Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I believe they contact the employer and go from there. I know that it is basically about 2/3 of what I usually make.
    Keep in mind they will add 600 on top of that each week.

I live in New York. I am doing all I can to keep safe. But the realization that I have a very good chance of contracting COVID is very real. More than that, there is always the thought in the back of my mind that this could kill me, and there is little I can do to stop that. I could die alone in a hospital corridor waiting for a ventilator. I am not living in fear, but there is a certain anxiety always present.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Living in a hotspot myself, I totally feel you on that. NY is much worse, but there's still a lot of fear. So, I've just been staying put as much as possible.

Be safe, man.

I believe they contact the employer and go from there. I know that it is basically about 2/3 of what I usually make.
    Your employer has already given them this information. It's just a summary of your wages/hours, then they calculate how much you get out of the maximum. Right now I think everyone is just getting their state's maximum amount. Plus the 600, eventually. They will back date the 600 once it starts rolling out.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Keep in mind they will add 600 on top of that each week.
    Not so far they aren't. The money hasn't been sent but I checked online and the payment is what I was told minus the taxes they take out. That $600 extra is a myth so far.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Living in a hotspot myself, I totally feel you on that. NY is much worse, but there's still a lot of fear. So, I've just been staying put as much as possible.

Be safe, man.

Your employer has already given them this information. It's just a summary of your wages/hours, then they calculate how much you get out of the maximum. Right now I think everyone is just getting their state's maximum amount. Plus the 600, eventually. They will back date the 600 once it starts rolling out.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

No problem. I was looking into the 600 yesterday, because my first two payments didn't include it. They're hoping mid April to start paying it.

I live in a city that is know for food, fun, parties, and lots of drinking. It is also the city with the highest Coronavirus related deaths per-capita in the United States. I work in a industry that has been hit hard by the economic downturn of the virus and other geo-political factors so I'm sure that lay offs are coming at some point. I manage a research and development laboratory and have done every thing I can to keep the people under me working full shifts because they get paid hourly.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Nice, that'll be more than what I'll make with the limited hours we're getting now (Less than half our normal hours).

6 more people got ousted today, along with 6 other people in the lab.....All new-hires. Thing is, they're not outright terminations. I've been told we're being put on furlough, and we can file for unemployment during the 90 days or so we're unemployed. The people in my dept who were just fired today were told to keep the computer equipment we were given......I'm guessing 90 days is a safe/minimum estimate by the company.

I'll probably be ousted in the next wave, or the following one, since it's based on tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    No problem. I was looking into the 600 yesterday, because my first two payments didn't include it. They're hoping mid April to start paying it.

Nice, hopefully it's accurate.....Especially on a weekly basis.

I take care of my parents, who are both retired. I'm wondering how much they're going to get, if anything. I know people on social security have to have filed their 2018 and/or 2019 taxes to receive anything, and they filed those when they were originally supposed to.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 04-02-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Retired

I've been reading that in the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918, almost as many Canadians died from that as had died in the First World War. I can't imagine how the people back then must have felt. They had just gone through a long drawn-out war (1914 - 1918) where they had given up so much of their own for a foreign war, only to have all the more taken from them in the following years from a foreign plague. No wonder people got drunk.

And then, during the Great Depression, those veterans that had survived wars and plagues, were out on the street, panhandling, with no jobs and no one to care for them, made to feel like refuse.

WWI was 1914 -1919, the Spanish Flu happened while it was still going on.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Nice, that'll be more than what I'll make with the limited hours we're getting now (Less than half our normal hours).

6 more people got ousted today, along with 6 other people in the lab.....All new-hires. Thing is, they're not outright terminations. I've been told we're being put on furlough, and we can file for unemployment during the 90 days or so we're unemployed. The people in my dept who were just fired today were told to keep the computer equipment we were given......I'm guessing 90 days is a safe/minimum estimate by the company.

I'll probably be ousted in the next wave, or the following one, since it's based on tenure.

Nice, hopefully it's accurate.....Especially on a weekly basis.

I take care of my parents, who are both retired. I'm wondering how much they're going to get, if anything. I know people on social security have to have filed their 2018 and/or 2019 taxes to receive anything, and they filed those when they were originally supposed to.
    According to an article on CNN.com People on Social security who did not file taxes will still get it. They will go off the Social Security benefits statements. My case manager is saying the same thing. So they should get them.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I've been reading that in the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918, almost as many Canadians died from that as had died in the First World War. I can't imagine how the people back then must have felt. They had just gone through a long drawn-out war (1914 - 1918) where they had given up so much of their own for a foreign war, only to have all the more taken from them in the following years from a foreign plague. No wonder people got drunk.

And then, during the Great Depression, those veterans that had survived wars and plagues, were out on the street, panhandling, with no jobs and no one to care for them, made to feel like refuse.
    The Bonus Army didn't happen by accident. On the upside, memory of that powered The GI Bill. Not because policy makers turned into warm fuzzies a generation later, but because they remembered what an angry bunch of vets might do, and there were millions of them in 1945.

It begs the question of whether and how a future generation might better weather a crisis 20 years from now, owing to this one's inept steering. What will be lurking in the backs of politicians (and wannabes) minds that provoke "can't do that again " in the next emergency?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    WWI was 1914 -1919, the Spanish Flu happened while it was still going on.
    The Armistice was signed on November 11th, 1918 (the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, as every good Canadian student knows) ending the war on the Western Front. The Treaty of Versailles was signed on June 28, 1919 and didn't take effect until January 10, 1920.

But yes the flu began before that and then continued until 1920. In fact it was already spreading through the military camps in Europe in 1917. As far as Canada goes (from what I read), in the spring of 1918, the first wave of the flu hit in Halifax, Quebec City and Montréal, then spread to the west across the Dominion. The virus then mutated and an even more deadly version of the flu hit in the fall of 1918, killing the most people. A third wave hit in the spring of 1919 and a fourth wave in the spring of 2020.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 04-02-2020 at 04:17 PM.

Ultimate Member

I now have a cousin with the virus in the hospital.

He's a cop (who was shot at back in July of 2018(?) in Dallas after the march by that shooter).

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Oh damn. I'm sorry to hear that. Please keep us posted on him! Sending good thoughts to you and your family.