Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gambit and Kitty pairing by Chris Claremont

I was in Athens Greece comic con a couple of days ago and i went to see Chris Claremont. After the usual topics like Phoenix DOFP Cockrum Byrne etc he talked a bit about the time he got fired (thats what he said, i thought he left) from marvel the first time in the early 90s. He told us if he continued write the book back then we would never see the Gambit-Rogue pairing but instead Gambit would end up with Shadowcat (wasn't she in excalibur back then?) . I hated the idea but this man is the X-men for me so propably he could make it work back then. what do you think?

I don’t think it would work (it’s a generally skeevy idea) and I’m glad he isn’t working on any important X-Books right now.

I think he made Gambit/Shadowcat pairing in X-Men forever. Gambit is my favorite X male and Rogue is my favorite X lady. I am huge Romy fan. They had great and bad stories but they always had that crazy chemistry and energy. I doubt that Gambit/Shadowcat would work ever as good. But of course Claremont could make it work.

Fantastic Member

He's talked about how he intended Gambit and Kitty to hook up in past interviews (one which was linked here wherein he just talked about a lot of things, but kitty came up several times). Maybe he could have made it work, but I'm not especially interested in seeing it happen. He had a lot of odd ideas on where to take characters and what he wanted to do with them. Anyone who views Claremont as some sort of authority is just idealizing. He wrote some good stuff and was on the X-men for a long time and definitely helped shape them, his work will always be remembered by X-men fans, but I wouldn't put a ton of stock into what ideas he has for characters nowadays.

Isn't Gambit ... much older than Kitty?

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Isn't Gambit ... much older than Kitty?
    If i remember correctly she was 15 at the same time Rogue was 17 so no.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsify View Post
    He's talked about how he intended Gambit and Kitty to hook up in past interviews (one which was linked here wherein he just talked about a lot of things, but kitty came up several times). Maybe he could have made it work, but I'm not especially interested in seeing it happen. He had a lot of odd ideas on where to take characters and what he wanted to do with them. Anyone who views Claremont as some sort of authority is just idealizing. He wrote some good stuff and was on the X-men for a long time and definitely helped shape them, his work will always be remembered by X-men fans, but I wouldn't put a ton of stock into what ideas he has for characters nowadays.
    i would love to see what he intented to do to wolverine making him brainsashed enemy and colossus ripping the adamantium of his body plus the shadow king killing xavier in UXM300. i wish he didnt leave after x-men 3 cuz he was on fire back then. Lobdel and Nickienza were mediocore. When he returned in 99 Claremont was just good.

BANNED

Ughh his mind <3
    He recognized how limiting Romy is.

BANNED

It might've worked, but I've always disliked Gambit.

He also wanted to pair Rogue with Colossus during Revolution. A swap could be good.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Why does he bother when editorial never likes his pairings?
    "Cable was right!"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    He also wanted to pair Rogue with Colossus during Revolution. A swap could be good.
    Rogue and Colossus might be interesting, but ideally without the caveat that Colossus' mutation keeps her from absorbing his (happened once, I don't 100% recall if Claremont wrote that moment, but it's been untrue in every situation except for an impromptu kiss between the pair).

But I think ultimately she'd get fed up with his passive nature and move on from it. Amicably, probably, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Ughh his mind <3
    He recognized how limiting Romy is.
    Except he paired them back together in X-Treme X-Men and also for The End, so clearly Claremont was pretty happy with their pairing. Also he wanted Kitty to end up with Rachel, not Gambit.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Why does he bother when editorial never likes his pairings?
    Poor Claremont shipper.

Maybe that would save us of colossus and Kitty on Whedon and Gold.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    i would love to see what he intented to do to wolverine making him brainsashed enemy and colossus ripping the adamantium of his body plus the shadow king killing xavier in UXM300. i wish he didnt leave after x-men 3 cuz he was on fire back then. Lobdel and Nickienza were mediocore. When he returned in 99 Claremont was just good.
    Nicieza was the writer that got me to love the X-comics in the first place...he wasn't perfect but there it is nonetheless...