Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by badcaffeine View Post
    what was up with Black Tom shouting "Mayo for Sam" while diving into Beast's stomach? I can't for the life of me figure out what that was supposed to mean.
    Wait...what? Did this actually happen? Would love a screenshot.

Look up Mayo for Sam. It's an Irish football thing Black Tom and Sean are both from County Mayo.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    It wasn't until reading your post that this feeling of detachment clicked. I couldn't articulate why this book felt the way it did, and then I read this and yeah, its taking place LITERALLY in/on Krakoa, and yet S.W.O.R.D. in outer space feels more connected/attached.
    It's one of the (many) reasons why I dropped it a while ago.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    It wasn't until reading your post that this feeling of detachment clicked. I couldn't articulate why this book felt the way it did, and then I read this and yeah, its taking place LITERALLY in/on Krakoa, and yet S.W.O.R.D. in outer space feels more connected/attached.
    S.W.O.R.D. is by far a better book, but the constant interruptions by cosmic events and skip months have really hurt it. I hope that whatever it becomes in the post-Inferno relaunch, Ewing is allowed to run with the story he wants to tell uninterrupted.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    "Russia is a country of constant, violent change. Of sweeping political and artistic evolution." Lol, I wish. No Russian would think like that these days.
    And it won't be for a while,Praise Tarn

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Thing is...I always hated Mikhail, from the very first. The long lost brother who was also this powerful mutant with mental and emotional issues was the ultimate cliche.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

I'm going to catch some heat for this, but I think the best of Percy's X-Force so far has been better than the best of S.W.O.R.D. The first arc was great imho. S.W.O.R.D has been good the whole run, but X-Force reached greater heights.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

The pandemic killed X-Force bc I thought it was good before that break, but since the return, its been a mess

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I'm going to catch some heat for this, but I think the best of Percy's X-Force so far has been better than the best of S.W.O.R.D. The first arc was great imho. S.W.O.R.D has been good the whole run, but X-Force reached greater heights.
    Nah, it’s all good. I strongly disagree, though. X-Force has had some great moments, but within some rather mediocre and meandering issues taken as a whole. The Cassara art has been fresh as hell, so that’s been a positive in terms of the issues he’s drawn. At least they looked great. But the whole Terra Verde plant-people thing just dragged on and on and on… it was highly frustrating to me after a strong start for this title in the beginning.

S.W.O.R.D. has been better written IMO and certainly used its huge and expansive cast better, and the issues drawn by Schiti were hot fire. Admittedly, however, it has suffered from scheduling delays and being interrupted by several cosmic events. So I’m hoping Ewing gets another shot with this rumored (X-treme?) X-men book featuring Cable and Storm as part of the post-Inferno, post-X Lives/Deaths of Wolverine relaunch.

I will say, however, that Percy’s solo book, Wolverine, has been consistently good IMO. So it seems like he just doesn’t do as well on team books. Again, just my opinion of course. You certainly won’t ever catch heat from me for a different opinion… that’s what it makes it art, more or less. Or at least entertainment, and therefore largely subjective in terms of taste.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    Wait...what? Did this actually happen? Would love a screenshot.

Look up Mayo for Sam. It's an Irish football thing Black Tom and Sean are both from County Mayo.
    Just posting to add a little more context on this one. Mayo is a county in Connaught on the west coast of Ireland. In the Marvel Universe, it's where the Cassidys are from. In the real world, Mayo have a talented Gaelic football team but are perennial underachievers in the sport (despite routinely making the All-Ireland Final in the last few decades). They're long-suffering supporters have travelled to Croke Park in hope many times in recent years, only to leave disappointed i.e. without the Sam Maguire trophy.

In the run-up to the final, "Mayo for Sam" is a catchphrase used by Mayo supporters whenever they make the championship decider. However, given their recent run of rotten luck, it's taken on a bot of an ironic twist and is often used by the rest of the country to take the piss out of the poor beleaguered Mayo supporters.

TLDR - The writer or someone else working on the book has links to Ireland and is making references that no one else will get.

BANNED

The only good stuff in this series has been Colossus and Domino.

Quentin Quire and Wolverine? Utterly horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    The only good stuff in this series has been Colossus and Domino.

Quentin Quire and Wolverine? Utterly horrendous.
    Really? I guess different strokes for different folks bc I thought the Colossus and Domino spotlight issues have been awful. You can tell things are going bad when Casera dips out and we got that fill in artist.

I thought the Quentin stuff was the best material to happen to this book since XOS

Wolverine...Percy just uses this book to set things up for his Wolverine solo, which has been annoying and made plots feel incomplete here and drag on over there

Quiet King 2 Regent Ororo RealEyesRealizeRealLies77's Avatar

Really Percy?This was the pivotal story that he wanted to write for Colossus?Thank god I flipped through and read a few parts before re-shelving this.It's really not worth picking this apart,everything was just atrocious.I'll stick to his Wolverine as he seems invested in good story telling in that book.If they did indeed chose Percy as the replacement for Hickman,Marvel just made it easier for me to pass on most of the titles in the relaunch.$$$ saved
    The Pessimist looks down and hits his head
    The Optimist looks up and loses his footing
    The Realist looks forward and adjusts his path accordingly

Pull List : X-MEN , IMMORTAL X-MEN , NEW MUTANTS , X-MEN RED , WOLVERINE, THOR ,ETERNALS , BLACK PANTHER , EXCELLENCE , KILLADELPHIA , NOCTERRA ,THE NICE HOUSE ON THE LAKE , LITTLE MONSTERS , BONEYARD ORCHARD , NIGHTMARE BLOG , SEVEN SONS

You know what, after thinking it over, I think the thing that annoys me the most is that this will be taken by Beast that he was totally right about Colossus and torturing all Russian mutants. The story seems to agree with him.

And yes I know he ignored/forgot about Magik back when it happened.

I've been super disappointed with the way Wolverine has been characterized by Percy and Duggan throughout this entire relaunch. He feels so......unimportant? Like nothing he's done has really mattered. and even when he's complained about what's going on its always in this pathetic "that's bad but I'm going to follow along anyway" kind of way. Despite appearing in multiple books and stories he hasn't really done anything that really felt like a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    You know what, after thinking it over, I think the thing that annoys me the most is that this will be taken by Beast that he was totally right about Colossus and torturing all Russian mutants. The story seems to agree with him.

And yes I know he ignored/forgot about Magik back when it happened.

I've been super disappointed with the way Wolverine has been characterized by Percy and Duggan throughout this entire relaunch. He feels so......unimportant? Like nothing he's done has really mattered. and even when he's complained about what's going on its always in this pathetic "that's bad but I'm going to follow along anyway" kind of way. Despite appearing in multiple books and stories he hasn't really done anything that really felt like a big deal.
    He ignored Magik cause she woulda murked his ass in an instant. Speaking of how disconnected this book feels, Percy definitely won’t be acknowledging her in this huge storyline about her siblings.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Thats not how the resurrections work and i would be more problematic to resurrect him with whole chunks of his life missing
    Beast specifically mentioned not wanting to die in the previous issue (or the one before) because he’s afraid they’ll bring back an old backup of him when he was happy and fun. So that tells me they keep multiple copies.