• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    The x office gave us world's apart and Storm's first solo. Right now, you are right, she's better in black panther. It sucks but let's go after the X-office.
    chaos, fans who wanted the marriage ended was promised storm would be doing big things once back in the xoffices control. world apart happened before so that doesn't count, but do you really think her solo book that happened well after the annulment was what they meant when said promise was made? is this really the only things we can point to after all this time? that's unacceptable so I totally agree for this reason the xoffices are the ones to go after.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    chaos, fans who wanted the marriage ended was promised storm would be doing big things once back in the xoffices control. world apart happened before so that doesn't count, but do you really think her solo book that happened well after the annulment was what they meant when said promise was made? is this really the only things we can point to after all this time? that's unacceptable so I totally agree for this reason the xoffices are the ones to go after.
    No I don't but the annulment happened after years of neglect in BP. For over a year Shuri got stories while Storm was cleaning bed pans. Then he left her to fight in Hell's kitchen. Let's not pretend that what Storm is facing in the X-office wasn't already happening.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I'm not jealous, to be honest, I'm just sick of it. I'm frustrated. Look, it was in 1998 when I went to my first comicstore and became a sub customer. That's when I started buying my X-Men comics. I was a voracious reader (well, I read all the time in real life about various things, so I can speak about a broad range of topics very intelligently), so I quickly devoured all of the back issues starting from when Storm joined the X-Men. I remember coming home from school, doing my homework, and heading out to the comicstore. I would go there 3 times a week to read back issues, talk to the store clerk about comics, and talk to other comic fans present. I made some friends there and we had constant debates in that store about "who's the most powerful and who's the toughest", so this partly fueled my desire to read comics so incessently so I could familiarize myself with Storm and their favorite characters as well so that I could counter their arguments. (The comicbook clerk owner even considered having a debate night where we fans could come in there and debate our favorite characters...he was especially compelled with my logic when I argued.) Anyway, as I got to know the character better and better, I saw all of the potential stories that could be told about her.

Each month I would go to the shop in hopes of Marvel finally doing something major with Ororo. Instead, I got the constant Jean and Cyclops shoved down my throat and I had to shell out money for the books with being a sub customer and all. I got tired of it. When CC came back to the x-books in September of 2000 (I forgot, it was either announced this month or that was his first issue back), I was elated and then disappointed since it was once more the Jean show in Revolution. I was suprised to see how he had Storm lose to every mind attack that came her way during that time especially with all that he had done to develop her mental defenses in the 80s. I started to hate Jean and Cyclops because they were not what I was reading comics for, but they were all we were getting. (I would have been able to read and maybe enjoy the occassional Scott and Jean stories if I had gotten my Storm stories as well, but that was not the case.) When X-Treme X-Men came along, I was like, "Yay! No Cyclops or Jean on the lineup," but then we got a lot of Rogue and a few Storm-centric stories with a Callisto/Morlock rehash mini. (I remember rolling my eyes when CC announced on the boards that the Arena Arc was going to feature Masque and Callisto He built it up and played a guessing game with us fans to figure out the villain. He told us the bad guy was somebody very powerful who had a very personal grudge against Ororo. You can imagine how disappointed I was to hear it was Masque. Of course, nobody was able to guess that since nobody thought of the Morlocks as anything powerful save for obviously CC.) Anyway, then Storm got married and everything went even further downhill from there in the x-books regarding Ororo. Then we get Jeen in place of Jean, and Jeen got all of the big storylines and interesting feats while Storm is lightning lass. Then we get Jeen being put on a team with Ororo in Extraordinary, and I knew that Storm would be weakened (Storm is always weakened when Jean is on the team with her no matter who the writer is). Then, we get this huge announcement months ago that Jean is coming back and will have a new major role in the MU. When it is finally revealed (this week), I see what Marvel had been planning for a long time. They want Jean to replace Storm as the number 1 female. They are giving her her own team with a Storm-esque mission. They are ripping off stories from Storm's solo titles to try and get the book going (albeit, they are adding improvements by giving Jean's team a strong villain vs. the weaklings Storm fought in her book), etc.

I honestly believe that the reason Storm has been written so badly over the years is because Marvel wants Jean to be their premier X-female hence they always try and keep an incarnation of the character around to give their better stories and feats to while holding Storm back, making her look incompetent as a leader before she finally abdicated the mantle of leadership to Kitty. Not only that, but they scale back her power showings and everything. To me, what they did with Jean in giving her this title with this mission is the final nail in the coffin to prove that they are trying to have her replace Storm.
    Yes you can believe that. It's not true but if you want to believe the lie, knock yourself out. Storm is being w ignored because of misogynoir. This is bigger than your insecurity with Jean. It's a bigger problem. When every prominent black woman is relegated to limbo, death vampirism or Guggenheim there are much bigger issues at the X-office.

