Page 67 of 581 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167567 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 8704
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post

It was in 2009, it's really funny in retrospect.
    These last five years have been unkind.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    It could also be that the Doctor just abhors violence in general, but a soldier's life is a violent one by nature. (it dawned upon me the other day that Series 4 twice had armies calling on the Doctor to lead them into battle, and he basically LOLNOPE'd out of both of them)

Go back and look at the classic series.

The Doctor has killed plenty of people.

The 1st doctor wanted to bash an injured man's head in for no reason but he was going to slow the group down.
    3rd has disingrinted (sp) living things hell 5 actually used guns. 6 tossed someone into an acid bath and made a bond one liner. 7 actually drove a Dalek into committing suicide.

look at what ten did in human nature....that is worse then death!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    Go back and look at the classic series.

The Doctor has killed plenty of people.

The 1st doctor wanted to bash an injured man's head in for no reason but he was going to slow the group down.
    3rd has disingrinted (sp) living things hell 5 actually used guns. 6 tossed someone into an acid bath and made a bond one liner. 7 actually drove a Dalek into committing suicide.

look at what ten did in human nature....that is worse then death!
    Yes, but he probably likes to think that it's not his job to kill, and only kills when he has to, as opposed to a soldier who, to him, killing is a fundamental part of the job. Not so for a Time Lord.

Additionally, let's consider scale here. Even if we took RTD's word that the Doctor was 900 years when the revival started, a death here and there is rather small in the long run of life experience, whereas a soldier in war has spent a significant portion of his life in battle. So killing is far (very far) from routine for him, but to the Doctor's perception, killing is part of the job (whether he's right or wrong is a separate topic). Hell, you bring up the Family, but there was no way to escape from them or leave them alone, as Ten pointed out. The only way was to imprison them, since they were immortal and non-corporeal entities; had they left him alone, they would have been free, but if he let them go, they would have been unrelenting in going after him. And there have been times where he killed out of self defense, rather than militaries that exacerbate the situation (consider the same episode with the Family and the intentional juxtaposition by the writer to have John Smith putting teenage boys into war for horrific contrast to the Doctor's nature). Also, several incarnations of the Doctor have grown enraged when someone dies needlessly, regardless of side or intent.

But keep in mind that the Doctor is full of contradictions, which is one reason why his character is so endearing anyway. You cite 3rd as an example, but he was also one of the first Doctors to constantly complain about the military, too (hence why he was so hard on the Brigadier early on).

As well, while the Time War affected the Doctor on a fundamental level -- starting with Eight, as we found out -- his previous incarnations like 6 and 7 never went through those horrors just yet, which perhaps changed his mind. Again, like Danny Pink, he struggles with post-war trauma too. In my post that you cited, I was referring to UNIT and the Judoon both wanting Ten to lead them, and he ran away from them instead. It seems any post-war Doctor would. Four and Six *might* have taken them up on the request, and Three (ever the trend-setter) and Five would have considered themselves above that sort of thing. But in any case, the war might have made the Doctor's attitude towards soldiers and violence much more consistent.

Also, but on a lighter note, the Doctor's preferences tend to change or increase/decrease per incarnation -- one Doctor hates cats while the other loves them. One hates pears and another one likes them, etc. That might come into play here, too.

Lastly, I'm not arguing that the Doctor's not hypocritical, either. Danny called him out on it. Davros did to Ten, and it stung. Nine tried apologizing for it. This past series opener left the possibility that Twelve might have pushed the Clockwork robot to his death. So just because he hates violence doesn't mean his life *isn't* violent. If anything, it could be that he hates violence because he's often in the center of it; and likewise a soldier puts his life in the center of danger as well. The Doctor could be seeing a soldier as a mirror that he doesn't want to look at. He doesn't see himself as a killer ("Coward, any day"), but he's done it, which many characters -- including himself -- have pointed out. And, above all else, Eleven has outright said that no one hates him more than himself. So it could be that the Doctor doesn't like soldiers because deep down he considers himself one, and by virtue of profession a soldier is an opposite of a doctor.
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-02-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Incredible Member

The first time I remember Doctor Who was a PBS telethon and it was the 4th one Tom Baker. But also remember Teela and K-9 and a couple other companions like Adric,Romana and Sara Jane.

Hadn't seen it since then until 2010 with Matt Smith and caught up on BBC America with the Eccleston and Tennant episodes.

Saw the 96 MGann movie a few moths ago. It was okay.

Trying to adjust to Capaldi. Glad to see them giving Clara more character development.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    The first time I remember Doctor Who was a PBS telethon and it was the 4th one Tom Baker. But also remember Teela and K-9 and a couple other companions like Adric,Romana and Sara Jane.
    Wait, there was a Doctor Who/He-Man crossover?

And if not for copyright, a He-Man and Doctor Who crossover is plausible.

Heck, ANYTHING crossing over with Doctor Who is possible. The Doctor can crossover with the Care Bears and nobody would question it.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

The Doctor Who / Eastenders 'crossover' wasn't so great.... ;-)
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Do you mean Dorium?
    Exactly him. The fella who was only a head in The Wedding Of River Song.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    These last five years have been unkind.
    Ah, not overly. The Think Of It, that interview, the family...and, sure, a little role where he plays The Doctor.

But, yeah, even then, he does look a fair bit younger, especially compared to now.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    And if not for copyright, a He-Man and Doctor Who crossover is plausible.

Heck, ANYTHING crossing over with Doctor Who is possible. The Doctor can crossover with the Care Bears and nobody would question it.
    ... I would. Crossing over with a property like the Care Bears doesn't really make sense, with what Doctor Who is, I think. A bit too silly, and edging on a side of DW I'd rather not see.

