Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Imacomicfan View Post
    I'll pair your classic scan with the newest one

I love the way they both look here. I'd like a sisterly bond between them.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Finally got around to reading Supergirl #40.

I love this friendship between Kara and Maxima. I really hope Maxima is not forgotten with the ending of this awesome run. If anything, she's even more awesome than she was pre-Flashpoint, and she has so much potential.

As to the lesbianism question? I agree with what some have said that the wording is open-ended enough that another writer could simply say that Maxima isn't attracted to Almeracian men. Although, I do agree that it seems likely that the writer intended it to mean "Maxima is gay."

Sometimes, writers just need to think about being more explicit if they're trying to build an important point. In Gail Simone's Wonder Woman run, she brought in Achilles, who she intended to establish as gay. The problem? The way she did it was open-ended enough that another writer could've easily disregarded that scene as meaning something entirely different. Achilles has been appointed by Zeus to rule over the Amazons as their king. In order to try to smooth some obviously ruffled feathers among the Amazons, Achilles proposes marriage to Alkyone (the evil Amazon who wants to kill Diana. Great choice, Achilles!) Alkyone makes it clear that the marriage is supposed to be a purely political union, with no "physical congress."

Achilles reaction is one of stunned disbelief. He says something like "Of course! I don't even like-"......and that's as far as that conversation goes. Gail, clearly, meant that scene to mean "I don't even like women." But, in truth, another writer could easily write that scene off as meaning "I don't even like YOU (specifically)" or "I don't even like bald women (Alkyone was bald)" or what have you. If it's an important point you're trying to establish? Be explicit.

Either way, I love Maxima no matter who or what she's attracted to, and I hope that we'll get to see a LOT more of her in the coming years. I think I can honestly say that Maxima has joined Aquaman on my (very short) list of characters who were truly improved by the New 52.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

You know i really honestly love the fact that made her seem so much more extraterrestrial physically.

It has been comfirmed:
    https://instagram.com/p/0c7F_ihln8/

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    You know i really honestly love the fact that made her seem so much more extraterrestrial physically.
    Agreed. I absolutely LOVE the orange ish skin tone (which reminds me of Starfire, one of my faves). Hell, I even had origins for each of her powers.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

Does anyone know if Post-Crisis Maxima will be appearing in Convergence? The tag line is "Every character you've ever known and loved battles for the right to exist" so it would make sense for her to be included.

Quote Originally Posted by RichHomieZod View Post
    Does anyone know if Post-Crisis Maxima will be appearing in Convergence? The tag line is "Every character you've ever known and loved battles for the right to exist" so it would make sense for her to be included.
    If they remember her, sure. But I think Perkins' Maxima might stick around.
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

I don't know if pre-reboot Maxima appeared at all during Convergence. I hope that Maxima has an ongoing presence within the DCnU both within the Superman mythos and the greater DCU at large. It would be nice to see her appear in one of the GL titles, Omega Men, Lobo, or Starfire.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

So ... a second Maxima showed up in Superwoman #14
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroex View Post
    So ... a second Maxima showed up in Superwoman #14
    What was she like? Any scans?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!