Page 979 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 47987992996997597697797897998098198298398910291079 ... LastLast
Results 14,671 to 14,685 of 17573
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    At least he hasn't bought an old hospital in order to lease it to the city at inflated rates like one did in Philly.
    Yeah, that guy could’ve been a hero here if he had offered the hospital to the city, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! He put greed ahead of altruism and decided to be a bastard instead. That’s something Philly residents will NOT forget.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I never realized how often I touched my face without even thinking about it until this whole corona virus thing started.
    Same here. It’s a big time habit for me, and a hard one to break these days.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Well, they can stop you from touching most of your face. That's something.
    This isn't the case and it's why wearing masks are not very effective in protecting you from the virus (although they may prevent you from spreading the virus if you have it already). You have to put a mask on--and you have to touch your face to do that--and then you're likely to keep adjusting the mask, so touching your face more. Nor do the masks protect your eyes.

It gives the wearer a false sense of security. I can understand that seeing a bunch of people wearing masks can make you feel like everything's under control. But when I see people wearing masks on the news, in situations where they're not actually doing anyone any good, I'm thinking those masks could have been donated to medical services where they actually would have done some good--like giving them to patients during examinations.

Also, most of the masks that people are wearing are for single use. They're supposed to be disposed of within a single day, not worn over many days. The designer masks (those Michael Jackson masks) don't actually do any good at all--except hide your face. Socially, in places like Japan, people want to cover their mouth to discourage social interaction--so they make sense culturally, but not medically.

Note: I was a hospital worker for twenty years.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    And that's actually pretty huge.

I never realized how often I touched my face without even thinking about it until this whole corona virus thing started.
    I realized that when I started cooking with habanero chilis.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    Also, the Chinese government is very likely lying about the actual numbers.

Urns in Wuhan far exceed death toll, raising more questions about China’s tally
    That is a very interesting statistic. Thanks.

There may be reasons China kicked out so many reporters.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51938035
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That is a very interesting statistic. Thanks.

There may be reasons China kicked out all the reporters.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51938035
    Another thing I read elsewhere is that cell service plans in the Wuhan province dropped by A LOT. I won't quote the number unless I can find the story again.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 03-28-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Retired

The stats I don't trust are those coming out of Russia. It looks like they've been hiding the actual number of deaths. And this has come to bite them--since now Russian people don't think it's anything to worry about and won't self-isolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The stats I don't trust are those coming out of Russia. It looks like they've been hiding the actual number of deaths. And this has come to bite them--since now Russian people don't think it's anything to worry about and won't self-isolate.
    The MAGA twitter bots (which do get a large part of their talking points from the Kremlin, via their troll factories) are 100% for "getting back to work" now.

BANNED

Christ this is exactly what I was talking about with that brain dead American exceptionalism nonsense. With all the egregious **** ups we've had during this crisis, some people's first instinct is to soothe their egos by making up unfounded claims that while it's bad here it MUST be much worse in countries they don't like. Would anyone actually believe that this concern is motivated by even an ounce of genuine sympathy for Russian or Chinese civilians?

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Then there is this fucker:

FBI: Man 'Fatally Injured' During Domestic Terrorism Arrest, Had Plotted Attack on Hospital Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

A monthslong investigation determined that Wilson was a potentially violent extremist, motivated by religious, racial and anti-government beliefs, according to the statement. He had planned for several months to carry out a bombing and decided to target a Kansas City-area hospital using a “vehicle-borne” improvised explosive.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Christ this is exactly what I was talking about with that brain dead American exceptionalism nonsense. With all the egregious **** ups we've had during this crisis, some people's first instinct is to soothe their egos by making up unfounded claims that while it's bad here it MUST be much worse in countries they don't like. Would anyone actually believe that this concern is motivated by even an ounce of genuine sympathy for Russian or Chinese civilians?
    It's possible to accept that the US is a completely fucked up country with a crazy fuckknuckle for a president and still see that China and Russia (a) are not Democracies and (b) are not our friends.

But you know that, you are just concern-trolling here.

You can go to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ and compare the "daily new cases" chart. Every country I looked at, the chart looks like different examples of how epidemics spread.

Every country except China. These numbers make NO sense:

February 12 may have been the day the censor got sick and had to be replaced with a new one.

BANNED

I mean this is the kind of attitude that has gotten us in the predicament we're in now. For months we were fed story after story about how the Chinese government was covering up the outbreak, and little to no thought was given to how we should prepare if it ever becomes a problem over here. And lo and behold, despite nearly two months of lead time we didn't prepare, and we now indeed have a problem, and we're still sitting here trying to accuse the Chinese of covering up the numbers as if that has ANY bearing whatsoever on what we should be doing to deal with the crisis at home. I guess the fact that the US has more recorded cases than any other country doesn't sit right with people, and we just HAD to go looking for evidence of some Chinese conspiracy, even though it's patently obvious that the number of recorded cases doesn't even matter because we are barely testing anyone so who knows how many cases there really are.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 03-28-2020 at 08:01 AM.

I mean this is the kind of attitude that has gotten us in the predicament we're in now. For months we were fed story after story about how the Chinese government was covering up the outbreak, and little to no thought was given to how we should prepare if it ever becomes a problem over here. And lo and behold, despite nearly two months of lead time we didn't prepare, and we now indeed have a problem, and we're still sitting here trying to accuse the Chinese of covering up the numbers as if that has ANY bearing whatsoever on what we should be doing to deal with the crisis at home.
    Having Trump scapegoat China does not mean we now have to cheer China on in spite of the fact it has no free press, no free social media and is locking up Uigurs in fucking concentration camps. For God's sake, try to walk AND chew gum for once in your life, Pwrd!

Very true.

I mean this is the kind of attitude that has gotten us in the predicament we're in now. For months we were fed story after story about how the Chinese government was covering up the outbreak, and little to no thought was given to how we should prepare if it ever becomes a problem over here. And lo and behold, despite nearly two months of lead time we didn't prepare, and we now indeed have a problem, and we're still sitting here trying to accuse the Chinese of covering up the numbers as if that has ANY bearing whatsoever on what we should be doing to deal with the crisis at home. I guess the fact that the US has more recorded cases than any other country doesn't sit right with people, and we just HAD to go looking for evidence of some Chinese conspiracy, even though it's patently obvious that the number of recorded cases doesn't even matter because we are barely testing anyone so who knows how many cases there really are.
    Those are 2 completely seperate things though.

Yes, the US should have been more prepared... but that doesn't mean people can't and frankly shouldn't crap on China for their handling of the situation. It's not an EITHER OR sort of situation.