Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What do I need to know about The New 52?

I have a chance to get a lot of the new 52 tittle. Batman, Green Lantern, Superman, Justice League, and Teen Titans. Is there anything I need to know before I start reading them/ Is there anything I need to read before them to get me ready? Thanks in advance.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I have a chance to get a lot of the new 52 tittle. Batman, Green Lantern, Superman, Justice League, and Teen Titans. Is there anything I need to know before I start reading them/ Is there anything I need to read before them to get me ready? Thanks in advance.
    Are you getting them dirt cheap or free ?

Extraordinary Member

Oooooh, yeah, I don’t know if I’d recommend getting almost any of those. New 52 Green Lantern and Batman are pretty great, but those are the only ones I’d recommend reading and only up to a certain point.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Are you getting them dirt cheap or free ?

Dirt cheap. My friend is selling his comic book collection to make room for a new baby. He knows I love comics and is giving me a great deal.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

That it was a mistake...Lmao I'm joking (kinda).

Um, New 52 is a complete reboot so you can jump into them freely. However, DC did not commit to a complete reboot with Green Lantern and somewhat Batman. Batman is still easy to read but GL references past stories and doesn't really reintroduce old characters. The Batfamily went through a complete reboot but like I said not completely. For example, The Killing Joke still happened but Barbara regains the ability to walk again.

Superman, Justice League and Teen Titans are also easy to jump in since they actually rebooted. I guess you can read Flashpoint to see how the reboot happened.

Justice League and Green Lantern have a lot of crossovers and events going on, like A LOT. So I'm not sure if the material you're getting includes all issues of the specific crossovers.

Also, DC Universe is expanding their comics line so if you want to check out older stories or more new 52 comics it's available if you want. https://www.newsarama.com/44895-dc-u...mic-books.html

What you need to know is to cherish Batman and Superman in the New52, because when Rebirth comes around those books are going to turn into crap. Justice League and Green Lantern were good too. Many people hate the New52 Teen Titans, but at least early on it wasn't all that bad. Not great, but not as disastrous as people make it out to be.
    #EmmaWasRight

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Only need prepare is the GL issues. It related to lots of Geoff Johns run
    And others mostly just requiring your basically knowledge about those characters.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Well, the New52 started because of the Event Flashpoint.
    Also, Batman and Green Lantern are the continuation of Grant Morrison's run (Batman) and Geoff John's run (Green Lantern).
    The only things need to read in the New52 is:
    - Justice League: Trinity War + Forever Evil + Justice League: Forever Heroes + Justice League: Darkseid War
    - Batman: Court of Owls + Batman: City of Owls
    - Batman: Death of the Familly - I didn't like much
    - Batman: Zero Year - A new origine story by Scott Snyder that is so so

For the before you need to read:
    - Green Lantern by Geoff John's Omnibus vol.1-2
    - Batman: Batman and Son
    - Flashpoint

Aquaman by Johns was fantastic as was his Shazam series. Everything else was pretty bad.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Like others said, GL is a continuation of the pre-New 52 run so it's not totally new reader friendly, but it is very good. For Batman and Superman, there are multiple books. For Batman if it's Scott Snyder's volume you should be ok, but if it's anything by Grant Morrison it's another continuation from pre-New 52 stuff.

For Superman, if it's by Grant Morrison I say go for it. It's largely self contained and very new reader friendly. Can't recommend anything else as I either didn't read it or didn't care for it.

Justice League and Teen Titans I would not recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    . . . For Superman, if it's by Grant Morrison I say go for it. It's largely self contained and very new reader friendly. Can't recommend anything else as I either didn't read it or didn't care for it.
    Grant Morrison didn't write Superman (the comic book); he wrote Superman in Action Comics, and that screwed badly with the Superman title because nobody at DC really had a clue what Morrison was actually doing in Action Comics, so that required a lot of re-writing/re-working for Superman after initially approved work was turned in.
    (The situation was so bad that George Pérez quit as the writer on Superman.)

Another good one (but a bit controversial) from the New52 was the Brian Azzarello & Cliff Chiang run on Wonder Woman. It pissed off a lot of die-hard Wonder Woman fans because it made many changes to what had happened before (pre-Flashpoint), but it was otherwise a great read if you could accept the changes in a relaunched DC universe.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    What you need to know is to cherish Batman and Superman in the New52, because when Rebirth comes around those books are going to turn into crap. Justice League and Green Lantern were good too. Many people hate the New52 Teen Titans, but at least early on it wasn't all that bad. Not great, but not as disastrous as people make it out to be.
    Agree to disagree.

New52 went, for the most part, edge-lord the whole way around. And while technically a reboot, only some things with certain franchises were actually rebooted. Things like the original and the New Teen Titans were erased, original Wally West never was, Dick is stuck in the shadow of the Bat, the Amazons became sex pirates, etc. Only a few characters truly benefited from New52.

And honestly, since Rebirth, more and more stuff from New52 has been erased in favor of pre-Flashpoint events and what not. Even New52 Superman, after a series of circumstances, died, and later on, along with New52 Lois (whom was shoved off to the side) were merged together with their Rebirth counterparts.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Grant Morrison didn't write Superman (the comic book); he wrote Superman in Action Comics, and that screwed badly with the Superman title because nobody at DC really had a clue what Morrison was actually doing in Action Comics, so that required a lot of re-writing/re-working for Superman after initially approved work was turned in.
    (The situation was so bad that George Pérez quit as the writer on Superman.)
    Yes, I'm aware of this stuff. But not sure if the OP meant New 52 Superman as in the one that is called just "Superman" or New 52 books starring Superman, which can be Action Comics. When you say Batman and Superman, that covers a LOT of books.

So I'd recommend Morrison's, but if it is indeed just Perez's I'd give it a pass. Not that it's really Perez's fault, mind you.

Amazing Member

Is there a master cheat sheet somewhere that summarizes DC's history of reboot events by year, like:

1985: Crisis on Infinite Earths: Joined all DC's Silver/Bronze alternate universes into one and erased all previous story continuity -- in theory, though many violations in practice.

And so on through all the various Crises, Zero Hour, 52, Rebirth, etc. That would be super helpful when looking at a back issue or compilation to understand where it fits in.

Do you have the opportunity to grab Action Comics too? That was the far superior New 52 Superman title. Superman itself suffered from a lot if turnover and not as much direction outside of specific crossover material. But Action...that resonated with me to the point that I consider that my definitive Superman, and I've been a reader over two decades.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El