No I don't but the annulment happened after years of neglect in BP. For over a year Shuri got stories while Storm was cleaning bed pans. Then he left her to fight in Hell's kitchen. Let's not pretend that what Storm is facing in the X-office wasn't already happening.
    even if what you wrote is true, which I don't believe it to be, with Black Panther she was a queen and a goddess, death killer. with the xmen after the marriage she was headmistress by way of sleeping with trollverine and unable to defeat a cloud. where was she really worse off?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

She was pretty kick ass in that first Amazing arc at least. I thought she was good in Wood’s first run too.

BANNED

even if what you wrote is true, which I don't believe it to be, with Black Panther she was a queen and a goddess, death killer. with the xmen after the marriage she was headmistress by way of sleeping with trollverine and unable to defeat a cloud. where was she really worse off?
    Again that's a lie. She was headmistress by choice sleeping with Logan after already choosing the position. She wasn't even queen, that was Shuri. Who became black panther at Storm's suggestion? Shuri.

BANNED

I agree with you that there is swagger jacking but don't support the idea that Storm is being relegated to back burner status to prop up Jean. That has never been true, it's not true now. What is true is misogynoir the x office doesn't like women of color and is using Storm to promote a hostile plot environment for all people of color but especially black women. Yes there is jealousy and anger and frustration and annoyance. That's fair, I want Storm in stories like Jean but I am not jealous I am going to fight for Storm because she has done everything in print to fight for us.
    Except you are wrong. Why do you think Storm's powers are always scaled back whenever Jean is on the team? Even from the start, when Storm was able to tap into the sun and throw a solar wind attack backed by the full power of a star before Jean became Phoenix, in the classic reprint of the story, they scaled Storm's feat back to her shooting lightning instead so that whole Phoenix Force Jean Grey could happen minus the plothole if Storm were given her true powers. They did not restore Storm's ability to control cosmic forces until the Brood Saga, when Phoenix Force Jean Grey was long dead. Then, we get in X-Men #3 where Storm's cosmic powers were again ignored so she could share a feat with Jean when Jean should not have been needed. Lets also not forget that every single time that Jean is on the X-Men, Storm's mental defenses against telepathy are greatly diminished to non-existent. There is only one time I can think of where Ororo was barely able to withstand a telepathic attack while Jean was on the team and that was in Uncanny X-Men #325 where a lowly telepathic Morlock tried to take Storm down telepathically. Ever since then, Storm has fallen to every mind attack that has come her way while Jean was on the team no matter who the writer was. When Jean was taken off the team, then miraculously, her mental defenses were back and CC even added additional upgrades to them in X-Treme X-Men. Lets also not forget the constant rehashing of Grey/Summer stories dealing with the Phoenix Force, Madelyne Pryor, Stryfe, Rachel, Cable, X-Man, Mr. Sinister and his obsession with the Summer/Grey bloodline, etc. that keeps being pointed back to ad naseum in X-stories while Storm fans get the occassional Morlock-centric Storm story thrown our way as a bone. Ororo has all of this rich untapped potential for stories yet to be told that would be unique to her character (while most Jean stories could be easily transferred to any super heroine in the MU. Anybody can have a child from the future. Anybody can be in a love triangle. Anybody can have an evil clone made of them. Etc.), yet all of that is ignored. There really is no stories left to tell for Jean anymore as everything about her has been fleshed out. So, now, they are looking at Storm's character and transferring to Jean some of the ideas that would be a much better fit for her character rather than giving Storm her due.

Don't tell me that Storm is not being written down to prop up Jean. You'd have to be blind to not see it.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    She was pretty kick ass in that first Amazing arc at least. I thought she was good in Wood’s first run too.
    wood she was taking orders from Cyclops and amazing, well, being a default leader due to your former loving going awal is not something I tend to think is that amazing. just me though.

Again that's a lie. She was headmistress by choice sleeping with Logan after already choosing the position. She wasn't even queen, that was Shuri.
    Storm was queen before Shuri because the regent black panther and you are right. Storm chose to sleep with Trollverine which resulted in her becoming a headmistress of a school he named after the woman who was always and is number 1 to him: Jean Grey. But I guess being headmistress of a this school trumps being queen of the most advanced nation in the MU, right?
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 02-08-2018 at 03:13 PM.

