Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are some good titles?

Hello,

I got into the DC Comics earlier this year. My experience has been half half, I was satisfied and disappointed with what I picked up.

I dropped these titles:

Detective Comics - Uninteresting Villains and plot

Batman and Robin - Went downhill

The only title that has been consistently good for me is "Batman".

What titles do you recommend? Feel free to leave some Marvel title suggestions as well.

Thanks.
    Last edited by AAXL98; 07-15-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Incredible Member

Bizarro!!!! I'm reading a grand total of four DC books. The rest lost my interest. Of those, I'm only in love with Bizarro. #2 can't come soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Bizarro!!!! I'm reading a grand total of four DC books. The rest lost my interest. Of those, I'm only in love with Bizarro. #2 can't come soon enough.
    Are you judging it based on one issue you read or?

Keeping checking out D C books and be open to what other publishers are putting out.

So what did you enjoyed?

You might wanna check out Lemire and Grell's Green Arrow.

Cassandra Cain Batgirl series

And Hellblazer from the beginning.

Or just read Vertigo books, 99% of them are good.

Grayson.
    Omega Men.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AhmedAliGHZ View Post
    Are you judging it based on one issue you read or?
    You asked for a good book. Bizarro #1 is a good book.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    So what did you enjoyed?

You might wanna check out Lemire and Grell's Green Arrow.

Cassandra Cain Batgirl series

And Hellblazer from the beginning.

Or just read Vertigo books, 99% of them are good.
    I actually enjoyed Batman and Robin after giving it a chance, but the artwork put me off at first. Eh... Batman has been great.

I don't like the artwork for the Cassandra Cain series, and it looks like they invented a completely new Barbara. They should just make Stephanie Brown as Batgirl in my opinion.
    Last edited by AAXL98; 06-12-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Action Comics by Pak and Kulder. Best Superman we've had in years outside of Morrison's work.

Justice League by Johns and Fabok. Not a fan of Johns or most of his JL work, but its been damned good since Fabok came on.

Bizarro by....whoever. One issue in and its an absolute blast.

Black Canary comes out this coming week (the 17th) and it looks very promising. Robin, Son of Batman seems like it has potential, and so does We Are Robin. Grayson is really good and I liked what little I've seen of Green Arrow's new creative team (I have yet to read the issue). If you like weird comics with a gallow's sense of humor, read Section 8 and then hunt down the old 90's series it came from, Hitman.

Outside of DC, I'd hunt down Green Hornet by Mark Waid, published by IDW (or was it BOOM!?), (really well done pulp style work with mostly clean, sharp art) Invincible by Robert Kirkman (the most heartfelt, violent, gripping, emotional superhero comic on earth, it'll draw you in and never let go), Saga, and Black Science, all from Image. Anything Hellboy related by Dark Horse, and Black Beetle, also I believe by Dark Horse, but only if you're a fan of the pulps.

For stuff from Marvel, its hard to say given that they're in the middle of Secret Wars and we're not sure yet what the Marvel U will look like when the dust settles, but I've enjoyed Ms. Marvel, Loki, Spider-Gwen, and Jason Aaron's Thor work.

But its hard to recommend good books, since quality is subjective and you only listed your opinion on a couple titles. Not to mention that DC is only two weeks past Convergence and Marvel isnt finished their big Event yet, so most of their titles are up in the air.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'd recommend Aquaman #1-40. It's Fun.

Azz' WW is awesome too.

If you like more vertigo-like kinda books i'd say Ex-Machina or Y: The Last Man (Both by Brian K Vaughn). He is GOOD.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

GRAYSON
    CATWOMAN (#35-onwards)
    AQUAMAN

OMEGA MEN and HELLBLAZER are both off to real promising starts. BLACK CANARY will almost certainly be a wonderful book.

At IMAGE, LAZARUS rocks.

If you're in the mood for some TPBs, Morrison's ACTION COMICS, Azzarello's WONDER WOMAN, and Soule's SWAMP THING are both fantastic comic books.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-14-2015 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Action Comics by Pak and Kulder. Best Superman we've had in years outside of Morrison's work.

Justice League by Johns and Fabok. Not a fan of Johns or most of his JL work, but its been damned good since Fabok came on.

Bizarro by....whoever. One issue in and its an absolute blast.

Black Canary comes out this coming week (the 17th) and it looks very promising. Robin, Son of Batman seems like it has potential, and so does We Are Robin. Grayson is really good and I liked what little I've seen of Green Arrow's new creative team (I have yet to read the issue). If you like weird comics with a gallow's sense of humor, read Section 8 and then hunt down the old 90's series it came from, Hitman.

Outside of DC, I'd hunt down Green Hornet by Mark Waid, published by IDW (or was it BOOM!?), (really well done pulp style work with mostly clean, sharp art) Invincible by Robert Kirkman (the most heartfelt, violent, gripping, emotional superhero comic on earth, it'll draw you in and never let go), Saga, and Black Science, all from Image. Anything Hellboy related by Dark Horse, and Black Beetle, also I believe by Dark Horse, but only if you're a fan of the pulps.

For stuff from Marvel, its hard to say given that they're in the middle of Secret Wars and we're not sure yet what the Marvel U will look like when the dust settles, but I've enjoyed Ms. Marvel, Loki, Spider-Gwen, and Jason Aaron's Thor work.

But its hard to recommend good books, since quality is subjective and you only listed your opinion on a couple titles. Not to mention that DC is only two weeks past Convergence and Marvel isnt finished their big Event yet, so most of their titles are up in the air.
    Black Canary is being done by the same people who are doing Batgirl, I would avoid that one.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Black Canary is being done by the same people who are doing Batgirl, I would avoid that one.
    Why? It's a completely different target audience.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Why? It's a completely different target audience.
    Because OP summed up Batgirl quite nicely "Cringe Worthy dialogue and Choppy plot." So it is unlikely that he'd want Black Canary, when the same team looks to be doing the same thing to Dinah.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Because OP summed up Batgirl quite nicely "Cringe Worthy dialogue and Choppy plot." So it is unlikely that he'd want Black Canary, when the same team looks to be doing the same thing to Dinah.
    We do not have context for which issues he read. That sentence could easily describe Batgirl before the new team took over. His comment on uninteresting villains for Detective Comics sounds a whole lot more like the pre- Brian Buccellato/Francis Manapul team.