Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Hatter’s always interesting, because “uses hats or tech to control people” is a pretty popular version of the character, even if sometimes opposed by “Dude who really fixates on a Lewis Carrol story.” I mean, usually, they’re combined, but most of Hatter’s BTAS, Arkham and other Dini-penned appearances tended to treat the Carrol thing as fun flavoring rather than the main course.

Personally, I prefer a somewhat more lucid Tetch. He’s more formidable that way… like in Young Justice…

(Personally, my let peeves with YJ Bat villains are much more on Riddler being a bucked-tooth hipster, and Bane being jobbed out to Mammoth in his first appearance.)
    I keep forgetting that was Riddler.

Extraordinary Member

Realized another possible clue for the likelihood of Alberto and Gilda maybe being connected - their the only two main character specifically singled out to be shown smoking cigarettes.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Mighty Member

I just watched part one via rental…and they definitely made sure that Alberto was no longer a suspect. I’m really curious to see where they’ll go as now it definitely can’t be a straight adaptation. Hopefully they don’t pull a “Hush”.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Realized another possible clue for the likelihood of Alberto and Gilda maybe being connected - their the only two main character specifically singled out to be shown smoking cigarettes.
    It's implied that Gilda and Alberto were a couple but Falcone didn't aproove and forced his son to leaver her. I believe they could be both working together on a revenge scheme against the roman.

I thought this was excellent. Strikingly subtle and sophisticated. One of DC Animated's best.

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post

spoilers:
    Notice when the nurse mentions that Falcone sent flowers Gilda gets all nervous and pockets the conversation. I believe she reacts this way because Alberto Falcone and her had a relationship in the past. He even mentions falling in love with a girl but giving up on her because his father disapproved. I think the girl is Gilda and they're working together on the murders.
    end of spoilers

Haven't seen anyone noticing it but I'm almost 100% sure that's where they going wit it.
    I thought it was obvious. Have to say, I didn't enjoy this movie at all even though i remember liking the original book (haven't read it in quite a few years). This just feels like any other Batman tale, and not a particularly fascinating one.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I thought it was obvious. Have to say, I didn't enjoy this movie at all even though i remember liking the original book (haven't read it in quite a few years). This just feels like any other Batman tale, and not a particularly fascinating one.
    I think the appeal of TLH lies in it being the quintessential Batman noir story. You have most of the big-name villains, the Year One-era Mob characters, Gordon as a major character, Harvey Dent's transformation into Two Face, a bit of Bruce-Selina romance, a fair bit of action combined with a murder mystery story.

So ''just like any other Batman'' tale is a badge of honour for this

Extraordinary Member

The Long Halloween was always like any other Batman tale, just held together by an eventually anti-climactic and clumsy mystery and excellent art that elevated it.

The film is trying to compensate but reworking the mystery and the character arcs.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Long Halloween was Hush before Hush.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yeah, TLH has always been a story with an awesome premise with potential (the fall of organized crimes, the rise of the freaks and the Batman/Gordon/Harvey partnership devolving) that was executed in a so-so way, while at the same time being elevated by awesome art. Loeb re-telling the story two more times (DV and essentially also Hush) I think just highlights the weaknesses of the first.

The DTV can't recapture the magic of the artstyle, but it's otherwise doing much better with the basic plot skeleton so far IMO. It doesn't have the need of Sale's art to make up for its shortcomings the way the book does.

At the very least it seems like they're adapting it better than they adapted Hush.

Watched this the other day - it was alright. Not great. Not the next classic DC animated movie. Just fine.
    Could have just called it "Holiday Killer" or something, they changed enough in the end that it is more of an elseworld anyways than an actual adaptation - which I feared and improved nothing.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Watched this the other day - it was alright. Not great. Not the next classic DC animated movie. Just fine.
    Could have just called it "Holiday Killer" or something, they changed enough in the end that it is more of an elseworld anyways than an actual adaptation - which I feared and improved nothing.
    It seems I enjoyed it far more than you. Also I re-watched Joker recently and liked it much more the 2nd time. On long Halloween I liked all the characters and how they were presented. DC managed not to fuck up. Applause

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    It seems I enjoyed it far more than you. Also I re-watched Joker recently and liked it much more the 2nd time. On long Halloween I liked all the characters and how they were presented. DC managed not to fuck up. Applause
    That's literally all I can say about it - they didn't fuck it up. It could've been worse. I actually enjoyed this movie. I just...didn't enjoy it that much. Even if I had never read Long Halloween and went in with zero expectations I still think my reaction would be, "Eh, it's alright I guess. Mostly decent." And that's just not enough for the one time your favorite comic book story gets adapted. I can't give applause for simply not fucking up when the movie should've been damn great. I wanted Under the Red Hood or The Dark Knight Returns level quality of adaptations - I got a decently forgettable movie instead. Even if it wasn't actually bad, even if it was alright and kind of enjoyable enough, it's still very disappointing know how good it could have been. This is firmly entrenched in the "average" of middle ground films. And it's based on one of the greatest comics of all time. Just...meh.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That's literally all I can say about it - they didn't fuck it up. It could've been worse. I actually enjoyed this movie. I just...didn't enjoy it that much. Even if I had never read Long Halloween and went in with zero expectations I still think my reaction would be, "Eh, it's alright I guess. Mostly decent." And that's just not enough for the one time your favorite comic book story gets adapted. I can't give applause for simply not fucking up when the movie should've been damn great. I wanted Under the Red Hood or The Dark Knight Returns level quality of adaptations - I got a decently forgettable movie instead. Even if it wasn't actually bad, even if it was alright and kind of enjoyable enough, it's still very disappointing know how good it could have been. This is firmly entrenched in the "average" of middle ground films. And it's based on one of the greatest comics of all time. Just...meh.
    Maybe my expectations were low. I knew they wouldn't pull off Tim sale aestectics but I liked Bruce not being an ahole and Selina and Harvey were pretty cool. Never was a fan of Jason or UtRH.