Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Like "Batman V Superman," "Suicide Squad" will be the latest profitable DCEU movie, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Excluding Ghostbusters- all those other films didn't have fans trying to shut down a website over opinions.

Nor were their fans openly hostile to anyone who didn't care for the film.

Plus how much hype was on this film considering the cast vs some of those others?

That is why you see talk of the weekend drop.

Fanboy behavior and movie hype. Remove that an you don't see these click bait ads.
    What does that even mean. Results are what matters. How this posts results is meaningless. The whole article talks about drops then at the end says oh yea looks like it will make 225 millon after this weekend domestic and 400 million ww. ?????

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    If CBR is gonna do these clickbait articles they could at least try and ascertain what a bad number is.
    Week to week it made a lot of money so you expect a steep drop for a single day comparison compared to a day with previews added in
    I thought we went over this last week with the friday to saturday drop nonsense
    Did Civil War flop in its 2nd week with its 74% drop?
    Did Gaurdians of the Galaxy flop? because last I checked it didn't even make 13 million on its second friday.
    Guardians Of The Galaxy is the movie I think SS is most easily compared to. Relatively unknown characters to the general public and definitely not your traditional super heroes. Even their soundtracks are somewhat similar.

I think SS did better first weekend out because it did have a MASSIVE advertising campaign, but now will ease back to GOTG numbers. That said, I think the Marvel films better scripting and editing (IMO) will give it stronger legs. So where GOTG did $770M worldwide I think SS will top out at arounf $700M.

That is still a big profit. At this stage I thing WB is eyeing Justice League to give then their first Billion dollar box office.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Amazing Member

It was a poor movie. Fox and Sony were slow to make corrections (I still don't know if Fox is going to overhaul the creative teams with FF and X-Men even after more crap being put on the big screen) so maybe Warner Bros. will smarten up. Zack Snyder should not take the lead for any movie let alone the DC franchise - he is awful. DC needs to make changes soon or their franchises will be toast before they even really start with this DC movie universe.

Also, let's be realistic here and maybe put the numbers/money aside. Did anyone think BvS, Man of Steel and Suicide Squad were good movies? I sure didn't. They were watchable and I'd never want to watch them more than once.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookMan View Post
    It was a poor movie. Fox and Sony were slow to make corrections (I still don't know if Fox is going to overhaul the creative teams with FF and X-Men even after more crap being put on the big screen) so maybe Warner Bros. will smarten up. Zack Snyder should not take the lead for any movie let alone the DC franchise - he is awful. DC needs to make changes soon or their franchises will be toast before they even really start with this DC movie universe.

Also, let's be realistic here and maybe put the numbers/money aside. Did anyone think BvS, Man of Steel and Suicide Squad were good movies? I sure didn't. They were watchable and I'd never want to watch them more than once.
    How in the hell is the franchise toast when you have the first three movie make over 2 billion at the box office to date. What universe are people living in.

BANNED

I stand corrected. (Or, more accurately, sit corrected. Typing while standing is an ergonomic no-no.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    How in the hell is the franchise toast when you have the first three movie make over 2 billion at the box office to date. What universe are people living in.
    Rhetorical question, right?

Or: how is the DCEU "toast" while the X-franchise isn't? Deadpool can't sustain all those movies...unless they only make Deadpool movies. Which they might!

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I stand corrected. (Or, more accurately, sit corrected. Typing while standing is an ergonomic no-no.)
    He's here all week, folks! Happy hour's at 5!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Like "Batman V Superman," "Suicide Squad" will be the latest profitable DCEU movie, too.
    Possibly not, though. BvS needed to hit $1 billion for it to really be considered profitable by the higher ups, and ended up topping out at $850 mill and some change. This one needs to hit $750 million minimum, and possibly as high as $800. It could happen, but they may end up taking a bath on it, like Sony with Ghostbusters.
    Last edited by meatwadf; 08-13-2016 at 03:27 PM.

All-New Member

They may have made a good chunk of change, but remember that theaters take about half of that, they have the production costs to pay for (which were extremely high in all three cases), and then there's the utterly massive marketing campaigns they've paid for. They seem to have been slightly profitable so far, but not by much is the problem. It's like spending $10 bucks to make $12. You can do that, but you gotta think is it really worth the effort. There may be better and more efficient ways at making money instead of cranking out critical duds over and over again that barely make back their costs, or possibly even lose some money.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by meatwadf View Post
    Probably not, though. BvS needed to hit $1 billion for it to really be considered profitable by the higher ups, and ended up topping out at $850 mill and some change. This one needs to hit $750 million minimum, and possibly as high as $800. It could happen, but they may end up taking a bath on it, like Sony with Ghostbusters.
    This is just ridiculous. Honestly i am really starting to think marvel is paying people for this utter crap.

All-New Member

This is just ridiculous. Honestly i am really starting to think marvel is paying people for this utter crap.
    Think that all you want, but it doesn't make it true. It's just simple numbers, sadly. It seems to be the end result of a summer blockbuster bubble that's been gradually building over the past decade. There's just such a glut of high cost movies that come out in the summer months, eventually they'll start cannibalizing each other. Something like this effects all movies, even Marvel. It's just that the ones with the worse reviews and word of mouth will suffer the most.

Astonishing Member

They may have made a good chunk of change, but remember that theaters take about half of that, they have the productions costs to pay for (which were extremely high in all three cases), and then there's the utterly massive marketing campaigns they've paid for. They seem to have been slightly profitable so far, but not by much is the problem. It's like spending $10 bucks to make $12. You can do that, but you gotta think is it really worth the effort. There may be better and more efficient ways at making money instead of cranking out critical duds over and over again that barely make back their costs, or possibly even lose some money.
    You have got to be kidding me. You have a franchise making over 2 billion on three movies in box office. Lord knows what in merc or streming of blue ray. What other franchise in history has ever been mirco analized like this? I have never seen anything like it. Its bizarre. No movie ever has done this well in august. Like ever. Its passing cbm after cbm and we have people claiming failure.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Possibly not, though. BvS needed to hit $1 billion for it to really be considered profitable by the higher ups, and ended up topping out at $850 mill and some change.
    If it hadn't been profitable, that would have ended the DCEU except for the films too far in production. Since this wasn't the case...
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?