BANNED

Again, not being jealous here, but merely pointing out trends backed by canonical facts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Except you are wrong. Why do you think Storm's powers are always scaled back whenever Jean is on the team? Even from the start, when Storm was able to tap into the sun and throw a solar wind attack backed by the full power of a star before Jean became Phoenix, in the classic reprint of the story, they scaled Storm's feat back to her shooting lightning instead so that whole Phoenix Force Jean Grey could happen minus the plothole if Storm were given her true powers. They did not restore Storm's ability to control cosmic forces until the Brood Saga, when Phoenix Force Jean Grey was long dead. Then, we get in X-Men #3 where Storm's cosmic powers were against ignored so she could share a feat with Jean when Jean should not have been needed. Lets also not forget that every single time that Jean is on the X-Men, Storm's mental defenses against telepathy are greatly diminished to non-existent. There is only one time I can think of where Ororo was barely able to withstand a telepathic attack while Jean was on the team and that was in Uncanny X-Men #325 where a lowly telepathic Morlock tried to take Storm down telepathically. Ever since then, Storm has fallen to every mind attack that has come her way while Jean was on the team. When Jean was taken off the team, then miraculously, her mental defenses were back and CC even added addition upgrades to them in X-Treme X-Men. Lets also not forget the constant rehashing of Grey/Summer stories dealing with the Phoenix Force, Madelyne Pryor, Stryfe, Rachel, Cable, X-Man, Mr. Sinister and his obsession with the Summer/Grey bloodline, etc. that keeps being pointed back to ad naseum in X-stories while Storm fans get the occassional Morlock-centric Storm story thrown our way as a bone. Ororo has all of this rich untapped potential for stories yet to be told that would be unique to her character (while most Jean stories could be easily transferred to any super heroine in the MU. Anybody can have a child from the future. Anybody can be in a love triangle. Anybody can have an evil clone made of them. Etc.), yet all of that is ignored. There really is no stories left to tell for Jean anymore as everything about her has been fleshed out. So, now, they are looking at Storm's character and transferring to Jean some of the ideas that would be a much better fit for her character rather than giving Storm her due.

Don't tell me that Storm is not being written down to prop up Jean. You'd have to be blind to not see it.
    When legion was creating his time travel dome the only X-men that could fight him was Storm. When Jean was comatose inside of Emma's body who led and saved the team saving her, Storm did. Using Lobdell as a basis for your jealousy doesn't negate Storm's standing. She was the leader she made the hard calls and repeatedly saved everyone, including Jean. Who defeated the x-cutioner? Storm. Despite Storm's defenses being weakened under Lobdell Storm was still the stronger mutant by Lobdell's own writing. You keep forgetting that.
    Last edited by Chaos Reigns; 02-08-2018 at 03:14 PM.

BANNED

wood she was taking orders from Cyclops and amazing, well, being a default leader due to your former loving going awal is not something I tend to think is that amazing. just me though.

Storm was queen before Shirk because the regent black panther and you are right. Storm chose to sleep with Trollverine which resulted in her becoming a headmistress of a school he named after the woman who was always and is number 1 to him: Jean Grey. But I guess being headmistress of a this school trumps being queen of the most advanced nation in the MU.
    Storm stopped being queen and was relegated to regent and then left the book. Why do you care if she slept with Logan?

Storm stopped being queen and was relegated to regent and then left the book. Why do you care if she slept with Logan?
    Storm had a reduced role after Shuri became queen but was still in the book at times. and I care because she is much better than to lie with swine, and a character who ALWAYS put other women before her.

BANNED

Storm had a reduced role after Shuri became queen but was still in the book at times. and I care because she is much better than to lie with swine, and a character who ALWAYS put other women before her.
    Except he never did that while they were together and you know it. They had a friend's with benefits thing going on and that's it.

BANNED

There would be whole arcs where she wasn't seen or heard at all. Yeah she saved Shuri from a volcano but again her voice didn't move stories and was completely ignored.

Except he never did that while they were together and you know it. They had a friend's with benefits thing going on and that's it.
    while they were dating he practically ran out on her to find another woman:

tchalla most certainly never left storm for another b!tch.

There would be whole arcs where she wasn't seen or heard at all. Yeah she saved Shuri from a volcano but again her voice didn't move stories and was completely ignored.
    I agree with you about the voicing. it was not the best and should have been much better but my point is she was a royal of a nation that is most advanced in the MU. her reach at that position outweighed anything being headmistress gave her.