needs a good break. Batman had a big break after Batman and Robin, and it it will be 4 years between Rises and Batman V Superman which will increase the interest to see him on the big screen again. Plus they are presenting batman in a totally different way each time. Cranking out these spidey films like Macdonalds cranks out Big Macs its no surprise this happened. People like Big Macs but they do get a little bored with them and go looking for something else at times.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I actually think all this nay saying is a little over the top. This is a overexposure of a character moment. Cranking out these movies like they have its inevitable that people just start to become a little bored. It really is very similar to the original batman run. The movie is still doing decent money and overseas its doing very good money. I just think spidey needs a good break. Batman had a big break after Batman and Robin, and it it will be 4 years between Rises and Batman V Superman which will increase the interest to see him on the big screen again. Plus they are presenting batman in a totally different way each time. Cranking out these spidey films like Macdonalds cranks out Big Macs its no surprise this happened. People like Big Macs but they do get a little bored with them and go looking for something else at times.
    There was a gap of 5 years between Spider-Man 3 and ASM 1. Why should Sony sit on the rights for this character and not do anything with it after 5 years? that would be dumb. Marvel is also "cranking out" (you seem very fond of that word) Spider-Man comic books every month for the last 50 years now but Sony isnt allowed to release a new Spider-Man movie after 5 years? The James Bond actors change all the time after 5 movies or so and people are okay with it. As long as there is interest these movies will (and should be) continue to be produced.
    Last edited by Slade Wilson; 05-18-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slade Wilson View Post
    There was a gap of 5 years between Spider-Man 3 and ASM 1. Why should Sony sit on the rights for this character and not do anything with it after 5 years? that would be dumb. Marvel is also "cranking out" (you seem very fond of that word) Spider-Man comic books every month for the last 50 years now but Sony isnt allowed to release a new Spider-Man movie after 5 years? The James Bond actors change all the time after 5 movies or so and people are okay with it. As long as there is interest these movies will (and should be) continue to be produced.
    I see alot of people compare these type of films to bond films. First of all Bond has had some really low points and has had to redoo things constantly. Its doing well now. But they were putting out stuff that was sub-par for years. But regardless bond and spidey are not the same. The bond stories that can be done are almost unlimited in a way. But yes it keeps a similar theme. Spidey is a hero in new york. He fights bad guys. Not much more you can do except try and present it in a different way all the time. Thats really difficult. There is more going on here than just its not a very good spidey movie. Domestically people are just not that interested as they were. But to me I dont see whats wrong with the box office its bringing in at all. Most movies would kill for these numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade Wilson View Post
    In retrospect, Sony made several big mistakes. Looking at the box office of The Dark Knight Rises, as well as Twilight and Harry Potter finales, they probably should have been more accommodating to Raimi and let him do Spider-Man 4 the way he wanted. Although if this had happened, Garfield would probably have been too old when it was time for the reboot.

Having a mystery at Oscorp a big part of The Amazing Spider-Man tied the hands of the filmmakers, necessitating the appearances of characters who had been a major part of the Raimi trilogy.

Webb was given limited time to make a sequel, and had to deal with multiple restrictions, including setting up spinoff films, which also necessitated multiple villains. And because Sony had hired directors for spinoffs and set dates for the sequels, it meant Webb couldn't ask for delays.

It's possible that the film will not be able to recoup all the costs, which defeats its purpose for Sony, a studio otherwise hemmorrhaging money.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...ng-spider-man/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I see alot of people compare these type of films to bond films. First of all Bond has had some really low points and has had to redoo things constantly. Its doing well now. But they were putting out stuff that was sub-par for years. But regardless bond and spidey are not the same. The bond stories that can be done are almost unlimited in a way. But yes it keeps a similar theme. Spidey is a hero in new york. He fights bad guys. Not much more you can do except try and present it in a different way all the time. Thats really difficult. There is more going on here than just its not a very good spidey movie. Domestically people are just not that interested as they were. But to me I dont see whats wrong with the box office its bringing in at all. Most movies would kill for these numbers.
    I never compared the Spidey films with the Bond films in terms of content. Obviously we are dealing with two even different genres here. All I am saying is that the Bond movies change their actors and reboot stuff and people are okay with it. the current Bond films are a reboot as well and they made Bond more popular than he had been in decades. Obviously we had the Batman and Superman reboots as well now (Though there was a much larger time gap between those and the original films). The comics do different versions of the characters all the time, why should the movies be forced to wait years until they could do another version of something. Personally I could not be more glad that Sony did the Spidey reboot. Otherwise we would still be stuck with whiny emo Spider-Man who was nothing like the Spidey in the comics. Garfields version is such a better adaptation of the character and the tone of the Spider-man comics. This reboot should have been done 10 years ago IMO.