Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-men: the ethics of resurrection

Do you guys think the X-books will better explore what it means to bring people back from the dead?
    What boundaries are the X-men now willing to cross?
    They seem to want to resurrect everyone, but some mutants might want to remain dead. What about those that killed themselves? Wouldn't the resurrection be against their own wishes?

I'd love to see a mutant responsible for actually contacting dead mutants and getting their consent before the Five did their thing.
    It would be a nice role for underutilized characters like Wicked, for example.

What do you guys think? Hickman's concept is fascinating, but I worry there won't be enough room to explore all the ramifications, especially mportant ethical ones.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I want to see someone being resurrected twice at the same time.
    Having two identical bodies with the same memories could really make people question if this is really resurrection, if this pod people are truly our beloved characters.

BANNED

You have to wonder how the 16 millions mutants that were exterminated on Genosha will react post resurrection. I'd be pretty pissed at the rest of the world.

They should bc it is unethical on so many levels. I dont get why more people arent disturbed that Xavier has been using Cerebro to make a mental backup of their minds which he could access at any time. Then he alligns himself with the likes of Sinister and other villians, whom could get access to that as well. Like WTF?!?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    You have to wonder how the 16 millions mutants that were exterminated on Genosha will react post resurrection. I'd be pretty pissed at the rest of the world.
    Considering they would most likely be resurrected with the minds/memories prior to their deaths (depending on Xavier's most recent back-up at the time) as we saw with Scott...They may not remember the pain and trauma of that event.
    And I'm sure there are post-resurrection protocols that enable easy assimilation into the this current, new Krakoan world. There would have to be, as I can't see the resurrected mutants being left to figure things out on their own.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

There are probably some who think this way (as far as I know some mutants don't want to live in Krakroa). Maybe Xavier has done something with their minds to make the idea more successible or maybe he has made deals though there is something that many are forgetting for more altruists they are the fact is they have failed for years to protect their students, their people, and are nowhere near the dream of Xavier coming true.

There is a weight on their backs that involves great sacrifices that they have made over the years even their happiness. Is it so absurd to think that these people would not come to the conclusion that their method is not working?

Reality can be harsh and sometimes we have to give up our dreams and desires in the name of a greater good even our own desires.

This does not mean that they have forgotten the dream or that they trust the villains but if they want to have their part in paradise it is time to change and grow.

I'm sure there will be conflicts over these decisions and even schism but if in the end they can ensure that mutants will be safe and Genosha will never repeat itself is not worth paying this price?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    They should bc it is unethical on so many levels. I dont get why more people arent disturbed that Xavier has been using Cerebro to make a mental backup of their minds which he could access at any time. Then he alligns himself with the likes of Sinister and other villians, whom could get access to that as well. Like WTF?!?
    Could there be a grosser violation of privacy?

It's like Google+Facebook on steroids.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Friends and family of the deceased will have moved on and remarried or just grieved and changed, it’s an ethical nightmare.

readers have been perfectly ok with comic book characters cheating death in the past.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    readers have been perfectly ok with comic book characters cheating death in the past.
    It’s the idea of resurrecting long dead characters, on people en-mass that causes the headaches.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whist View Post
    It’s the idea of resurrecting long dead characters, on people en-mass that causes the headaches.
    What headaches?
    In the MU...heroes, villains, humans all dying and coming back to life under/through any number of "mysterious" ways and circumstances is/should be accepted canon, by now.
    In the grand scheme of MU life...it really isn't that new or even entirely uncommon.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    What headaches?
    In the MU...heroes, villains, humans all dying and coming back to life under/through any number of "mysterious" ways and circumstances is/should be accepted canon, by now.
    In the grand scheme of MU life...it really isn't that new or even entirely uncommon.
    I don't think you understood that post. What's causing the ethical issues is the fact that the resurrections are being handled en masse, by a small group of characters that decided to bring back everyone, no matter if they wanted to return or not. It's a different scenario.

Mighty Member

The Afterlife has a revolving door in this universe. People are probably so used to resurrections that newspapers have protocols in place when it comes to people coming back from the dead.

My issue with the way resurrection was explained in HoX/PoX is that it made it seem like they were making copies (copy of a mutant's mind at a particular point in time + copy of their body) rather than preserving their consciousness and bringing it back to the physical worlds via a new body. If that's the case then an ethical conversation is absolutely necessary, because the mutants they 'bring back' aren't even technically the same person.

Or does the reality warping part of the process unify the soul/consciousness?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I want to see someone being resurrected twice at the same time.
    Having two identical bodies with the same memories could really make people question if this is really resurrection, if this pod people are truly our beloved characters.
    Everything that Moira and Xavier said in their logs was a bad idea, will happen inevitably. And I cannot wait.