I can't really think of much which'd work, myself, other than obvious ones, like K-9, Sarah Jane, or Torchwood, which are the same universe, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Exactly him. The fella who was only a head in The Wedding Of River Song.
    In that case, it's not the same actor. Varys is played by Conleth Hill, while Dorium is played by Simon Fisher-Becker. But yeah, two large bald guys in major British shows? I think I made the same assumptions you did for a while there, too.

Ah, not overly. The Think Of It, that interview, the family...and, sure, a little role where he plays The Doctor.

But, yeah, even then, he does look a fair bit younger, especially compared to now.
    I can't see it -- he's always been pale and rail thin to me, and so always older-looking. But then again, I have trouble understanding Twelve's accent* while most others seem to get along just fine with it, so it could be just me.

*oddly enough, I've had no trouble understanding Capaldi in his other performances. It could just be the mix of kinetic smart-ass Doctor-banter with the usual amount of technobabble.

... I would. Crossing over with a property like the Care Bears doesn't really make sense, with what Doctor Who is, I think. A bit too silly, and edging on a side of DW I'd rather not see.

I can't really think of much which'd work, myself, other than obvious ones, like K-9, Sarah Jane, or Torchwood, which are the same universe, mostly.
    I think I mentioned it here a few months ago, but one of the audiobooks had Seven reference an adventure with "Zordon's people," which is implied to be the Power Rangers. I can't fathom it, but kudos to the author.

One thing about the IDW comics is that they love their crossovers, so I'm not ruling anything out for the Doctor at this rate. The DW/Star Trek: TNG crossover was kind of fun, but ran a bit long (and ironically, not enough of the Enterprise!).

In that case, it's not the same actor. Varys is played by Conleth Hill, while Dorium is played by Simon Fisher-Becker. But yeah, two large bald guys in major British shows? I think I made the same assumptions you did for a while there, too.

I can't see it -- he's always been pale and rail thin to me, and so always older-looking. But then again, I have trouble understanding Twelve's accent* while most others seem to get along just fine with it, so it could be just me.

*oddly enough, I've had no trouble understanding Capaldi in his other performances. It could just be the mix of kinetic smart-ass Doctor-banter with the usual amount of technobabble.

I think I mentioned it here a few months ago, but one of the audiobooks had Seven reference an adventure with "Zordon's people," which is implied to be the Power Rangers. I can't fathom it, but kudos to the author.

One thing about the IDW comics is that they love their crossovers, so I'm not ruling anything out for the Doctor at this rate. The DW/Star Trek: TNG crossover was kind of fun, but ran a bit long (and ironically, not enough of the Enterprise!).
    Power Rangers could be goofy fun, but would think them and Beetleborgs would go together better - maybe too well...

And no, I meant the main fella beside Daenerys, for Seasons 1-4 of Game of Thrones, fella with a silver beard, helps her out. Not Varys, but it probably isn't the same fella anyway.

Ah, I see what you mean about 2009 Capaldi comapred to 2014 Capaldi, but I still have have feeling. The face, or clothes, or hair, or even weight. Feels younger to me.

And no, I meant the main fella beside Daenerys, for Seasons 1-4 of Game of Thrones, fella with a silver beard, helps her out. Not Varys, but it probably isn't the same fella anyway.
    Well, I *still* made that mistake with Varys/Dorium

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

l could go for a Gilligan's island xover with the Doctor having to fix the Tardis with coconuts
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but if I was the Doctor, I wouldn't be all that sure about travelling with Clara anymore, after that bellyaching at the end. Or, at least give it a break...of about 17 months, or so!

I mean, I can sort of see where she's coming from, but it's like the case of Superman and the nuclear arms in Superman IV: Quest for Peace. Is it really the place of anyone to come in to say 'Now, this is right, I'm doing this and that's that - whatever you think', especially on such large decisions as killing a creature to save people, but destroying the Moon.

Or, letting the creature live, being a baby and a life.

In regards to Quest for Peace, at least not only was Clark Kent a US citizen, but Superman and all identities of this kindly Kryptonian is also a continuous citizen of Earth. I won't get into the big debate about the nuclear arms and all of that stuff here, but if the Doctor just decided, regardless of the creature, or regardless of the Earth/people/the Moon, it'd be getting near Time Lord Victorious in way of omnipotence.

And, in his judgement on what is right and necessary, whatever the Astronaut, Courtney and Clara said to him.

He's less like Superman, in that he's the travelling man, going from universe, to planet, to country, to time and on and on. He doesn't really live anywhere, except in his car. His home is where his heart is, and his heart always wants to flit from one place to the other, continuously.

So, I don't really consider him one of them, but an ally, a friend, a defender, a historian and a watcher. But not your average John Smith, wandering into the Post Office, and talking to you about David Cameron or whatever. So I still don't see him as having the responsibility.

More, he'd follow Clara into whatever decision was decided upon, whatever one it was and been a stalwart ally and stayed with them, even if, by his own admission, it wasn't his decision to make, so he would not make it.

Might've been a better compromise.

Though, I think the advice Danny gave Clara in telling the Doctor her decision when she was calm and him, was a good one. When she could better think, through all her emotions and such. Though I do hope next weeks' sticks to the preview, from what I saw, and doesn't have her, or tagging alone with Twelve.

Be nice to enjoy it where it's the Twelfth on his own, or with whoever he's around, for this Mummy adventure and the Orient Express in space and everything. A nice breather for them both and for me - wouldn't be happy with the Doctor and Clara next week, though in a fortnight? Maybe.